Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of lease options - am I stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 05:24 AM
Dignityy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it interesting that everyone is like no way don't do that because it's a bad investment, I do agree you could get it a little cheaper, but let's think about the butt kicking you take when you buy a car new and drive it off the lot! There is some value to knowing the cars history since new, if they sell it to you CPO certified then maybe that's an option. I also have a hard time believing there is no negotiation room, as soon as that car hits the dealer lot you could talk the price down. I would suggest going to a few different dealers.
Old 06-25-16, 06:30 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Wait a minute, I think we have all overlooked an important point. Who says $40,200 is an unreasonable purchase price? A quick web search shows that most are going for around $40k. Alright, some are a little less but some are more. Based on the mileage, I've found a few for ~$38k but I don't know if the options are equivalent.

You always have the option of returning your car and purchase a DIFFERENT 2014 GS F-Sport.
Old 06-25-16, 08:22 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is literally the exact same dilemma I'm in. Fully loaded '13, overblown residual, low payments, and the latest lease deals are crap by comparison. That's why I'm shopping around a few other brands. Lexus Financial may be stepping up their game here within the next few months, so I may end up extending it past August for a few months to see what kind of deals show up. I'm under my mileage limit and the car is in excellent condition so I'm not afraid of keeping it a few extra months.
Old 06-25-16, 08:47 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, your residual is overblown. My Lexus dealer recently sold a CPO 2014 GS 350 F Sport AWD, Mark Levinson, HUD, orig. MSRP of $62,202. They were advertising the car for $39,900. I imagine it sold for less than that.
Old 06-25-16, 09:39 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Why don't you call Lexus financial and extend the lease (usually you have to wait a month before it comes due). You can usually do a month to month lease for up to six months and during that time maybe the new GS leases will be better because they surely suck right now.
Old 06-26-16, 07:33 AM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
This is literally the exact same dilemma I'm in. Fully loaded '13, overblown residual, low payments, and the latest lease deals are crap by comparison. That's why I'm shopping around a few other brands. Lexus Financial may be stepping up their game here within the next few months, so I may end up extending it past August for a few months to see what kind of deals show up. I'm under my mileage limit and the car is in excellent condition so I'm not afraid of keeping it a few extra months.
Take a look at 535i if you want a comparable car with artificially high residual (and low monthly payments).
Old 06-27-16, 12:25 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
Take a look at 535i if you want a comparable car with artificially high residual (and low monthly payments).
I wouldn't recommend getting a MY16 5 series. New body style for MY17 which may be out by the time the OP has to turn his car in.

I would go German if I were you, just not with the F10 BMW.
Old 06-27-16, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

but my17 won't have any deals on them for a while
Old 06-27-16, 09:31 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
but my17 won't have any deals on them for a while
Exactly. And last model year BMWs are about as reliable as you can get in the BMW universe. These are the BMWs one should get if you do not care about latest and greatest toys.
Old 06-28-16, 08:29 AM
drjosh123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
Why don't you call Lexus financial and extend the lease (usually you have to wait a month before it comes due). You can usually do a month to month lease for up to six months and during that time maybe the new GS leases will be better because they surely suck right now.
I didn't realize that this was an option. When you extend your lease, do they keep the payment the same and add additional mileage? Anybody had any experience with this? Buying a few extra months to wait for the December to Remember Event might be an alternative solution for me.
Old 06-28-16, 08:31 AM
drjosh123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmtamu
I wouldn't recommend getting a MY16 5 series. New body style for MY17 which may be out by the time the OP has to turn his car in.

I would go German if I were you, just not with the F10 BMW.
I agree with you on avoiding the F10 BMW. I never was a huge fan of it - took multiple test drives.
Old 06-28-16, 08:33 AM
drjosh123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
Exactly. And last model year BMWs are about as reliable as you can get in the BMW universe. These are the BMWs one should get if you do not care about latest and greatest toys.
I agree with you regarding reliability. However, if I lease I am less concerned.
Old 06-28-16, 01:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by drjosh123
I didn't realize that this was an option. When you extend your lease, do they keep the payment the same and add additional mileage? Anybody had any experience with this? Buying a few extra months to wait for the December to Remember Event might be an alternative solution for me.
It is in fact an option. With Toyota/Lexus your lease payment would be the same (not sure if this is true with other companies) and you can end the lease at any time up to 6 months. If you lease another Toyota/Lexus, they will waive the lease termination fee as well which for me is $350.

Edit: Forgot to add, the monthly mileage would stay the same as your current lease.

Last edited by patgilm; 06-28-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 04:27 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

OK,

Lexus Used Car Manager here.

1) $40K is retail. NOW, on a CPO with LOW miles on a great color. As in I just sold a CPO 14 F-Sport with 12K on it for $39,500.

2) GS lease programs were residual driven, I routinely buy these things for substantially behind residual.

IMO a 35K mile 2014 this fall will retail for around $36K CPO'd.
Old 06-28-16, 04:28 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Oh,

Smart move is to extend lease until December... Lexus has the best deals of the year then.

Quick Reply: End of lease options - am I stuck?