Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?

Stunning. Fits between Auris Wagon and Rav4 price wise, so less than Prius in Europe.
Toyota UK has full PR but very bad pictures.

A new departure for Toyota, the interior styling represents a new ‘Sensual Tech’ design concept combining high-tech functionality with a sensual and fashionable style. It is interpreted in a driver-focused area that forms part of an airy, expansive cabin.
Working closely with the headquarters design team to maintain the original interior styling concept, the team focused on component quality and the consistency of grain, texture, shape, colour and illumination in every element, even the stitch groove radii of the seats.

Many switches use a similar shape, reflecting the diamond motif of the exterior body shell and reinforcing the link between the interior and exterior design. The same diamond theme is also evident in the door trim pattern, the headliner, the JBL audio speaker grilles and tweeter shape and even the needles of the driver’s analogue instrument dials.
The new C-HR can be specified with a tailor-made JBL premium audio system comprising an eight-channel, 576-Watt stereo amplifier and nine speakers, including two newly patented acoustic JBL wave guides, known as horn tweeters.
As part of Toyota’s commitment to democratise advanced safety equipment, Toyota Safety Sense is standard across the range. It includes a Pre-Collision System (including Pedestrian Detection), Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert with steering control, Automatic High Beam and Road Sign Assist (not available on the entry grade).

Higher grade customers will be able to specify heated seats, a smart entry system, privacy glass, bespoke upholstery including partial leather seats, Toyota’s S-IPA intelligent park-assist system, 18-inch alloy wheels and bi-tone metallic paintwork. Details of the UK model range and equipment specifications will be announced later.
2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-nnv6ejz.jpg

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-zherhls.jpg

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-emmvlpk.jpg

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-xummyz5.png
2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-nykzeni.png

Last edited by spwolf; 06-27-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 06:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

last pics are from EU site, they run it through some grease filter so it looks like crap, but I added it to show full leather design of the seats plus lighting around the cabin. Japanese pics above have nav screen blacked out because it has European graphics.

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-czfepdq.jpg

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-lnjxvsw.jpg

2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?-j0avfal.jpg

Last edited by spwolf; 06-27-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 07:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hmmm, certainly a good looking interior, even if the screen is a bit too big. Seems like it would block visibility. They should make it more horizontal instead of vertical.
Old 06-27-16, 07:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Very 'electrifying'. I particularly like the burgundy accents.
Old 06-27-16, 07:48 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow. Toyota finally borrowed some Lexus people for the interior

I'm surprised at how good this interior looks. I think it borrows a lot of elements from the i8, with the large screen being close to the driver and the slim center stack controls. Bravo.
Old 06-28-16, 01:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

That's an interior far better than most Lexus interiors. Very clean, modern, symmetrical, substantial, cosseting, and comfortable. It's a similar direction Honda and Audi are currently taking with their very latest offerings (Pilot, Ridgeline, A4). Hopefully this is a new direction for the brand.
What doesn't work though is the tall nav screen. From all angles, it appears to block forward vision. So, likely be toned down with production. Also cannot see that huge blue light stretching across the dash not being distracting. Hopefully that too will be addressed for production cars. Finally, the tach and speed pointers look gimmicky. Hyundai used a similar design about ten years ago only to drop it after people complained.
Great to see a new change coming. This has the potential to set a new standard, something Toyota/Lexus hasn't been able to claim in quite a while.
Old 06-28-16, 02:07 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside and out, it looks amazing. I might have to take it for a test drive when I am back in North America in late 2017.
Old 06-28-16, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
hmmm, certainly a good looking interior, even if the screen is a bit too big. Seems like it would block visibility. They should make it more horizontal instead of vertical.
apparently screen is in "normal" position but they lowered top of the dash so you can see front of the car better - there is both more functionality and more style than before.
Old 06-28-16, 04:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
Wow. Toyota finally borrowed some Lexus people for the interior

I'm surprised at how good this interior looks. I think it borrows a lot of elements from the i8, with the large screen being close to the driver and the slim center stack controls. Bravo.
materials look really good too... top one is version with half leather seats and it looks great.

For instance, check how shifter and seat heater switches look compared to Rav4, which is going to be more expensive vehicle.

Looks like a new Peugeot interior, even better... and thats a big compliment since they have best interior in class.

Apperantly this is showing off their next generation interiors.

And of course, this is all production, selling models with European specification.
Old 06-28-16, 05:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

materials look great but the way that screen sticks bolt upright looks terrible.
Old 06-28-16, 06:13 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it starts at C$24k, it may be something I would consider getting.
Old 06-28-16, 06:49 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
If it starts at C$24k, it may be something I would consider getting.

Same. Would make for a great city beater for these NE winters. Cheap, small, AWD, Hybrid.
Old 06-28-16, 07:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am going to reserve judgement until I see the North American model. I have found that it is a real crash getting my hopes up too high after looking at pictures of European interiors and then seeing the cheap North American version.

Will this be assembled in North America (Mexico?) or imported here from Europe or Japan?
Old 06-28-16, 07:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
materials look great but the way that screen sticks bolt upright looks terrible.
Agreed. I really hate the tacked on nav look
Old 06-28-16, 07:55 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually find the interior overall kind of ugly. There are decent details (like the seats and door panels) but it seems like outside of studio lighting it won't be nearly as nice as a complete package. The shiny black plastic looks cheap and I can't imagine that it feels nice. Since there's a ton of it around the center console area it likely won't age well either. Use will likely scratch up the shiny coating.

That screen...is terrible. It looks like when they edited the first batch of photos they made the screen itself appear larger but then the other photos show that it's actually smaller with a HUGE bezel. If the bezel was smaller it wouldn't look like it was sticking up so far. Then there's the odd cheap looking digital clock next to the screen that looks dated. There's also something a bit off about their execution of making it "driver focused". Things look a little too asymmetrical/askew. I much prefer their efforts back in the 90s with the Supra which has a cabin that is clearly driver focused without looking like the interior sat in the sun too long.

Granted, there are some cars that need to be sat in for me to appreciate because quality doesn't always come through in photos, but that's usually in classes above this one. This could be one of those situations, though generally cheap cars just end up being cheap.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Also cannot see that huge blue light stretching across the dash not being distracting.
It doesn't look like a light. It just looks like bright blue metallic looking trim.

Edit:

Here's a video with more detail. Panning shots of the black plastic start at 2:04 and don't give me a huge amount of confidence about in person quality.

Last edited by bd5400; 06-28-16 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Add Video

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota C-HR Interior revealed - first ever best in class?