Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Going back, your favorite "personal luxury" cars . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 06:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
dseag2-your childhood sounds like mine was. One friend's dad was a CEO at American Tobacco and got a new Caddy Coupe de Ville every few years. Another friend's dad was a CEO for Uniroyal Tire Co. and got a Fleetwood every few years. Dad owned his own meat shop. I HAD to keep dad's Buick up to snuff as that was our family's car from '67-72 when dad got a new Electra. Those Illinois winters ate up cars with that road salt so I was out there with the compounds and Turtle wax. I was pretty young too to be doing all that work. Between that stuff and working in dad's meat shop at 11 years old, I was busting my butt earlier than my friends!
Yes, very similar childhoods, except my great uncle owned a funeral home and always had new Caddy Fleetwood Broughams. They were like floating on air. When he passed away, my great aunt gave a Fleetwood Brougham to my dad that was as long as our house. It was red with a red leather interior. I called it the "pimp car". He also had a '91 Lexus LS400 at the time, so I quickly convinced him to sell the Caddy. He met a woman at a gas station who was driving a DeVille Coupe and wanted his Fleetwood. She wrote him a check and off he went.

When I was just a kid, my dad worked at a brokerage firm and he would bring his fellow brokers' cars to our house and I would wash, wax and detail them. I did the same for the neighbors. They couldn't believe how great their cars looked afterward and I made some nice spending money. My mom eventually made me stop because of all the water being used, along with the dirty towels! I would never trade my childhood because I learned what it means to work for a buck, just like you. Really makes you appreciate everything you have.
Old 06-11-16, 06:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

And while we're on the subject of "favorite personal luxury cars", this is my favorite of all time. '92-'00 SC300/400. I know it's not from the 60's or 70's, but the first model is 24 years old now and still looks good and is practical as an everyday driver. Compare that to a car that was introduced in '77 that you would still have wanted to drive in 2001!
Attached Thumbnails Going back, your favorite "personal luxury" cars . . . .-92-lexus-sc400.jpeg   Going back, your favorite "personal luxury" cars . . . .-92-lexus-sc300.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 06-11-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-11-16, 06:57 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, very similar childhoods, except my great uncle owned a funeral home and always had new Caddy Fleetwood Broughams. They were like floating on air. When he passed away, my great aunt gave a Fleetwood Brougham to my dad that was as long as our house. It was red with a red leather interior. I called it the "pimp car". He also had a '91 Lexus LS400 at the time, so I quickly convinced him to sell the Caddy. He met a woman at a gas station who was driving a DeVille Coupe and wanted his Fleetwood. She wrote him a check and off he went.

When I was just a kid, my dad worked at a brokerage firm and he would bring his fellow brokers' cars to our house and I would wash, wax and detail them. I did the same for the neighbors. They couldn't believe how great their cars looked afterward and I made some nice spending money. My mom eventually made me stop because of all the water being used, along with the dirty towels! I would never trade my childhood because I learned what it means to work for a buck, just like you. Really makes you appreciate everything you have.
Great read! I enjoyed it. You sound like you never had anything handed to you either. Nobody gave me anything it was all earned. Not only the value of a buck, but also working so hard at such a young age gave me that work ethic-almost a jonesing for hard work that I needed. I always worked hard at my jobs. I felt better working against a load.
And the appreciation for things I have-yes. I so appreciate this new RX and I feel very fortunate to be able to buy it. I still have my 2001 Tacoma truck and it still looks new after 15 years due to that illness I caught off dad's Buick haha!
But I am sorry to drag this thread off topic yakking about myself
Old 06-11-16, 10:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

And while we're on the subject of "favorite personal luxury cars", this is my favorite of all time. '92-'00 SC300/400. I know it's not from the 60's or 70's, but the first model is 24 years old now and still looks good and is practical as an everyday driver. Compare that to a car that was introduced in '77 that you would still have wanted to drive in 2001!
Yeah, I'm a major fan of those. Here's my 1992 SC300, 5 speed manual. Now it has 94,000 miles on it, I might cry when it reaches 100k.

Old 06-12-16, 01:10 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Also, going on back, this is IMO the first example of American "personal luxury", the 1956 and 1957 Contiential Mark II. One of the most expensive American cars of its time but man the lines on that car are just awesome. It bucked the styling trends of the day by being lower, wider, longer before anybody else. For that time, it had a minimal amount of chrome trim, which made it look that much sleeker IMO.

Old 06-12-16, 06:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah, I'm a major fan of those. Here's my 1992 SC300, 5 speed manual. Now it has 94,000 miles on it, I might cry when it reaches 100k.

This is actually one of the best specimens of an S300 in recent memory. The car is pristine, and the wheels, although they are not the originals, really compliment the style of the car and make it look more modern. Just curious... have you changed anything out in the interior to be able to listen to an iPod or is it still stock CD/Cassette?

Last edited by dseag2; 06-16-16 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:27 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

+1 really really clean
Beautiful car!
Old 06-19-16, 11:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

This is actually one of the best specimens of an S300 in recent memory. The car is pristine, and the wheels, although they are not the originals, really compliment the style of the car and make it look more modern. Just curious... have you changed anything out in the interior to be able to listen to an iPod or is it still stock CD/Cassette?
I still have the stock headunit, cassette player and 12 disc changer. I use a tape adapter to plug in my Ipod. I really don't like the way aftermarket units look in this dash, unless its an expensive touch screen unit, but even then I'm not sold. There is a way to mod the factory headunit to accept an aux in, requires a bit of soidlering, but I've been a bit lazy, especially since I don't drive this car every day.