Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry is the Most "American-Made" Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 12:26 PM
DShiekhi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Camry is the Most "American-Made" Car

Toyota Camry is the Most "American-Made" Car

The Toyota Camry has done it again.

Read the rest on the ClubLexus.com homepage. >>
Old 06-29-16, 01:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not really shocked at all. Toyota has worked hard to make sure they build the Camry in the US and they have made sure that the parts are from the US on the most part.

Sadly, the new styling is not that great. The pre-facelift of the current generation looked much better. Toyota also really needs to give an update to the engines.
Old 06-29-16, 01:48 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not really shocked at all. Toyota has worked hard to make sure they build the Camry in the US and they have made sure that the parts are from the US on the most part.

Sadly, the new styling is not that great. The pre-facelift of the current generation looked much better. Toyota also really needs to give an update to the engines.
I agree - a step backward with the styling, and that includes the wheels.

I can understand "inoffensive" and mass market but the current restyle is just ugly and all that plastic cladding in the lower grille looks so cheap.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-29-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 01:49 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than a few times I got the idiots making "Asian eyes" at me in my 2001 Tacoma back during the early 2000s through the windshields of their Fords and Dodges. If I had the chance I would have informed their ignorant minds that my Tacoma was 100% American-built in the now-closed Nummi plant in Fremont, Ca.
Old 06-29-16, 02:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont have much of an issue with the current styling. Its typical midsize boring. Prefer it to the pre refresh and those horrid lobster claw tailights honestly.

Im more worried that the next generation will lose its awesome V6 for that lame Turbo-4.
Old 06-29-16, 02:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
More than a few times I got the idiots making "Asian eyes" at me in my 2001 Tacoma back during the early 2000s through the windshields of their Fords and Dodges. If I had the chance I would have informed their ignorant minds that my Tacoma was 100% American-built in the now-closed Nummi plant in Fremont, Ca.
Heck a lot of the rednecks around where I live drive Toyotas(both Tacomas and Tundras) with big mud tires, dents, hadn't been washed in 5 years, with camo accenting and those stupid deer stickers.

As for the Camry, doesn't surprise me one bit, since Toyota has specifically designed that model for the American market and has other sedans/wagons/hatches it sells in Europe, Japan, Southeast Asia, Australia, etc.

Its not like some other "world" cars like Ford does, where they sell the same Fusion(Mondeo), Focus, and Fiesta in Europe and North America.

Also its kind of hilarious that the Ram truck and the Silverado are built in Mexico(GM has several factories making trucks though, so yours may or may not be made in Mexico). No wonder why profits are so fat on those vehicles with cheap Mexican labor.
Old 06-29-16, 07:41 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I dont have much of an issue with the current styling. Its typical midsize boring. Prefer it to the pre refresh and those horrid lobster claw tailights honestly.

Im more worried that the next generation will lose its awesome V6 for that lame Turbo-4.
Absolutely, the V6 in the Camry outclasses most of the Turbo options out there.
Old 06-29-16, 08:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Absolutely, the V6 in the Camry outclasses most of the Turbo options out there.
Agreed. The 2GR-FE is a great motor and man it hauls some serious a@@ in the lightweight Camry body. What's crazy is that 8, 9 model years after it was introduced, I still don't think the competition has caught up with it, except maybe the Accord which also uses a V6 instead of the turbo 4. Only thing I can ding it for is the sound, its very quiet and sounds better than a turbo 4 IMO. But compared to the snarl on something like a BMW inline six, a Toyota 2JZ, or the V6 in the new Camaro, its rather dull.
Old 06-30-16, 12:59 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I was just thinking about the current Camry earlier today before reading this post. My thought was, "gee, this car has really faded into the background with little attention, little fanfare, and few accolades." Then I read this post. Not really a huge thing to celebrate, but something. The Camry needs anything it can get. The refreshed Accord is selling like mad here in L.A., with it's sporty and modern touches, and the rest of the competition is always clobbering up the ladder.
So back to today's Camry. A redo cannot come quick enough. The refresh did nothing to spark excitement or anyone's interest beyond very basic transportation. Very basic transportation can no longer be a sole selling purpose. The SE losing it's body trim was the biggest mistake. People who wanted to look fake sporty could easily do it with a cheap and trusty Camry. But nothing with the current SE gives any sporty flare beyond what the LE offers. Also, the c-pillar is still strange, the gaping front grille only passes as ugly, the tail is homely and backdated at best, and the dashboard is two generations behind the best out there.
So bring us a quick change and give people a some modern flare. I know Toyota has the ability, just look at the glowing new C-RH.
Old 06-30-16, 05:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^. You make it sound like the current version is in dire straits. It's still the best selling car so I don't see any motivation for Toyota to rush a redesign.
Old 06-30-16, 06:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
....and now built at the San Antonio, TX plant - correct?
Old 06-30-16, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

2018 Camry spied....

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

The Camry will ride on Toyota’s new TNGA modular platform that made its production debut with the 2016 Prius and which will provide the basis for about half of Toyota’s vehicles by decade’s end. The TNGA bits have done wonders to tidy up the Prius’s dynamics, so we’re cautiously optimistic for the Camry when it makes the switch as well. Weight-reduction measures also are part of the plan, and we’ve heard that aluminum is being used for the hood and sundry other places in the structure.
Old 06-30-16, 10:10 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

According to NHTSA, the Honda Accord beats out the Camry at 80% vs 75%.
Old 06-30-16, 03:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
According to NHTSA, the Honda Accord beats out the Camry at 80% vs 75%.
It depends upon how you look at the data, and cars.com also published this different list in which the Accord is #1, at the bottom of the article.

The Camry isn't the top car if you take an alternative approach to the AMI. For several years, we've also published what the results would be if the AMI used production numbers instead of sales figures as a barometer of assembly-line employment.

That puts the Honda Accord, not the Toyota Camry, up top.

2016 Production-Based Index (2016 AMI Rank)

1. Honda Accord (2)
2. Toyota Camry (1)
3. Toyota Sienna (3)
4. Honda Odyssey (4)
5. Honda Pilot (5)
6. Chevrolet Traverse (6)
7. GMC Acadia (7)
8. Buick Enclave (8)

Sources: Automakers, Automotive News, NHTSA
Source: cars.com
Old 06-30-16, 04:52 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Heck a lot of the rednecks around where I live drive Toyotas(both Tacomas and Tundras) with big mud tires, dents, hadn't been washed in 5 years, with camo accenting and those stupid deer stickers.

That was too funny
I only got those reactions a couple times way back when the truck was new. Tacomas were far fewer back then.
Originally Posted by bagwell
....and now built at the San Antonio, TX plant - correct?
Yeah and I think also Tee-Juanna.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry is the Most "American-Made" Car