Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Nissan Pathfinder

Old 07-14-16, 06:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's all fine and dandy on paper, but in the real world of transmissions, it doesn't always work that way.....even with the so-called "grade-logic" programming. Being an engineer, you must surely know that. Most stepped-gear, planetary-gearset, torque-converter automatics (as opposed to CVTs and SMG/DSG transmissions) are supposed to drop a gear under moderate or strong throttle pressure, but sometimes, and for various reasons, that either doesn't happen (and the engine just lugs along at slow speeds in a higher gear). Or, if it does kick down, it is lazy and takes its sweet time about it. Sometimes this is done for fuel-economy reasons, as the automakers want to keep engine RPM down as much as possible for CAFE ratings. More gears in the transmission should, theoretically, narrow the ratio between the gears, and make it easier for the kick-down to work, but, again, it doesn't always work that way.
That may be so but the modern dumb driver (I would say that would be 95% of all drivers) would not know how to use a manual shift feature. Even those who do -- like all those boy-racer auto-reviewers -- do not use them. Those auto-reviewers themselves claim that they will try the manual shift feature once or twice and then forget it, just letting the transmission shift for itself.
Old 07-14-16, 07:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's all fine and dandy on paper, but in the real world of transmissions, it doesn't always work that way.....even with the so-called "grade-logic" programming. Being an engineer, you must surely know that. Most stepped-gear, planetary-gearset, torque-converter automatics (as opposed to CVTs and SMG/DSG transmissions) are supposed to drop a gear under moderate or strong throttle pressure, but sometimes, and for various reasons, that either doesn't happen (and the engine just lugs along at slow speeds in a higher gear). Or, if it does kick down, it is lazy and takes its sweet time about it. Sometimes this is done for fuel-economy reasons, as the automakers want to keep engine RPM down as much as possible for CAFE ratings. More gears in the transmission should, theoretically, narrow the ratio between the gears, and make it easier for the kick-down to work, but, again, it doesn't always work that way.
The "real world" of transmissions? Sulu nailed the real world of transmissions--move outside of the tiny percentage of drivers who are in these forums, and ask them if they have ever shifted their transmission to another forward gear other than "D". See how low that percentage is....I'm telling you, it's really low.

And, it has to be a low percentage. Because it's getting near impossible to find a car with an MT. And if you don't know how to drive and MT, chances are, you don't understand the point of shifting through the gears. And if you don't understand the point of shifting through gears, you certainly aren't going to do it on an AT.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-15-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Which version of the Pacifica did you sample? The full-review I did was on the Touring version.....admittedly one of the lower-priced versions. Conversely, the review I did on the Sedona was the version (I think) that you own....the top-line SXL.
It was a loaded Limited, that did not have the 20" wheels. Yes my Sedona is a completely loaded SX-L.
Old 07-15-16, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The "real world" of transmissions?
What I meant by that term (maybe I could have chosen something more clear) was the experience I've had with most traditional, non-CVT automatics. Some of them have been programmed quite well, and readily kick down under part throttle without manual-downshifting. But many others are sluggish, lazy, or appear to have programmed mostly for CAFE numbers.
Old 07-15-16, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
T

And, it has to be a low percentage. Because it's getting near impossible to find a car with an MT. And if you don't know how to drive and MT, chances are, you don't understand the point of shifting through the gears. And if you don't understand the point of shifting through gears, you certainly aren't going to do it on an AT.
I agree that any drivers have no conception of when they should manually downshift or upshift an automatic. They just sit there and let the engine lug along at low RPMs in high gear at low speeds. That's fine on a highway if you are actually going fast enough, but can be very hard on the engine if you (or the transmission) are lugging it at 1500 RPM at slow or moderate speeds.
Old 07-15-16, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Somehow, we all got off topic with transmission-programming. We were discussing the new Pathfinder.
Old 07-15-16, 05:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree that any drivers have no conception of when they should manually downshift or upshift an automatic. They just sit there and let the engine lug along at low RPMs in high gear at low speeds. That's fine on a highway if you are actually going fast enough, but can be very hard on the engine if you (or the transmission) are lugging it at 1500 RPM at slow or moderate speeds.
What can a driver -- especially a modern, dumb driver -- do about that? If the autotrans in a modern car cannot take care of that situation, it is not a modern autotrans. It is so easy to program a modern autotrans to save itself.
Old 07-18-16, 07:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just had a '16 Pathfinder for a rental.

It was a lower trim level, and it was remarkably cheap inside. Lots and lots of hard plastics everywhere. Hopefully some of that was addressed with the '17 update. I was expecting it to be more on par with my sister's new Murano, which has really impressed me with its materials, fit, and finish.

On the plus side, the ride was pretty compliant, the CVT was much less annoying than I had expected, and it was very roomy, with the exception of the cargo space behind the third row, which couldn't even fit a small/medium sized cooler.
Old 07-18-16, 01:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just had a '16 Pathfinder for a rental.

It was a lower trim level, and it was remarkably cheap inside. Lots and lots of hard plastics everywhere. Hopefully some of that was addressed with the '17 update. I was expecting it to be more on par with my sister's new Murano, which has really impressed me with its materials, fit, and finish.

On the plus side, the ride was pretty compliant, the CVT was much less annoying than I had expected, and it was very roomy, with the exception of the cargo space behind the third row, which couldn't even fit a small/medium sized cooler.
I feel like Nissan does a nice job on the styling and fit/finish on their "premium" cars like the Patrol, Maxima, Murano, and Infiniti line. Its just their mainstream cars are flat out ugly and very cheaply finished(Altima, Sentra, Rogue, Pathfinder, Frontier, etc). Its kind of crazy how wide the quality gap is with Nissan between their cheap and expensive cars.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-18-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The QX60 never had great materials either. I haven't seen a 17 Pathfinder, but I have seen a 17 QX60 refresh and the materials are better, theres a sitched leather dash, etc.
Old 07-18-16, 01:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

One other annoyance I forgot to mention was that the liftgate doesn't lift high enough. I'm only 5'10" and couldn't stand up under it without hitting my head. Very frustrating.
Old 07-18-16, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think I recall the height being adjustable...
Old 07-18-16, 01:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

One other annoyance I forgot to mention was that the liftgate doesn't lift high enough. I'm only 5'10" and couldn't stand up under it without hitting my head. Very frustrating.
I'm going to be a bit sexist here and say the Pathfinder is not a man's car. Its designed for the wife with kids, as in if the liftgate were higher your short wife would struggle to get it closed.
Old 07-18-16, 01:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think I recall the height being adjustable...
I believe it only is adjustable on the powered hatch. Our rental was manual.

(I could be wrong, but if there was an adjustment, I couldn't find it)
Old 07-18-16, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I believe it only is adjustable on the powered hatch. Our rental was manual.

(I could be wrong, but if there was an adjustment, I couldn't find it)
Makes sense. My experience is with the QX60...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Nissan Pathfinder