Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Named Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Maintain

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 06:17 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a useless article. What methods did they use? How many miles where used to determine?

I looked at the Mercedes website, a C-class has a pre paid maintenance package for $1600 that covers the first four years. I find it hard to believe that years 5-10 will then cost $10,000 in additional maintenance.

I call articles like this useless, I am surprised it does not have Consumers Reports as the author.
It's not really an article per se, it's an advertorial. The originating site, Yourmechanic, are selling you a service - being the middleman to cut your repair costs. The article has no real attribution to any sources. It says it has some sort of "dataset" that proves its claims.

it also conflates "maintenance" costs and "repair" costs all into one and then rolls them into a 10 year period. So this doesn't seem to take into account anything that has to do with buying and owning a new car under warranty vs having that same car six years later off warranty.

Maintenance is the stuff you do to keep the car working for you to optimum standards. Repair is what you do when the maintenance has not been done or it is not enough to keep the car running to factory standards. The German cars have been notorious for needing a lot of repairs over and above maintenance as they age because there is no warranty to cover them.
Old 06-14-16, 06:59 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm feeling better after the Purchase of my Lexus after reading this article.
Old 06-15-16, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Sorry, Lexus also recommends 10,000 miles on synthetic oil. At least Lexus gives me flexibility to change at any mile you want because I don't buy the over priced plan that limits me to every 10,000 miles. The latest you should run on your synthetic engine oil should be 8,000 miles. Synthetic oil will last longer than 10,000 miles. Yes, it will, but it starts to degrade at around 4,500 miles (If you can tell the differences in engine performance at all).
Originally Posted by Chocolate
Yeah, Mobil 1 Extended Performance claims to last 15,000 miles, but I would never run it for more than 6 or 7,000, or 8-9 months, before changing. The 10,000 interval is purely a cost saving measure. The oil and oil filter won't stay clean for 10,000 plus miles.
Plenty of members here have done oil analyses that show that this isn't the case, also remember that Lexus now recommends an oil change interval of 10k also.

Lexus recommends the synthetic oil be changed every 10k miles, so thats what I do. All the oil analyses I've seen on this site indicate that the oil is still performing well at 10k miles, and some people go longer, but I stick to the factory recommendation.
Old 06-15-16, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Plenty of members here have done oil analyses that show that this isn't the case, also remember that Lexus now recommends an oil change interval of 10k also.

Lexus recommends the synthetic oil be changed every 10k miles, so thats what I do. All the oil analyses I've seen on this site indicate that the oil is still performing well at 10k miles, and some people go longer, but I stick to the factory recommendation.
Does the oil analysis check on the strength of the packages/additives, or just the base oil-stock itself? The base viscosity of the oil, in general (whether petroleum or synthetic-based), tends to last longer than the effects of the added detergent, anti-scuff, anti-oxidation, and other packages added to the oil itself. So, in some cases, after time, you still have a lubricant left inside that still reduces friction some, but doesn't do much of anything else.....allowing dirt and contaminants to build up.
Old 06-15-16, 08:18 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Like I said, synthetic oil will go further than 10K miles, but it will degrade way before that. I notice significant performance decrease of oil at 500 miles vs one at 5000 miles when I do autocross.
Old 06-15-16, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does the oil analysis check on the strength of the packages/additives, or just the base oil-stock itself? The base viscosity of the oil, in general (whether petroleum or synthetic-based), tends to last longer than the effects of the added detergent, anti-scuff, anti-oxidation, and other packages added to the oil itself. So, in some cases, after time, you still have a lubricant left inside that still reduces friction some, but doesn't do much of anything else.....allowing dirt and contaminants to build up.
You would have to contact Blackstone labs and see what all they measure, but its a wide variety of factors, metal content, carbon content, etc etc

Originally Posted by cino
Like I said, synthetic oil will go further than 10K miles, but it will degrade way before that. I notice significant performance decrease of oil at 500 miles vs one at 5000 miles when I do autocross.
Big difference between auto crossing and regular driving. Look at the lab results, very similar across the board at 10k as when new.
Old 06-15-16, 08:46 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

10 years ago, there was less stuff to break.

As cars become more electronically complicated, you'll see lexus repair costs go up
Old 06-16-16, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But if those costs go up for everybody, Lexus would still be the cheapest.
Old 06-16-16, 02:09 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
10 years ago, there was less stuff to break.

As cars become more electronically complicated, you'll see lexus repair costs go up
True but it's all relative. Repair costs still won't compare to those of the German makes.

This article validates my decision to get a 2 year old IS w/ 25K miles as a DD despite having an E90 BMW that is by far a superior car. That thing, while it never had any major issues, still became costly to maintain after the warranty expired. This Lexus wouldn't have cost me a dime in maintenance even if it had no warranty.
Old 06-17-16, 07:31 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
True but it's all relative. Repair costs still won't compare to those of the German makes.

This article validates my decision to get a 2 year old IS w/ 25K miles as a DD despite having an E90 BMW that is by far a superior car. That thing, while it never had any major issues, still became costly to maintain after the warranty expired. This Lexus wouldn't have cost me a dime in maintenance even if it had no warranty.
what did you have to maintain in the bmw?

could you have done them in a private shop?

I do all my routine maintenance at private mechanic.