Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep Grand Cherokee's electronic shifter causes death of actor Anton Yelchin

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 02:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just FYI, they did change it for 2016 in an otherwise unchanged vehicle. Retrofitting the 2016 shifter into the 2015 would just be a matter of the plastic console top and the shifter unit.
Even if it's that simple, it's not a good idea because of what owners are used to.
Old 06-22-16, 02:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Actually BMW went back to the classic mechanical shifter in their new X1 model. I hope this trend continues with future BMW models and other automakers.
I don't. Bmw is doing that to save money in their entry ute.

Originally Posted by chikoo
The fix appears to be moronic unless there appears to be a customer need (jeep-ers have wonky needs for off-roading) to have the vehicle in Any other gear than P when there is no key in the vehicle.
But someone might leave the key in the vehicle...
Old 06-22-16, 03:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The FCA gear shift design. No park button and possibly no park/lock shift function.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee I Electronic Shifter 3.6 L Engine - YouTube

BMW's design from way back in 2012. There's a park button on the transmission with a proper park/lock shift function. That's all FCA had to do.

BMW Electronic Gear Shift Operation - YouTube
I have a BMW, and while I've never tried the FCA gearshift, the BMW's is clearly better. FCA uses a single button on the shifter. BMW's gearshift has a simple, dedicated button to put the car in Park--you can't accidentally fail to push the lever far enough, like in the Jeep. It took me no time to get used to the BMW shifter.
Old 06-22-16, 03:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But we all demand the latest and greatest tech and it comes mostly from other industries or sectors. Much of the auto tech we are benefiting from comes from aviation and it is a proven, safe way of travel. In the cockpit of your regional jet, you will see a lot of tech similar to what you see in a modern car.

I can't say that one celebrity who died is the symbol of a defect by a manufacturer. But why do we not care about all the individuals who died because of the GM ignition switch issue? Takata airbag injuries?

Yes a celebrity died, and his death at 27 is tragic. But ask the parents of young people who died due to any number of auto manufacturer cost cutting defects, and you will get tales of woe and high school prom pics etc.
Everyone wants more cupholders and console storage space for iPads. How else are you supposed to get it?
Old 06-22-16, 05:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well unfortunately a day late and dollar short, with an actor's death prompting the fix. Now they'll be making sure that if the door is open and you think you parked it, it will make sure that it shifts into park and sound the chimes etc. And you Charger and 300 guys, make sure that emergency brake is always engaged.

But the Yelchin family's lawyers are going to have a field day with FCA. They'll ask things like: you suddenly rushed a fix now? Was that coincidental with Anton's death? The police investigation hasn't even concluded so what did you know that the rest of the public don't know? How long did you know about this problem?

Those will be tough questions to answer.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/22/auto...fix/index.html

The software update will take a few hours to perform. After that the transmission will automatically shift to Park if the driver's side door is opened, the driver's seatbelt is unbuckled and the vehicle is stopped or moving slowly.

The vehicles involved in the gear selector recall are model-year 2012-2014 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 sedans, and model-year 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.

Owners are advised to park their vehicles carefully. Drivers should always look to make sure the transmission is in Park before taking their foot off the brake and getting out. Drivers should also apply the parking brake every time they park.

Later versions of these vehicles have gear selectors that are easier to use.

Last edited by MattyG; 06-22-16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-25-16, 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well unfortunately a day late and dollar short, with an actor's death prompting the fix.
wrong. i had notification from fca that a fix was coming prior to the actor's accident.
Old 06-25-16, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Bit's right...FCA has been in contact with owners about this well before this happened, they stopped sale on all new 2015s still on lots, etc.
Old 06-25-16, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

no doubt there's increased urgency now that this horrible thing has happened.
Old 06-26-16, 12:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its getting to the point a computer controls every input from the driver, I even think there are some non mechanical parking brakes. In a new car your life could be ended at anytime by a computer glitch or someone commandeering the computer system like shown on the various tv news shows. And no one seems to ever talk about the On star like systems in all the new cars, that report GPS data and operating parameters, as well as allowing OBD remote operation and diagnostics.
Old 06-26-16, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Where are the computer glitches ending peoples lives then?
Old 06-27-16, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Mercedes Benz has a similar shifter where the gear selection stalk (up where the wiper stalk usually is) returns to a centered position once a gear is selected. The difference is (and I hate it BTW, but now see its reason) when you open the driver side door, the trans automatically shifts to park.
The difference also is that there is a separate park button, so it's a lot harder to mess up selecting park.
Old 06-28-16, 07:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but my cousin is in town and she has rented a Chrysler 200. It has the rotary shift ****, and although I know it was implemented to create more space in the console it is the most stupid implementation. Having to turn the **** from P to D after so many years of using an actual shifter is just not intuitive. I've also learned why the 9-speed transmission is so maligned. I love the exterior design, but no wonder they are discontinuing this car.
Old 06-28-16, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Not to hijack the thread, but my cousin is in town and she has rented a Chrysler 200. It has the rotary shift ****, and although I know it was implemented to create more space in the console it is the most stupid implementation. Having to turn the **** from P to D after so many years of using an actual shifter is just not intuitive. I've also learned why the 9-speed transmission is so maligned. I love the exterior design, but no wonder they are discontinuing this car.
Hate the rotary shifter.
Old 07-06-16, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Just got my notice to get the fix. It says it's software only, called 'auto park'.
Old 07-07-16, 04:16 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What happens if you're reversing slowly and you open the door to check on something outside? Does the transmission slam into park immediately to stop the car? I don't recommend Balboni-style reversing with the door open but at least Lexus lets you do it, although the warning screech should alert the driver that something's not right.

Quick Reply: Jeep Grand Cherokee's electronic shifter causes death of actor Anton Yelchin