Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed

Old 06-25-16, 07:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was just in europe. tons and tons of (mostly german) wagons on the road.
in Germany, premium wagons are most popular fleet vehicles... i really dont like them :-)
Old 06-25-16, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
gotta pay up for options if you want it to be really nice.
This car was $60,000. It was worlds behind what all its other competitors bring to the table inside for $60,000. An ES was nicer inside than this car...

I'm sure optioned up its really nice, but then you're going to have a $70,000 240hp 4cyl sedan...
Old 06-25-16, 10:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's one thing I like about Lexus, you don't feel like you're getting ripped off in terms of interior appointments if you go with the base model. Benz, BMW, Audi, yeah they charge you extra for stuff that's standard in a $25,000 mid-level Accord, which really rubs me the wrong way.
Old 06-25-16, 11:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

When the C came out two years ago, its price was also highest in the segment and everyone freaked out. Then, massive discounts made it comparable to the other models. Sister got 8K off her C300 in december of 2014. I have no doubts that the E will face something similar.
Old 06-26-16, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
in Germany, premium wagons are most popular fleet vehicles... i really dont like them :-)
ok. i was referring to german brands by the way. i was in uk. as i said, a6, e, 3/5 wagons everywhere.

during about 1500 miles of driving i think i saw 2 lexus vehicles total! one was an rx and one was a ct.
Old 06-26-16, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's one thing I like about Lexus, you don't feel like you're getting ripped off in terms of interior appointments if you go with the base model. Benz, BMW, Audi, yeah they charge you extra for stuff that's standard in a $25,000 mid-level Accord, which really rubs me the wrong way.
I will say though, I also saw a base GS200t and I was shocked to find that it had plastic trim where the wood trim is on the better models. Totally shocked to see that.

Hard to tell in the pictures but its a weird greenish/grey trim with lots of lines and textures in it. Its not really an "imitation wood", best example is similar to whats in my Kia Sedona. Its a patterned plastic trim. In any event, not cool:

Old 06-26-16, 11:47 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All the W212 E Classes I drove had some of the most solid closing doors that I've ever seen...
Maybe it's just the models I drove? I just didn't feel it was as well put together as its competitors, but again I am very nitpicky and cynical. When it comes to cars I look for faults first before focusing on the good. We can agree to disagree on this one.
Old 06-26-16, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Maybe it's just the models I drove? I just didn't feel it was as well put together as its competitors, but again I am very nitpicky and cynical. When it comes to cars I look for faults first before focusing on the good. We can agree to disagree on this one.
I'm pretty picky too, but every E Class I've ever driven felt very solid and well put together to me.
Old 06-26-16, 03:06 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
So you definitely didn't sit in a E400, but rather an E300. Otherwise I agree it's not all that in most basic form. The fully optioned models impressed me when I sat in them though.
Looking at those pictures its looks pretty skimpy and uncomfortable,but the S550 4matic COMFORT EXTRAORDINAIRE, UNBELIEVABLE even the older models starting from 2007...
Old 06-26-16, 03:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who wastes $60k on one of these new? You wait 3 years and get it for near half the price. Assuming the mechanicals hold up.

Meanwhile W212s with low mileage can be had for $20k-$25k. That should tide you over.

The only car in this segment that I would buy new is the GS450h, mainly because of its rarity (tough to find the exact one you want used) and that it's an excellent car and worth owning for many years.
Old 06-26-16, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Who wastes $60k on one of these new? You wait 3 years and get it for near half the price. Assuming the mechanicals hold up.

Meanwhile W212s with low mileage can be had for $20k-$25k. That should tide you over.
Clearly plenty of people "waste $60k on these new" otherwise there wouldn't be used ones.

I don't buy used cars.
Old 06-26-16, 03:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly plenty of people "waste $60k on these new" otherwise there wouldn't be used ones.

I don't buy used cars.
You can buy an almost new W212 for $30k, put the remaining $30k to work for you over the 3 years while you wait for this E-class to depreciate to about where it's worth.

Edit: Forget the W212, this beauty with just 35k miles can be yours for $36,999! Cheaper than a new Avalon:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27219440&Log=0

And unlike that Mercedes, it actually has real leather in it.

You crazy lucky Americans.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-26-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 03:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

has nothing to do with how cheap you can get the car in a few years. Like Steve, I will not buy used. No other feeling in the world like picking up a brand new car with the new car smell. There is no way to know how the used car was cared for, washed, treated on a daily basis. People have different priorities, and there are always people in this world willing to pay to play, myself included.
Old 06-26-16, 06:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
has nothing to do with how cheap you can get the car in a few years. Like Steve, I will not buy used. No other feeling in the world like picking up a brand new car with the new car smell. There is no way to know how the used car was cared for, washed, treated on a daily basis. People have different priorities, and there are always people in this world willing to pay to play, myself included.
There are arguments for both sides, but I'm with you. I am willing to pay extra for a new car. Besides, where am I going to put that extra $30k? In the stock market, so I can watch it drop even more than the value of the car thanks to Brexit?
Old 06-26-16, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
but then you're getting a 3 year old car, with 3 year out of date electronics and features. a car that who knows what has been done to for 3 years. it may be 'clean' or whatever puffery is given in its description, but it could have been driven like a getaway car for all you or anyone knows and maybe the oil was never changed.

I don't buy used cars.
i haven't so far either.

Originally Posted by RXSF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat in a new MB E Class today, I was underwhelmed