Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Steel vs. aluminum war heats up with new Chevy ads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 07:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Bob Seger on vocals...
Old 06-08-16, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If Chevy wants to sell more trucks, they need to bring 'Like a Rock' back..
Although Chevy trucks are far better today than they used to be, not that long ago, it was "Like a Crock".
Old 06-08-16, 07:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like a rock - goes nowhere
Old 06-09-16, 06:06 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Makes you wonder if Ford went with a really thick gauge of aluminum that would hold up as well as steel if it would end up weighing just as much as a steel bed that is thinner gauge metal.
That's correct. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel, but is also 1/3 as strong. so from a flat sheet perspective, yes equal strength would weigh exactly the same. It gets more complicated when you start considering strategically removing material from some places and reinforcing in others. The net result can be a piece that is both stronger and lighter than a comparable steel piece.
Old 06-09-16, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
That's correct. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel, but is also 1/3 as strong.
Depends on the type. Aircraft-grade aluminum is very strong for its weight (and, of course, has to endure a lot of turbulence and stress while flying).....but, of course, is quite expensive. Ford (more or less) advertises aircraft-grade aluminum, but doesn't actually come out and say it up front.
Old 06-09-16, 10:44 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how these things go. Ford was advertising this last year. Note that there *is* a bed liner in this.

Old 06-09-16, 01:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on the type. Aircraft-grade aluminum is very strong for its weight (and, of course, has to endure a lot of turbulence and stress while flying).....but, of course, is quite expensive. Ford (more or less) advertises aircraft-grade aluminum, but doesn't actually come out and say it up front.
"Aircraft grade aluminum" is a blanket term that applies to a huge variety of wrought aluminum alloys that have been heat-treated, annealed, or age-hardened. Raw aluminum is used very infrequently in any application. The most common grades used in actual airplanes are 2000, 6000, and 7000 series, frequently 7075 or 6061. 6061 is often preferred for aircraft skins because it maintains its corrosion resistance even when abraded.

The high-stress areas of the F150 are made out 6000-series alloys--I'm finding conflicting information on which parts are 6061, 6022, 6014, or 6016. 6022-T43, which is the most popular grade used in automotive enclosures (bodies) has an Ultimate Tensile Strength of 325 MPa when painted, which is very similar to the 6061-T6 (345 MPa) commonly used in aircraft bodies. Low-stress areas of the F150 use a variety of 5000-series alloys.

Airplane parts are a perfect example of what I was talking about in my prior post. By strategically reinforcing the relatively weak aluminum in the appropriate manner, far less total material can be used. Also, fuselages in particular take advantage of their tubular shape, and get stronger the larger the diameter.

But you don't have to believe me, here's what the Fabricators and Manufacturers Association has to say on the topic:

The key requirements for automotive closures are panel bending stiffness and dent resistance. The elastic modulus of aluminum (70 GPa) is about one-third that of steel (210 GPa). As a result, parts previously designed for steel need to be redesigned to achieve
the same stiffness. One way to improve stiffness in aluminum is to increase the ribbing
used in the product or increase the part thickness. For closures and body-structure sheets, the thickness should be increased by a factor of about 1.45.... The resulting weight savings is about 50%
Old 06-10-16, 04:31 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

looks like another low class short sighted advertising attempt by GM. I think it's their advertising that really makes me dislike their brand. I remember a commercial where howie long was making fun of a person using the F150's "man step" feature which actually looked pretty useful, to using 9/11 images to sell trucks.
Old 06-10-16, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
But you don't have to believe me, here's what the Fabricators and Manufacturers Association has to say on the topic:
I'm not saying I don't believe you....I'm sure much of what you said is correct. I'm not an expert in, but I do have at least some knowledge of the types of aluminum used in aircraft, from my days as a pilot, Ground Instructor, and my days with the National Air & Space Museum.

As for vehicles, of course, aluminum is to the only lightweight substance we see. Plastic, carbon-fiber, and, in some cases, titanium is also used....though of course titanium is very expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-16 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 06:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
looks like another low class short sighted advertising attempt by GM. I think it's their advertising that really makes me dislike their brand. I remember a commercial where howie long was making fun of a person using the F150's "man step" feature which actually looked pretty useful, to using 9/11 images to sell trucks.
To me Chevy's "real people" ads are kind of lame. I don't know how effective they are, but not very believable. .
Old 06-10-16, 06:41 AM
Snoope
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like these attempts by GM to unseat the BEST SELLING Truck ever...

My back ground is material hauling and if you want to haul debri sized material we used steel or put liners in our aluminum boxes,trailers....If it was a constant barage we would even up grade our steel to take the abuse

Funny how they BOTH leave out little details on their mis givings; How many GM's do you see with a front marker or head light out; wiring or CHEAP parts .....Ford on their diesel /def exploits

I will go back quiet with a "back of the house" view......If any of my commercial accounts came through the shop without bed protection even here in Florida we know they were on the road to failure......sadly we see it weekly, price does not save you on the front end but on the returned investment side.......
Old 06-10-16, 06:59 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
I liked the Howie Long ads where they proved the Traverse was a better vehicle than the Honda Pilot because... it had more cargo space.

Still, the toolbox test is damning. Even though I would put a liner in first thing, not everyone does. Ford can and should address this with thicker gauge aluminum in the bed or a factory spray in bedliner, but they probably won't.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-10-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 07:28 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexBob2
To me Chevy's "real people" ads are kind of lame. I don't know how effective they are, but not very believable. .
Yes they should remove the "real people, not actors" lie from their advertisements.
Old 06-10-16, 07:34 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

I also like how they put a base F-150 against the fully loaded Silverado just for full effect.
Old 06-10-16, 07:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Yes they should remove the "real people, not actors" lie from their advertisements.
There is an ad up here where the "real people, not actors" crawl around a Malibu with the bowtie badges taped over (supposedly) and they ask if it is a BMW.

Quick Reply: Steel vs. aluminum war heats up with new Chevy ads.