Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry is the Most "American-Made" Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps I should have re-worded my earlier post to refer to the appearance of a larger car (which I still stand by)....OK, I'll agree to that.
So would you call the current Camry a full size car?
Old 07-03-16, 02:02 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Did you live in Michigan by any chance? That sick mentality permeates there, although it's far less prominent than it used to be. But then again, some old dude just told me last week that the problem in this country is that "people are unpatriotic and buy foreign cars." Didn't even want to talk to the clown, got into my foreign car right in front of him and drove away.
No, I live in San Francisco and the reactions happened here, in San Bruno, and South San Francisco but way back when it was newer and people did not see a lot of this Tacoma on the roads. And I am white. One of those jerks was a woman!
At the same time, though, that truck got a ton of compliments and gazes of obvious admiration which more than made up for the negative ones.
I'll tell you what is unpatriotic, is what drove me to buy Toyota, and that was how the American auto companies were turning out very unreliable crap vehicles that costed me personally a ton in repairs. I am a total "car guy" and it breaks my heart that I don't trust them enough still. I bought a Lexus because I am one who keeps a vehicle for 10 years and longer, and I fully know about Lexus' reliability over years of reading about them.
I am not a rich guy so I cannot be frivolous with my money. Yeah my 4RX bit a chunk out of my cash but it will be worth it in the long haul I am confident. I feel if I bought American it would cost that initial chunk and then proceed to sap me of more in stupid senseless repairs.
EDIT: by the way, it was also my gal's owning since new, a 1987 Celica GTS (which she still has and still runs like new) and her constant urging me to buy Toyota. The whole time I was suffering through thousands in vehicle breakdowns, she was enjoying trouble-free miles with hers.
At the time I bought my Tacoma in 2001, a co worker bought a new 2001 Dodge Dakota crew cab v6, and literally had the entire drive train-engine, tranny, rear end go out within the first two years. He hated my truck. No wonder why.

Last edited by Radio88; 07-03-16 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 02:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
I feel if I bought American it would cost that initial chunk and then proceed to sap me of more in stupid senseless repairs.
Well, yes and no. For example, if you were to purchase a Buick Enclave, you could get a a whopping $10,537 discount, that $10.5k could go a long way to fixing the Enclave down the road. Or who knows? maybe it won't break.
Old 07-03-16, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So would you call the current Camry a full size car?
By today's standards, almost....not quite. But, though it probably has little relevance to today, IMO they stopped making TRUE full-size cars back in the late 1970s.
Old 07-03-16, 05:02 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

No, I live in San Francisco and the reactions happened here, in San Bruno, and South San Francisco but way back when it was newer and people did not see a lot of this Tacoma on the roads. And I am white. One of those jerks was a woman!
At the same time, though, that truck got a ton of compliments and gazes of obvious admiration which more than made up for the negative ones.
I'll tell you what is unpatriotic, is what drove me to buy Toyota, and that was how the American auto companies were turning out very unreliable crap vehicles that costed me personally a ton in repairs. I am a total "car guy" and it breaks my heart that I don't trust them enough still. I bought a Lexus because I am one who keeps a vehicle for 10 years and longer, and I fully know about Lexus' reliability over years of reading about them.
I am not a rich guy so I cannot be frivolous with my money. Yeah my 4RX bit a chunk out of my cash but it will be worth it in the long haul I am confident. I feel if I bought American it would cost that initial chunk and then proceed to sap me of more in stupid senseless repairs.
EDIT: by the way, it was also my gal's owning since new, a 1987 Celica GTS (which she still has and still runs like new) and her constant urging me to buy Toyota. The whole time I was suffering through thousands in vehicle breakdowns, she was enjoying trouble-free miles with hers.
At the time I bought my Tacoma in 2001, a co worker bought a new 2001 Dodge Dakota crew cab v6, and literally had the entire drive train-engine, tranny, rear end go out within the first two years. He hated my truck. No wonder why.
As somebody who grew up w/ the Big 3 I share your sentiments entirely. I'm surprised you got that in the San Francisco area, although I'm positive it was just a one-off case and not a mentality that many people in the area share. I believe I read somewhere that over 80% of new cars sold in major west coast metros are "imports." When I lived out there the only "American" cars I saw were trucks, SUVs, and Mustangs. Anything else were rental cars.
Old 07-03-16, 06:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As for the Malibu, not a chance. Most people will take boring, reliable Toyota vs a unreliable, well-optioned Chevy
Malibu was top in its class in the JD Power Dependability survey, ahead of the Sonata and Camry, so not sure what you are referring to...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ity-study.html

Last edited by dseag2; 07-03-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 06:56 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Well, yes and no. For example, if you were to purchase a Buick Enclave, you could get a a whopping $10,537 discount, that $10.5k could go a long way to fixing the Enclave down the road. Or who knows? maybe it won't break.
Except after my bad experiences I still have a trust issue like I stated before. I am sure I am not alone.

Originally Posted by BrownPride
As somebody who grew up w/ the Big 3 I share your sentiments entirely. I'm surprised you got that in the San Francisco area, although I'm positive it was just a one-off case and not a mentality that many people in the area share. I believe I read somewhere that over 80% of new cars sold in major west coast metros are "imports." When I lived out there the only "American" cars I saw were trucks, SUVs, and Mustangs. Anything else were rental cars.
Pretty much the same type American vehicles now here as what you saw then. The majority of cars are imported. The vast majority. Toyota, Honda, BMW, Nissan, Benz, Subaru, Cooper, Hyundai, etc etc.
Old 07-04-16, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, I live in San Francisco and the reactions happened here.
While I have admittedly not been to San Francisco to see for myself, from the city's notoriously left-wing politics and its general disdain for conventional-type cars, I'd guess the Toyota Prius and other small hybrids/electrics/alternate-fuels to be extremely popular there.
Old 07-04-16, 06:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As for the Malibu, not a chance. Most people will take boring, reliable Toyota vs a unreliable, well-optioned Chevy
What you are not taking into account, though, is that Chevys aren't that unreliable any more. In fact, they rank #6 overall in the latest J.D. Power quality survey, trailing only GMC and Buick among domestic brands.

Of course, there are some other similarities between the Malibu and Camry, too. The Malibu, like the Camry, is designed primarily for comfort and ride-quietness, so neither one is likely to appeal much to canyon-carver driving enthusiasts. Chevy used to do a sport-oriented Malibu SS, though it is missing from the current lineup.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-16 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 09:23 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I have admittedly not been to San Francisco to see for myself, from the city's notoriously left-wing politics and its general disdain for conventional-type cars, I'd guess the Toyota Prius and other small hybrids/electrics/alternate-fuels to be extremely popular there.
Yeah you are correct! I missed that one. Also, there are an almost astounding number of Teslas here too. The S and that crossover-looking one, but mostly the S.
EDIT: actually I didn't miss the Prius as I did say the vast majority of "cars" here are imports starting with Toyota.

Last edited by Radio88; 07-04-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 07:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah you are correct! I missed that one. Also, there are an almost astounding number of Teslas here too. The S and that crossover-looking one, but mostly the S.
EDIT: actually I didn't miss the Prius as I did say the vast majority of "cars" here are imports starting with Toyota.
And as I always say when I'm stuck behind one, "nothing good ever happens being behind a Prius". They really do take their Green assignment seriously, which means an excruciatingly slow start from the red light and about 10 minutes to get up to speed (if they ever do.) I avoid getting behind them at stop lights at all costs.
Old 07-04-16, 07:18 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

LOL @ C/D i doubt new camry will come with NX200t's engine... probably more like the D4-S engine that is in the Tacoma and will be in the Highlander late this year, with a 8 Speed auto... isn't the Tundra the most american truck also since Dodge, Ford or Chevy don't have enough parts made in america than Toyota does?...
Old 07-05-16, 06:58 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
And as I always say when I'm stuck behind one, "nothing good ever happens being behind a Prius". They really do take their Green assignment seriously, which means an excruciatingly slow start from the red light and about 10 minutes to get up to speed (if they ever do.) I avoid getting behind them at stop lights at all costs.
Funny thing is, around here a lot of them dart around like they have small-car-complex. My stepson has one-a PriusV so I can't really say anything bad

but I can say I personally would never own one. I like more substantial vehicles that aren't so cloney.