Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AAA Fuel quality research: Proprietary research into effectiveness of fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 07:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AAA Fuel quality research: Proprietary research into effectiveness of fuel additives

everything you wanted to know and more about fuel additives and their effectiveness......

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
Old 07-07-16, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

to save clicks...

Key Findings:
1. The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg)
2. Based upon secondary research findings, long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2-4%, drivability issues, and increased emissions.
3. In most cases, carbon deposits can be reduced or removed from critical engine components by switching to a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards.
4. Approximately six in ten drivers (63%) believe there is a difference in the quality of gasoline sold by retailers, yet only (12%) of drivers purchase gasoline based upon its detergent additive package. The primary motivation for choosing a particular gas station is location / convenience (75%), followed closely by the price of the fuel (73%).
5. Most TOP TIER gasolines do not cost significantly more than non-TOP TIER gasoline. The average price difference between the TOP TIER and non-TOP TIER brands surveyed was three cents per gallon over a 12-month period.
Old 07-07-16, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not knowing who and who isn't 'top tier' i looked it up

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

the two gas stations i use (race trak and marathon, next to one another, i just pick whichever is cheaper or emptier ) are not on the list.
Old 07-07-16, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

then i look at this and see a couple of things...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...__fuel_quality
Old 07-07-16, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i wonder who funded aaa's "study"
Old 07-07-16, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

marathon has stp additives apparently, but i guess doesn't want to pay top tier's "license fees"

http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/bra...Additives/Q_A/
Old 07-07-16, 10:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
marathon has stp additives apparently, but i guess doesn't want to pay top tier's "license fees"

http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/bra...Additives/Q_A/
from your link above...

Every gasoline additive sold in the US needs to be registered with the EPA, whether it's a miracle in a bottle or a bulk additive meant to be added to fuel at the terminal. Even denatured ethanol has to be registered, and that's the only additive from Marathon that's registered.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/regist...ls/web-gas.htm

STP is listed as "STP Products Manufacturing Company c/o Armored AutoGroup Inc.". All additives appear to be bottled aftermarket stuff, and none had a marking in the "Certified Detegent" column for detergent additives meant to go into bulk fuel. I'm guessing this means that it's been certified with test results to meet the EPA's minimum cleanliness standards.

So I would think that STP probably just attaches their name to some other certified bulk additive from BASF, Afton, etc.
Old 07-07-16, 10:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

test of different brands.....(Marathon is in there)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/tea...74.html?ref=gs
Old 07-07-16, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
from your link above...
took me a while to figure out which link you were referring to and which page, but here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3499254/2

as this forum poster says, they're GUESSING marathon only conforms to minimum EPA standards, but on marathon's own site here:

it says:

Compared to gasolines using only the minimum EPA required dose of detergent additives, Marathon gasolines with STP Additives contain additional deposit control detergents. These detergents are designed to help prevent the buildup of performance-robbing deposits, thus helping to maintain engine cleanliness.
plus the 'stp additives' aren't related to the stp bottled stuff, it's just a name licensing deal.

regardless, i don't care. i've never had an issue with gas ever. i have no interest in 'religious' arguments about gas, oil, 'miracles in a bottle' (to quote that poster), etc.
Old 07-07-16, 12:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

regardless, i don't care. i've never had an issue with gas ever. i have no interest in 'religious' arguments about gas, oil, 'miracles in a bottle' (to quote that poster), etc.
nah, I haven't either and don't really really care but it is interesting to note some of the results...

indicates the highest detergent levels (as represented by the amount of residue left after boiling(?)) Citgo is TopTier BTW

Last edited by bagwell; 07-07-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i don't use premium for one (no need), and that's funny that citgo is toptier... i also wouldn't touch citgo because it's owned by the venezuelan government.

https://www.citgo.com/AboutCITGO/CompanyHistory.jsp
Old 07-07-16, 02:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

to save clicks...

5. Most TOP TIER gasolines do not cost significantly more than non-TOP TIER gasoline. The average price difference between the TOP TIER and non-TOP TIER brands surveyed was three cents per gallon over a 12-month period.
For 87 octane regular gas, usually they are almost the same price. For 93 octane premium, I've found the Shell near my house is anywhere from .20 to .70 cents more a gallon than the Thortons next door. I still can't figure out why Shell is so damn proud of their premium fuel, or why one month its .20 premium, then 3 days later its .70 cents more a gallon vs the no-name premium.
Old 07-07-16, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Chevron's Techroline additive has long had an excellent reputation as one of the best detergent packages available. it's actually recommended by some auto manufacturers. Unfortunately, Chevron is no longer available in my area.......for some reason , it pulled out of the D.C. region and its local stations were replaced by Liberty, a cheap cut-rate brand. Shell also has a good detergent package (not quite as good as Techroline)....and it is available locally here. One local grocery chain (Giant Food, which I shop at), offers gas discounts at Shell stations for store purchase on the Bonus Cards.
Old 07-08-16, 04:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the additive added at the gas station by the gas station owner? If so what is the guarantee that the gas station owner is trying to maximize profits and skimping on the additive pkg?
Old 07-08-16, 04:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Is the additive added at the gas station by the gas station owner? If so what is the guarantee that the gas station owner is trying to maximize profits and skimping on the additive pkg?
Its put in at the refinery. I'm sure the process is much too complex for them to mix it up like miracle grow at the gas station.

Although you raise a good point about gas station owners trying to maximize profits. I hate buying gas from old/janky looking stations. Old rusty underground tanks that leak water into the gas, sediment at the bottom of the tank, no/old/dirty filters on the pumps themselves. Bigger, newer, corporate owned stations are the ones I try to go to. Usually they're busier(gas is fresher and hasn't been sitting in the tank for months) and all the tanks/equipment are newer and in good repair.

Quick Reply: AAA Fuel quality research: Proprietary research into effectiveness of fuel additives