Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Named Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Maintain

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 02:16 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Named Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Maintain

If you're in the market for a luxury automobile, and you don't like paying maintenance costs, then Lexus is your best bet.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 06-13-16, 06:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not surprising since nothing ever breaks.
Old 06-13-16, 06:18 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, my 10 year old IS has been pretty solid all these years. Starting to show sign of tranny wear, but at 114k, that is to be somewhat expected.
Old 06-13-16, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Totally agree with the article. Out of all the vehicles I've owned over the decades, my IS has been the cheapest to maintain. Routine servicing, the occasional recall/bulletin, new tires every few years, and I'm rarely paying for anything here. I'm still on the original brakes at 45k miles. It's a big draw when thinking about a future purchase.
Old 06-14-16, 12:05 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Yup, the maintenance on my IS250 was just as cheap as any Toyota. Only thing I didn't like was changing the front tires every 20-25k miles.
Old 06-14-16, 01:10 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My 1992 SC300 has been rock solid reliable for the past 4 years, but then again its low mileage, it has 94k on it now. Other than tires, the only work it has needed from 60k to 94k has been a recharge of the a/c system and all new clutch hydraulics, to the tune of $500. I know its going to need brakes soon, but once again I'm amazed that I haven't had to do that sooner. Oh and the power antenna broke, just like the other 3 cars I've owned that had one, but Lexus put a secondary antenna in the rear glass, so I still get radio stations, they just aren't crystal clear, but all I listen to on the radio is NPR talk radio, so whatever.
Old 06-14-16, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What a useless article. What methods did they use? How many miles where used to determine?

I looked at the Mercedes website, a C-class has a pre paid maintenance package for $1600 that covers the first four years. I find it hard to believe that years 5-10 will then cost $10,000 in additional maintenance.

I call articles like this useless, I am surprised it does not have Consumers Reports as the author.
Old 06-14-16, 08:40 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a useless article. What methods did they use? How many miles where used to determine?

I looked at the Mercedes website, a C-class has a pre paid maintenance package for $1600 that covers the first four years. I find it hard to believe that years 5-10 will then cost $10,000 in additional maintenance.

I call articles like this useless, I am surprised it does not have Consumers Reports as the author.
Mercedes maintenance plan is every 10,000 miles or 1 year. Lexus recommended interval is 5000 miles, and the annual cost is still cheaper. As soon as you bring your car in for oil change, Lexus will check tire pressure, cabin filter, fluid level, and other stuff that may need to be replaced for free of charge. Mercedes includes those costs in their plan. Convenience isn't it?

Lexus Named Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Maintain-tr.jpg

Last edited by cino; 06-14-16 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 08:40 AM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had my IS350 serviced at the dealership for just an oil change. I was expecting to pay $100+ but ended up spending $70 for the service.
Old 06-14-16, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Convenience isn't it?

Attachment 389724
Taking a car to the dealer for service once a year is more convenient that twice.
Old 06-14-16, 09:39 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Taking a car to the dealer for service once a year is more convenient that twice.
Sorry, Lexus also recommends 10,000 miles on synthetic oil. At least Lexus gives me flexibility to change at any mile you want because I don't buy the over priced plan that limits me to every 10,000 miles. The latest you should run on your synthetic engine oil should be 8,000 miles. Synthetic oil will last longer than 10,000 miles. Yes, it will, but it starts to degrade at around 4,500 miles (If you can tell the differences in engine performance at all).
Old 06-14-16, 09:54 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, Mobil 1 Extended Performance claims to last 15,000 miles, but I would never run it for more than 6 or 7,000, or 8-9 months, before changing. The 10,000 interval is purely a cost saving measure. The oil and oil filter won't stay clean for 10,000 plus miles.
Old 06-14-16, 01:55 PM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had a 2001 ford crown Victoria, I ran mobil 1 extended performance 5w-20 in it. I didn't change the oil for 10k miles and waited for over a year to service it. When I finally took it in, the service manager told me that there was barely a quart of oil left.
Old 06-14-16, 02:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you plan to keep your car long term, I think you should change the oil more often than 10k miles. Now granted if you're one of those people that does a LOT of highway miles(ie 20-30k miles a year all highway) then if you use a quality synthetic oil, you'd be all right with a longer oil change interval.

What kills oil is heat cycles, ie lots of short trips where the oil goes from cold to hot, hot to cold, or never even warms up to operating temp(ie driving 3 miles to the store in freezing weather). If you're doing all highway miles, there are a lot fewer heat cycles so your oil should last longer.

Personally I change the oil every 5k in both my Lexus and truck, I use Toyota filters and buy synthetic oil at Wal-Mart(way cheaper at Wal-Mart). I like doing my own maintenance and easy repairs, crawling under the car and checking things, sometimes you can catch a problem early before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-14-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-14-16, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing that helps with the maintenance of Lexus vehicles is that, unlike with some other luxury brands, Some of the work (and minor repairs) can be done for less money, at Toyota dealerships. In most instances, you get the same filters, plugs, wiring, fluids, brake pads, wiper blades, etc......, at both Toyota and Lexus shops. It's just that Toyota shops tend to charge less for the same work. I found that to be the case with my Lexus IS300. When I got the IS, the Service Manager at the local Toyota ship where I had gotten my former Celica and my mom's Corolla said bring the IS there for anything except warranty-related work (he and I were personal friends besides the business aspect, and he often asked my advice after a review). He said, at that time (early 2000s), that warranty work could only be reimbursed at an actual Lexus shop....but that may or may not have changed in the meantime.

And, from what understand, I'm wasn't the only one...a number of Lexus owners also use Toyota shops, for at least the simpler things.

Though I don't have the hard numbers or personal experience to prove it, I would imagine that Lincolns are also probably inexpensive by luxury-car standards to maintain, seeing as they are generally sold and serviced at Ford shops....Lincoln no longer has exclusive dealerships of their own in the American market. Some Audi functions might (?) also be able to be done at VW shops.....especially where they share the same engines/drivetrains.

Quick Reply: Lexus Named Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Maintain