Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed

As the title says I stopped by the MB dealer today and sat in their E400 demo. I didn't drive it, they had somebody they were working on getting ready to drive it, but I got to sit in it and spend some time walking around it, and really checking out the interior.

I was really underwhelmed. The car didn't feel special at all, I wouldn't rate it inside or outside any more appealing, better made, or as having better materials than the 5 Series, GS, A6, etc. This particular car was pretty low optioned, but the seats were thin and not well sculpted, the bottom of the seats were flat. Materials were very typical for the segment. This particular car did not have the TFT cluster and the basic gauges look horribly cheap and tacked on.

Reminded me way more of the C Class than the S Class, all the materials inside are very similar to what is used in that C, and not at all as nice as what is used in that S. I'll reserve final judgement for when I see one higher optioned and get to drive one...but right now I wouldn't choose this car vs the GS, 5 or A6 based on what I saw today.

Bummer...
Old 06-22-16, 04:30 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat in a higher spec model at an auto show and was thoroughly impressed. Color choices, options, etc. make a huge impact.
Old 06-22-16, 08:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the dual screen is a must for this car, its the show stopper. I wonder what color combo your test vehicle had? The standard MB Tex design on the seats is ugly IMO, and leather is a must to get the horizontal slats instead of the vertical. With the proper leather, and the proper wood choice (the matte colors), the car can look really good.

Also, I am extremely sad that only the luxury model gets the top stitch dash in MBTEX and it will not be available on the sport model. This small detail really changes the car, and the standard injection molded dash just doesn't cut it anymore.

Im pretty sure the E will be my next vehicle, getting rid of the C
Old 06-22-16, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was a fairly basic white on cream, MB Tex car. Interesting that would be their demo.

The injection molded dash is crummy looking.

I hope I'm more impressed with a higher spec car.
Old 06-22-16, 09:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

In case anyone is wondering, the MBTEX versus Leather design:

MB-Tex

Leather

Old 06-22-16, 09:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So you definitely didn't sit in a E400, but rather an E300. Otherwise I agree it's not all that in most basic form. The fully optioned models impressed me when I sat in them though.
Old 06-23-16, 02:53 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Cheap E-class variants exist to be turned into repmobiles and taxis in Europe, hence the MB Tex and cheapish dash design. Too bad they didn't keep the same dash design in all models like what Lexus does. The stitching really spruces up the interior.
Old 06-23-16, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
So you definitely didn't sit in a E400, but rather an E300. Otherwise I agree it's not all that in most basic form. The fully optioned models impressed me when I sat in them though.
It was an E300, correct. No E400 in the US yet.

Its like all Mercedes models, unless they get the right packages and upgrades, they actually are pretty homely...I also have found that while I like Lexus, BMW and Audi models better in person than in pictures, in general I like Mercedes models in pictures better than in person. The exception is the S Class.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Cheap E-class variants exist to be turned into repmobiles and taxis in Europe, hence the MB Tex and cheapish dash design. Too bad they didn't keep the same dash design in all models like what Lexus does. The stitching really spruces up the interior.
This wasn't destined to be a taxi lol, and this wasn't in Europe. The car was $60,000...same as what my Luxury GS350 was, and that car was a much nicer car inside and out than the E Class I saw.

If that car was $50,000 that would be one thing...
Old 06-23-16, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Sat in a few MBs at the NY auto show. Interior is very underwhelming. Lots of cheap hard plastics and flimsy pieces as well.
Old 06-23-16, 09:00 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
Sat in a few MBs at the NY auto show. Interior is very underwhelming. Lots of cheap hard plastics and flimsy pieces as well.
Can't say I felt there was an abundance of cheap hard plastics at all.
Old 06-23-16, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So how does the W213 interior compare to the W212? Because personally I thought the W212 was garbage compared to an equivalent A6 or GS.
Old 06-23-16, 10:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My daughter just picked upna very nicely white/black nicely equipped C300.Very nice car in looks in and out,comfort and ride quality.She liked the C more than the E.
Old 06-23-16, 10:19 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So how does the W213 interior compare to the W212? Because personally I thought the W212 was garbage compared to an equivalent A6 or GS.
Massive improvement in both design and quality.

I agree the W212 was a POS. I don't understand how somebody could sit inside a 5-series, A6, or GS then sit in the Benz and think it was even at par for the class. Cheapness abound w/ a very ugly design. That car didn't age well inside or out.

Mercedes as a whole were very mediocre since the Chrysler years. It was only at the time of the new S-class and subsequent C and E redesigns where I started feeling that Mercedes is back on track. Their SUVs still have a long ways to go.
Old 06-23-16, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

I agree the W212 was a POS. I don't understand how somebody could sit inside a 5-series, A6, or GS then sit in the Benz and think it was even at par for the class. Cheapness abound w/ a very ugly design. That car didn't age well inside or out.

Mercedes as a whole were very mediocre since the Chrysler years. It was only at the time of the new S-class and subsequent C and E redesigns where I started feeling that Mercedes is back on track. Their SUVs still have a long ways to go.
Nice assessment, I echo your sentiments
Old 06-23-16, 10:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice assessment, I echo your sentiments
I think it's very important to distinguish between design, materials, and build quality. The W212's build quality and interior materials were great- the design, however, did not age well at all. And the SUV's that are currently still using that design language are worse off for it. Somehow I think the coupe still looks nice even though the interior isn't that different.

For the record, I think the W221 S-class aged extremely well and was still very competitive right up until the end.

Quick Reply: Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed