Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 07:38 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Who wastes $60k on one of these new? You wait 3 years and get it for near half the price. Assuming the mechanicals hold up.

Meanwhile W212s with low mileage can be had for $20k-$25k. That should tide you over.

The only car in this segment that I would buy new is the GS450h, mainly because of its rarity (tough to find the exact one you want used) and that it's an excellent car and worth owning for many years.
I agree w/ the sentiments of this post but don't chide anybody for buying new. Nothing beats the new car feeling and if you plan on keeping it for a while or if it's say a Prius or Jeep that holds its value really well it's not really a problem.

Personally, I will only lease new or buy used. It just makes a lot more financial sense. Again I don't chide people for buying new, but I have no desire to take the depreciation hit on a car. My IS250 was probably $45K-$50K when new, I got it for the same price as a mid-level Camry 2 years and 22K miles later. If I got bored of it I could sell it right now and recoup almost almost all my money, as I've barely put 6K miles on it. Heck, based on what I'm seeing on Autotrader and other Lexus dealers I could put another 30K miles on it and still recoup most of what i spent.
Old 06-26-16, 07:52 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I agree w/ the sentiments of this post but don't chide anybody for buying new. Nothing beats the new car feeling and if you plan on keeping it for a while or if it's say a Prius or Jeep that holds its value really well it's not really a problem.

Personally, I will only lease new or buy used. It just makes a lot more financial sense. Again I don't chide people for buying new, but I have no desire to take the depreciation hit on a car. My IS250 was probably $45K-$50K when new, I got it for the same price as a mid-level Camry 2 years and 22K miles later. If I got bored of it I could sell it right now and recoup almost almost all my money, as I've barely put 6K miles on it. Heck, based on what I'm seeing on Autotrader and other Lexus dealers I could put another 30K miles on it and still recoup most of what i spent.
When you lease, you are paying for the depreciation...
Old 06-27-16, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You can buy an almost new W212 for $30k, put the remaining $30k to work for you over the 3 years while you wait for this E-class to depreciate to about where it's worth.

Edit: Forget the W212, this beauty with just 35k miles can be yours for $36,999! Cheaper than a new Avalon:
I don't care. I don't want a used car. I'd buy a new Avalon. No such thing as "almost new", its either new, or its not.

In fact I had my own 2013 GS350 I could have bought out of the lease for about $36,999. Gave it back.
Old 06-27-16, 12:38 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incendiary
When you lease, you are paying for the depreciation...
I know but you get a new car.
Old 06-27-16, 03:02 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not really a matter of depreciation,wether you lease or buy it,its gonna depreciate,PERIOD,more and more people lease nowadays for various,and thats there own business,if you can afford to buy every time thats great,but most people cant,so whatever avenue you take its the RIGHT avenue and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.Also with leasing theres always an option to buy at the end of the lease,hey whatever works best for you thats exactly what you do,PERIOD...
Old 06-27-16, 06:35 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I know but you get a new car.
Not sure I follow you. You said you don't want to buy a new car because you don't want to pay for depreciation. Yet, you will lease a new car, because even though you pay for depreciation, you get a new car. Something is not computing for me...
Old 06-27-16, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're going to buy new and trade within a few years, leasing mitigates the cost of that depreciation somewhat I think is his point.
Old 06-27-16, 07:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

feel like I aged 20 years sitting in one
Old 06-27-16, 07:37 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you're going to buy new and trade within a few years, leasing mitigates the cost of that depreciation somewhat I think is his point.
Oh. I thought you were fully paying for the depreciation and sometimes more when you lease, though?
Old 06-27-16, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Oh. I thought you were fully paying for the depreciation and sometimes more when you lease, though?
and sometimes less. so many go into a lease there is no absolute. you just have to do your math and see what makes sense.

i have seen plenty of cases where people lease and by the end of the lease, they are over miles but the market value of the car is still higher than residual. so they sell the car to carmax and "make money".

to me lease can be looked at as some kind of umbrella protection. you have a safety net of how much you are going to "lose" during the lease term. you accepted that fact before you lease. so at the end of lease if you come up positive, sell the car yourself and pocket. if the car is worth much less? that means you have yourself protected (compared to if you buy).

and leasing in certain states like CA can have tax benefits as well
Old 06-27-16, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't care. I don't want a used car. I'd buy a new Avalon. No such thing as "almost new", its either new, or its not.

In fact I had my own 2013 GS350 I could have bought out of the lease for about $36,999. Gave it back.
it's always painful trying to explain buying new vs buying used to some people. it's just mentality, to me bottom line is whether one has the mean to do it or not
Old 06-27-16, 09:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It depends on the particular lease. A lot of cars have residuals considerably higher than their actual residual.

In any event, even if you're out the entire amount of the depreciation, you still don't have as much invested in the car and are protected from various losses, Etc, and it puts a floor on the residual.
Old 06-28-16, 03:08 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
and sometimes less. so many go into a lease there is no absolute. you just have to do your math and see what makes sense.

i have seen plenty of cases where people lease and by the end of the lease, they are over miles but the market value of the car is still higher than residual. so they sell the car to carmax and "make money".

to me lease can be looked at as some kind of umbrella protection. you have a safety net of how much you are going to "lose" during the lease term. you accepted that fact before you lease. so at the end of lease if you come up positive, sell the car yourself and pocket. if the car is worth much less? that means you have yourself protected (compared to if you buy).

and leasing in certain states like CA can have tax benefits as well
It depends on the particular lease. A lot of cars have residuals considerably higher than their actual residual.

In any event, even if you're out the entire amount of the depreciation, you still don't have as much invested in the car and are protected from various losses, Etc, and it puts a floor on the residual.
Got it. Too complicated for me, in other words.
Old 06-28-16, 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's really not that complicated at all when you take the time to understand it. You're paying monthly rent for the car, and you have a buyout option at the end. That amount is set upfront. At the end of the lease, if it's worth more than that you can sell it or trade it and pocket the difference. If it's less, turn it in and it's their problem.
Old 06-28-16, 08:28 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's always painful trying to explain buying new vs buying used to some people. it's just mentality, to me bottom line is whether one has the mean to do it or not
Not everyone has the means to buy new,so thankfully there are other avenues,whatever is best for thatparticular person is what they should do,PERIOD...

Quick Reply: Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed