Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Tesla Fatality Using the Autopilot.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 10:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Even Toyota's Safety Sense system wouldn't be able to sense a trailer ahead of the car, you'd need Lidar or longer ranged radar for that. As they say in aviation, sometimes the holes in the cheese line up and an accident happens.

The human brain is being pushed to its limits when you're driving at highway speeds. Recognizing objects, assigning potential vectors and taking evasive action all take time, and being distracted adds seconds to that. I don't know if the driver could have braked in time if he wasn't watching a movie but an adequately equipped and programmed computer system could have reacted much faster.
Lidar would never work because of the spinning thing that needs to be at a height above the vehicle. The best alternative is really the car to car communication. Though I have always wondered how Infiniti's auto brake system can see two cars ahead...
Old 07-02-16, 11:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I hope that the NHTSA kills the Telsa Autopilot and does not allow for the release of safety-critical automotive systems until they are truly ready for day-to-day use; Autopilot is not ready for day-to-day use.
How are you ever going to know if the system is "ready"? Auto makers can test their tech all they want but until it is released into the wild there is no way to be certain the software is robust enough. When other automakers have autopilot systems in production you can bet they will experience issues as well, for all we know they will be much worse than what Tesla has.
Old 07-03-16, 01:47 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Any sensor mounted on the lower grille probably won't be able to see a tall obstacle like a trailer. You'd need a puck on the roof or infrared stereo cameras just ahead of the rearview mirror. Inter-car comms would be the best method but that could take decades to implement.
Old 07-03-16, 06:47 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

InterCar comm - a virtual network where every vehicle in a certain radius is providing location and activity status update - is the end solution. Everything else is just popcorn along the way.
Old 07-03-16, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

just realized this was just up the road from me.
Old 07-03-16, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think tesla made a giant mistake calling the feature 'autopilot' and will probably lose a giant lawsuit despite their disclaimers.
Old 07-03-16, 10:15 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think tesla made a giant mistake calling the feature 'autopilot' and will probably lose a giant lawsuit despite their disclaimers.
While the name autopilot does imply certain things, MB just released their "drive pilot"...so this may be a non issue if big automakers are using similar naming conventions
Old 07-03-16, 03:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How are you ever going to know if the system is "ready"? Auto makers can test their tech all they want but until it is released into the wild there is no way to be certain the software is robust enough. When other automakers have autopilot systems in production you can bet they will experience issues as well, for all we know they will be much worse than what Tesla has.
This type of certification has been done for years in the aerospace and medical device industries.

It starts by taking a professional, safety-first and safety-conscious approach. Hire the proper team, starting with experienced, senior engineers and managers who have safety-critical automation background. I am not convinced that Tesla has taken this approach.

Then determining if the system is ready starts at the very beginning. Carefully plan and determine what you want your automated system to do -- limit the functionality, if you have to, for your first product -- and then take an extremely disciplined approach to design a system that implements your required functionality. This is the approach followed for decades in aerospace.

Once you have a product developed, have it tested by professional test engineers and test drivers (as the aerospace industry tests with professional test engineers and test pilots). Be ready to refine the product during the testing round. Only when the professional test engineers and drivers give their approval do you release it to the general public. Never, ever release a safety-critical system for Beta testing by unqualified testers (i.e. everyday drivers).

I work in the safety-critical system engineering industry. Neither I nor my colleagues are convinced that Tesla has followed this disciplined approach.
Old 07-03-16, 03:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree. "Autopilot" implies (marketing) a complete, hands-off (hands off the steering wheel, and accelerator and brake pedals) approach to automation.

Even if the Tesla automated driving system does not have full hands-off capability, it is so implied by giving it the name "Autopilot".
Old 07-03-16, 04:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

I work in the safety-critical system engineering industry. Neither I nor my colleagues are convinced that Tesla has followed this disciplined approach.
No matter what Tesla does you find fault.
Old 07-03-16, 04:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This type of certification has been done for years in the aerospace and medical device industries.

It starts by taking a professional, safety-first and safety-conscious approach. Hire the proper team, starting with experienced, senior engineers and managers who have safety-critical automation background. I am not convinced that Tesla has taken this approach.

Then determining if the system is ready starts at the very beginning. Carefully plan and determine what you want your automated system to do -- limit the functionality, if you have to, for your first product -- and then take an extremely disciplined approach to design a system that implements your required functionality. This is the approach followed for decades in aerospace.

Once you have a product developed, have it tested by professional test engineers and test drivers (as the aerospace industry tests with professional test engineers and test pilots). Be ready to refine the product during the testing round. Only when the professional test engineers and drivers give their approval do you release it to the general public. Never, ever release a safety-critical system for Beta testing by unqualified testers (i.e. everyday drivers).

Very well put and certainly the standards that any sort of automotive self-drive system will need to use. But in the aerospace and medical sectors, the end users are often highly educated and extremely skilled as the operators of the technology.

Here you have a very low bar to entry. You get some basic driver training and you're unleashed on the world. The size of your bank account determines the scope of what you can do.

But to take a page from aviation and what other replies here say - you can eventually create a sort of TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) tech to prevent this from happening again.

Ultimately there is no way to create a completely idiot-proof system. Some people are just determined to get themselves killed.

Last edited by MattyG; 07-03-16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 04:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk

I doubt a human driver could have done anything differently, plus the person could have reacted the same way as if they were driving the car.

Condolences to the families.
You doubt that the human eye can better detect a truck vs. the sky?
Old 07-03-16, 07:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
Very well put and certainly the standards that any sort of automotive self-drive system will need to use. But in the aerospace and medical sectors, the end users are often highly educated and extremely skilled as the operators of the technology.

Here you have a very low bar to entry. You get some basic driver training and you're unleashed on the world. The size of your bank account determines the scope of what you can do.
Which makes it all that more important to certify automotive safety-critical systems prior to unleashing among the unwashed masses.

Just as important as safe operation is safe failure: If any sensors fail or there are conflicting signals that would make the system not able to operate, there must be backups or it must fail in such a way that the driver and passengers, or bystanders outside the vehicle are not too badly harmed. This concept, too, comes from aerospace and medical devices.

But to take a page from aviation and what other replies here say - you can eventually create a sort of TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) tech to prevent this from happening again.
That probably will not come until there is vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure networking and communications.

Ultimately there is no way to create a completely idiot-proof system. Some people are just determined to get themselves killed.
Agreed. But you cannot build a system that is absolutely perfect. The best you can hope to do is to design for the 99% who are not idiots.
Old 07-03-16, 07:39 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

We have TCAS and ADS on planes and they still crash into the ground, into each other or disappear completely. For ground vehicles, there's a big difference between what a vehicle plans to do and what it ends up doing, even if it's controlled by a computer.

I think we need autonomous driving systems that can take evasive action quickly if it detects something abnormal. If it doesn't know what to do, it should immediately give control back to the driver - who hopefully isn't asleep or watching a movie. You can make driverless cars when all cars on the road are controlled by a centralized computer. Until then, you still need a driver if you use independent autonomous systems.
Old 07-04-16, 05:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. "Autopilot" implies (marketing) a complete, hands-off (hands off the steering wheel, and accelerator and brake pedals) approach to automation.

Even if the Tesla automated driving system does not have full hands-off capability, it is so implied by giving it the name "Autopilot".
Tesla is known to buck legacy trend, and create their own.

Quick Reply: First Tesla Fatality Using the Autopilot.