Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the U.S. auto industry and road system convert to the metric system?

Old 07-02-16, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Should the U.S. auto industry and road system convert to the metric system?

There have been a number of calls in the past (and even some present bills) to convert the U.S. system of auto-specs and roadways from inches/feet/gallons/miles/MPH, etc..... to the metric system currently in use in most of the rest of the world? We, of course, have already done that, to some extent, with the use of engine-displacement in liters (as opposed to the former cubic inches), and the use of some metric-sized nuts/bolts/hardware on the vehicles. But most of our basic measurements on both vehicles and roads are still in the traditional English system. Auto manufacturers argue (with perhaps some merit) that this complicates parts-systems/design, requires extra time and effort in engineering, and ultimately increases cost of production. Of course, this would also beg the question if Britain, Japan, and Australia should convert to left-hand drive vehicles and roadways to also conform to most of the rest of the world......though Britain's recent vote to leave the EU makes that even less likely.

The pros and cons of each, of course, are quite complex, and I can't explain all the issues here (nor would I try to). But I thought it would be an interesting thread to at least discuss and get some of your opinions on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 07:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its going to be a huge expense, and other industries will need to convert as well (construction, manufacturing, etc). Quite frankly, its not that difficult to familiarize yourself with both systems - much simpler than trying to convert.

On the other hand, I do wish Farengheit system would be abandoned and we would switch to Celsius.
Old 07-02-16, 09:28 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It should have been done back in the '70s when the government said they were going to.

The longer we wait, the more it will cost.
Old 07-02-16, 09:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We should not . Keeps us different.
Old 07-02-16, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

we should, but oddly the brits, while having gone metric for everything else (including liters for gas) did NOT go metric for the roads.

it's weird to drive from the republic or ireland into northern ireland and go from km to mi just like that.
Old 07-02-16, 11:40 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's weird to drive from the republic or ireland into northern ireland and go from km to mi just like that.
The same can be said driving into the the States from Canada or vice versa

It isn't that hard, just to do the calculations. It is all about education.
Old 07-03-16, 01:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Marshall, just about any newer domestic car built in the past 20 years or so is going to have metric size bolts on it. Granted there are some holdovers, like your 90's Chevy trucks and vans that still had the 350 SBC V8 that had some standard size bolts on it.

As for converting to the metric system, it will never happen. People hate change and quite frankly this country doesn't need to convert to the metric system. We are the largest economy in the world, its not like we're some little squat of land with 5 million people using an oddball system.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-03-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

No, I like my miles just fine.
Old 07-03-16, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Marshall, just about any newer domestic car built in the past 20 years or so is going to have metric size bolts on it.
Yes, I mentioned that in my opening post. In fact, I think that actually goes back more than 20 years on some American-nameplate vehicles.

As for converting to the metric system, it will never happen. People hate change and quite frankly this country doesn't need to convert to the metric system. We are the largest economy in the world, its not like we're some little squat of land with 5 million people using an oddball system.
The current speedometers on a number of U.S.-spec vehicles, in addition to the MPH main outer-ring, have a smaller, inner ring of KPH figures, presumably for the times the vehicle may cross the border and drive in Canada or Mexico.
Old 07-03-16, 04:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As an engineer, I do like the metric system, but as a tax payer, no way do I want to cover the astronomical cost of the change for no real benefit.
Old 07-03-16, 06:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
as a tax payer, no way do I want to cover the astronomical cost of the change for no real benefit.
Couldn't agree more. I'd rather spend my tax dollars to fix our ancient roads, bridges and highway systems.
Old 07-03-16, 07:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The current speedometers on a number of U.S.-spec vehicles, in addition to the MPH main outer-ring, have a smaller, inner ring of KPH figures, presumably for the times the vehicle may cross the border and drive in Canada or Mexico.
And, in a few years time, when all cars have adopted the virtual, reconfigurable instrument displays that right now are proliferating in the German makes, switching between English and Metric systems of measurement will be but a button push away.
Old 07-03-16, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
The same can be said driving into the the States from Canada or vice versa
not really - there's no checkpoint / border when going from Ireland to N. Ireland or vice versa so signs change literally as you're driving along. 60kph becomes 35mph and it's not 'obvious' so one might be tempted to slow down.
Old 07-04-16, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Couldn't agree more. I'd rather spend my tax dollars to fix our ancient roads, bridges and highway systems.

With our crumbling infrastructure, it's hard to argue against that.....except that I don't think that tax dollars are the only solution. It's large, heavy trucks and buses that do much of the pavement damage (along with winter salt and freeze/thaw cycles, of course)....so, IMO, the companies that operate those large heavy vehicles and profit from them should shoulder a significant part of the cost, not just the taxpayers.
Old 07-04-16, 05:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not really - there's no checkpoint / border when going from Ireland to N. Ireland or vice versa so signs change literally as you're driving along. 60kph becomes 35mph and it's not 'obvious' so one might be tempted to slow down.
Bits, I guessed you missed this signs
<br >

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should the U.S. auto industry and road system convert to the metric system?