Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lease is Up in July, Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 05:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I loved the look and interior of the Volvo XC90, but equipped the way I want, it is much too expensive...

The RX350 is the easy choice. I like the dealer and my last 6 cars have been Lexus. Downside is that it is really ugly and doesn't drive very well. Maybe more time will change my mind about the ride and noise issues.

The MKX fits everything I want in the way it drives. It is quiet, smooth, and handles well. With the 2.7 turbo engine the performance is good. Despite what Motor Trend says, I find the 22 way seat great for comfort. Downsides are the local dealer and questionable reliability.
I saw Motorweek's road test of the XC90 and they really seemed to like it. It looks good and drives good from what they say but yeah... $$$.

Despite my suspicions about the Big 3's quality and reliability the MKX sure looks good. Clean styling and it certainly sounds like it impressed you - and you're a Lexus guy. If you're keeping a Lincoln past warranty that would be a question mark. The RX wins hands down if that's the case.

The RX does look better in darker colors like a deep navy or a metallic deep gray.
Old 06-26-16, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

What about a big Buick Enclave? I hear they are giving 15-20% off MSRP
Old 06-26-16, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

enclave is really old now. last i checked you couldn't even get radar cruise for it.
Old 06-26-16, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

oldcajun, seems like perhaps you're just having sticker shock on everything... prices do go up.

maybe you could consider a CPO to save some?
Old 06-26-16, 07:56 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

CPO Lexus.

Buy used, get more car. I bought a 90,000 dollar vehicle for 57,000 with low miles.

The RX is actually the best vehicle on your list, if you prioritize quality and ease of working on your car.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-26-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 08:04 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Also, you said the RX did not drive well and has ride or noise issues. The 2012 RX I drove had an excellent ride and interior quality so I find that interesting. The GX 460, though, rides stiffer by comparison.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-26-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 01:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What about a big Buick Enclave? I hear they are giving 15-20% off MSRP
Are they going to have the new model out in a few months??? Maybe the new model, but the previous model has been on sale for 9 model years now and is really long in the tooth IMO.

I don't know what the OP's exact budget is, but you can get a new 2016 Infiniti QX80, the big, body on frame, V8, 8 passenger, Nissan Patrol based SUV in the low 60k range. The interior is REALLY DAMN NICE and the value for money is probably the best thing going for any luxury SUV. Granted that is a HUGE truck, but if you look at the practical aspect, ie interior space, towing capacity, off road capability, and interior appointments, it is full size SUV for midsize SUV money.
Old 06-27-16, 09:09 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Are they going to have the new model out in a few months??? Maybe the new model, but the previous model has been on sale for 9 model years now and is really long in the tooth IMO.

I don't know what the OP's exact budget is, but you can get a new 2016 Infiniti QX80, the big, body on frame, V8, 8 passenger, Nissan Patrol based SUV in the low 60k range. The interior is REALLY DAMN NICE and the value for money is probably the best thing going for any luxury SUV. Granted that is a HUGE truck, but if you look at the practical aspect, ie interior space, towing capacity, off road capability, and interior appointments, it is full size SUV for midsize SUV money.
It is a better price, however Nissan's and Infiniti's quality does not compare to Toyota and Lexus. (Plus I think the Lexus has the edge on styling - the Infiniti looks like they tried to graft the G37 styling on a full size truck and it doesn't work for me).

To give you an example, there is one recall on the LX 570 for 2008-2009 models, over the same 8 year period there are 10 on the QX56/80.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-27-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 09:35 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
CPO Lexus.

Buy used, get more car. I bought a 90,000 dollar vehicle for 57,000 with low miles.

The RX is actually the best vehicle on your list, if you prioritize quality and ease of working on your car.
I also want to add. Resale value of the RX will be very good compares the competitor.
Old 06-27-16, 10:18 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by cino
I also want to add. Resale value of the RX will be very good compares the competitor.
Best in the industry - annoying when you buy, good when you sell
Old 06-27-16, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

The lease on my 2014 ES350 is up the end of July. I traded my 2009 LS460 expecting that the new car would be available by now. Since that is now another 2 years away, I have another decision to make. My knees and back want higher seats, so I'm looking at SUV's and want to stay below $60K loaded. I've checked a lot and have narrowed down the list a bit.

I loved the look and interior of the Volvo XC90, but equipped the way I want, it is much too expensive.

The Audi Q7 is too expensive and the Q5 is too small. There is also the issue of trusting them after dieselgate.

The X5 is too expensive when equipped.

My list is now focused on 4. The RX350, Lincoln MKX, and Mercedes GLC300 and the oddball KIA Sorrento SXL.

The RX350 is the easy choice. I like the dealer and my last 6 cars have been Lexus. Downside is that it is really ugly and doesn't drive very well. Maybe more time will change my mind about the ride and noise issues.

The MKX fits everything I want in the way it drives. It is quiet, smooth, and handles well. With the 2.7 turbo engine the performance is good. Despite what Motor Trend says, I find the 22 way seat great for comfort. Downsides are the local dealer and questionable reliability.

The GLC300 is pretty good, but it is smaller inside than the other two. The little turbo four has good power but it is a little rough particularly at idle.

The high end KIA gets close to the others at a great price. It may not be a true luxury vehicle, but the quilted Napa leather is really nice. List price undercuts the others by at least $10000 plus there are some incentives.

I plan to do serious test drives and financial comparisons in the next couple of weeks.

Steve

PS: I haven't seen the new MDX, so it might also deserve a look.
I'd choose a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit over any of the vehicles listed here. My business partner just got one, and it reminded me what a nice vehicle it really is. It'll remind you a lot of your LS.
Old 06-27-16, 02:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
It is a better price, however Nissan's and Infiniti's quality does not compare to Toyota and Lexus. (Plus I think the Lexus has the edge on styling - the Infiniti looks like they tried to graft the G37 styling on a full size truck and it doesn't work for me).

To give you an example, there is one recall on the LX 570 for 2008-2009 models, over the same 8 year period there are 10 on the QX56/80.
I do agree with you, but then again the Infiniti is $30,000 cheaper and has a nicer interior layout and way more space behind the second row seats. This current model is based on the Patrol, which is made in Japan and is constructed in a similar manner to the Land Cruiser, ie overbuilt for the worst terrain. Its so much better than its Armada based, built in Mississippi predecessor, you'd wouldn't think the same company made both trucks.

As for the look, its grown on me. Its not a pretty car, but I do find it unique.

If the OP wants something smaller, I'd recommend the Grand Cherokee, the Highlander, the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Cadillac XT5, and Lincoln MK whatever.
Old 06-27-16, 09:00 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not the GLE instead of the GLC?
Old 07-02-16, 10:40 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had my first extended test drive of a Cadillac XT5 today. I was more impressed than I expected. This particular car was the Premium Luxury level and had all the "stuff" I want. Ride was very good and noise level was excellent. I was a bit disappointed in the acceleration but it was adequate. Although there are no GM incentives, the dealer has pretty aggressive pricing for a new product. This dealership is part of the group that owns the Lexus dealer I like so much and many of their procedures are the same including loaner cars if you make a service appointment.

I also tried to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, but there was not one available. The sales guy knew nothing about his product and insisted that the Limited was the top of the line. The overall experience was bad and typical of many domestic dealerships that hire the cheapest salesman they can get. The car might have been great, but I couldn't live with this kind of dealership so I won't be back.
Steve
Old 07-03-16, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I also tried to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, but there was not one available. The sales guy knew nothing about his product and insisted that the Limited was the top of the line. The overall experience was bad and typical of many domestic dealerships that hire the cheapest salesman they can get. The car might have been great, but I couldn't live with this kind of dealership so I won't be back.
Steve
This is a big tradeoff when doing the Jeep instead of a luxury brand, the dealers are typical "mainstream", perks are few, knowledge is terrible. Turnover is huge.

For me the dealership doesn't have much value, but if it has value to you its a consideration.

Quick Reply: Lease is Up in July, Now What?