Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Nissan Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 06:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2017 Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan revealed the refreshed 2017 Pathfinder today, showing a more rugged looking and more powerful version of the model that debuted in 2013. The 2017 model will mark the 30th anniversary of the debut of the original boxy Pathfinder, and Nissan is marking the occasion with a facelift for the new one.

This is a refresh, not an all-new model. As such, it still resembles the outgoing 2016 model in many respects. The profile remains mostly the same, but the front and rear facias have been reworked. There are new designs for the headlights, taillights, foglights, and daytime running lights. A new grill surrounds all this new lighting, butting up against a raised and slightly bulkier hood. Overall, it does give the front of the new Pathfinder a slightly more butch appearance than the outgoing model, though nothing close to the old body-on-frame vehicles of yesteryear.

Underneath the skin, the 2017 Pathfinder still closely resembles the model that debuted in 2013. There are some advanced safety features like collision mitigation available on upper trim models. The suspension has been stiffened slightly and Nissan engineers adjusted the steering, but the four-wheel-drive system continues unchanged.

The biggest change mechanically comes under the hood. Nissan admits that the 3.5-liter V6 is not a new design, but it does employ quite a few new parts. The engine now cranks out 284 horsepower and 259 pound-feet of torque (up from 260 hp and 250 lb-ft). It uses direct injection and, in combination with a decreased drag coefficient, achieves the same fuel economy numbers as the 2016 model. The increased power output raises towing capacity to an impressive 6,000 pounds.

Inside, the Pathfinder benefits from a slightly redesigned console as well as a larger eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The Pathfinder will be available with the company's divisive NissanConnect system. With a subscription, customers will have access to emergency services, remote access, and three years of Sirius XM Traffic and Travel service.
Source and Gallery
Old 07-07-16, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

Nissan admits that the 3.5-liter V6 is not a new design, but it does employ quite a few new parts. The engine now cranks out 284 horsepower and 259 pound-feet of torque (up from 260 hp and 250 lb-ft). It uses direct injection and, in combination with a decreased drag coefficient, achieves the same fuel economy numbers as the 2016 model. The increased power output raises towing capacity to an impressive 6,000 pounds.
Does this mean we can expect the Infiniti QX60 follow suit?
Old 07-07-16, 09:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hope they fixed the slipping transmission that plagued the early versions(model year 2013-2014) of this truck that resulted in a class action lawsuit being filed against Nissan.

Of course the previous generation Pathfinder, the body on frame truck that used a conventional torque converter automatic was also the subject of a class action lawsuit because of a defective radiator/transmission cooler that fails and lets coolant into the transmission.

Nissan quality just isn't what it used to be. My neighbor still has his 1990 Pathfinder, 500,000 miles on it. Still looks nice as well, no rust, clean interior, passes emissions.
Old 07-07-16, 10:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nissan's quality has been constant since the early 2000s. And at least Nissan went through many measures to make sure the early CVT disaster doesn't happen again. They came down pretty hard on Jatco, their captive supplier.
Old 07-08-16, 03:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A fair update, but not enough to propel this model to higher sales status. And it certainly is not a finder of paths. Time for a name change for this mommymobile.

Nissan seems content making okay vehicles. I guess that works, but I'd strive for higher achievements if in charge.
Old 07-08-16, 04:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Nissan's quality has been constant since the early 2000s. And at least Nissan went through many measures to make sure the early CVT disaster doesn't happen again. They came down pretty hard on Jatco, their captive supplier.
Yeah I'd say its constantly crap since Renault took over back in the early 2000's. I'd take a GM or Ford product any day of the week over their mediocre, boring designs and questionable quality.
Old 07-08-16, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah I'd say its constantly crap since Renault took over back in the early 2000's. I'd take a GM or Ford product any day of the week over their mediocre, boring designs and questionable quality.
The new Maxima is boring?!?

On the other side of it, I'll agree the Z has been seriously neglected since it's last redesign in 2009.
Old 07-08-16, 04:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The new Maxima is boring?!?

On the other side of it, I'll agree the Z has been seriously neglected since it's last redesign in 2009.
They do make a few cool things like the GTR, Maxima, and Patrol, but honestly look at how dull, indifferently built and lousy to drive some of their cars are like the Sentra, Frontier, Armada, this Pathfinder, Altima, etc.
Old 07-08-16, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Over the years, Pathfinders went back and forth between body-on-frame and unibody design for several successive generations. Looks like they have finally decided to stick with unibody. Which, for today's SUV market, probably makes sense. Body-on-frame usually works best for off-roading, Except for owners of classic mountain goats like the Jeep Wrangler and Nissan XTerra (and the XTerra has now been discontinued in the American market), only about 5-10% of today's SUV owners actually go off-road today in a traditional sense (and a number of insurance policies won't cover off-road damage). So, the vast majority of today SUVs have basically become soccer-mom and/or suburban shopping vehicles for bad weather.
Old 07-08-16, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
And it certainly is not a finder of paths. Time for a name change for this mommymobile.
You could say that for most SUVs. It is traditional for them to be given rugged off-road names, whether they are actually used for that purpose or not.....and, of course, most today are not, except for the Jeep Wrangler.
Old 07-08-16, 05:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I'd like to see Nissan take the Pathfinder back to it's roots. Toyota has the 4Runner and that works. The Murano already does the mommymobile duty. Don't really need two in that category even though one is slightly larger than the other. With the Xterra on it's way out, the need for something more athletic (off-road) seems appropriate.
Old 07-08-16, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd like to see Nissan take the Pathfinder back to it's roots. Toyota has the 4Runner and that works.
The Pathfinder, decades ago, actually had the same roots as the original 4Runner.....essentially a low-grade pickup with a factory-designed camper shell on it with not even seats inside for passengers.

Old 07-08-16, 06:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Toyota has kept the 4Runner as an off-roader, so should Nissan.
Old 07-08-16, 07:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd like to see Nissan take the Pathfinder back to it's roots. Toyota has the 4Runner and that works. The Murano already does the mommymobile duty. Don't really need two in that category even though one is slightly larger than the other. With the Xterra on it's way out, the need for something more athletic (off-road) seems appropriate.
The Murano and Pathfinder fit very specific (and now distinct) market niches, matching CUVs in Ford's lineup. The Murano (and Ford Edge) fill the 2-row, "lifestyle" crossover niche. The Pathfinder (and Ford Explorer and Toyota Highlander) fill the 3-row, "family" crossover niche.

With the demise of the Venza, Toyota will be missing from the 2-row lifestyle crossover slot. The Toyota is too small, IMO, to fill this mid-size 2-row slot.
Old 07-08-16, 07:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Toyota has kept the 4Runner as an off-roader, so should Nissan.
But nobody is buying true, BOF, off-roading SUVs anymore. Nobody bought the Xterra so Nissan got rid of it.

Quick Reply: 2017 Nissan Pathfinder