Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you even bother to lock your car . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 12:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Do you even bother to lock your car . . . .

Just curious, because I never do. I don't leave anything worth stealing in the car most of the time. I figure its better they try the handle, look around, figure out there is nothing inside and leave. Rather than somebody throwing a brick through my window to find nothing of value.

In the rare occasion I'm at the mall or whatever and do buy something, it goes in the trunk and I lock the doors then.
Old 06-13-16, 05:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't lock it in my garage, but that's about it. Why would you invite opportunist thieves into your vehicle? The majority of vehicle "break-ins" are actually committed because the car was unlocked. So, not technically a break-in, but that's what they call them. Once inside, who knows what they'll do to your interior, regardless of any obvious signs of valuables. Lots of interior pieces can be sold on-line, too.
Old 06-13-16, 05:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Always ..............
Old 06-13-16, 10:02 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only never lock it in my garage.

There is a lot of important things they can steal. If I leave mine unlocked, they can steal the shift ****, tonneu cover, jacks, tools, information like registration, insurance, and manuals to name a few.
Old 06-13-16, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just curious, because I never do. I don't leave anything worth stealing in the car most of the time. I figure its better they try the handle, look around, figure out there is nothing inside and leave. Rather than somebody throwing a brick through my window to find nothing of value.

In the rare occasion I'm at the mall or whatever and do buy something, it goes in the trunk and I lock the doors then.
I have to say, leaving your car unlocked has to be one of the dumbest things a person could do.

Crime is about opportunity sure you might not have anything to hide, but mischief and cutting up the leather seats is easier done when one finds an unlocked car vs a locked car.
Old 06-13-16, 11:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep the convertible's top down sometimes, depending on the neighborhood and its visibility in public places.

For the motorcycles, I can't help that certain things are just "attached" or bolted on with simple tools. Hell, it takes two strong guys and a pick-up truck to take the whole bike away.

Simply said, I have accepted the fact that if anyone wants anything bad enough, they'll take it, no matter what precautions you take.
Old 06-13-16, 12:13 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I keep the convertible's top down sometimes, depending on the neighborhood and its visibility in public places.

For the motorcycles, I can't help that certain things are just "attached" or bolted on with simple tools. Hell, it takes two strong guys and a pick-up truck to take the whole bike away.

Simply said, I have accepted the fact that if anyone wants anything bad enough, they'll take it, no matter what precautions you take.
This is true for the hardcore thief. The little neighborhood hoodlums are a different kind. These are the ones walking from house to house pulling on door handles. When they find an unlocked car they get in. If it's locked they just move on unless they see something they really want. If they don't find something good after getting in they are just as happy yo destroy stuff. You can't totally stop crime. All you can do is limit your risk. Back in the day I use leave the car running while I ran in yo the post office. I would leave the keys in the car all night parked in the driveway. No way no how no mater where I live now.
Old 06-13-16, 01:49 PM
Silver09IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's crazy I always lock my car cept when its parked in the garage
Old 06-13-16, 03:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

OP that's stupid.... Sure come on in and look around. If you like torn up/cut up seats, scratches and other damage caused by vandalism, than keep doing what you are doing.

I am sure the type of person going around opening people's cars will not vandalize your car, they are just looking for valuables to take (sarcasm).
Old 06-13-16, 03:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

While I do my best to keep my personal belongings out of sight, I do still have items in there to take, such as my sunglasses in the center console box, or even my kids' car seats in the back seat. So I keep my car locked at all times, unless it's parked in my garage, though sometimes I leave it unlocked on the driveway for short periods of time.
Old 06-13-16, 06:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I even keep my car locked if it's sitting on the driveway in front of my house. Like others have said, I only unlock it when it's in the garage.
Old 06-13-16, 06:19 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Always locked. Even in the garage. lol
Old 06-13-16, 11:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Never keep your car unlocked. You are asking for all kinds of trouble, even if you leave nothing of value inside. Anyone crazy or under the influence enough can easily damage the inside of your vehicle or even figure a way to steal it. They can also grab pink slips, proof of insurance slips, registration, etc. to gain your identity.
These are always crimes of opportunity. All police departments across the country will say to keep your car locked.
Old 06-13-16, 11:17 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the free shelter, OP!
Old 06-14-16, 12:30 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

make sure you never tell this to your insurer, as you`ll be dropped quick as a fly.

Although you dont leave your valuables in a car, your car ships from the factory with plenty of valuables a car thief would like instead.

As they say, if it costs a penny, its worth something to someone somewhere

Quick Reply: Do you even bother to lock your car . . . .