Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 08:32 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
As someone who ran over road debris that damaged my car because 1) I was following too close to the car in front of me and 2) the car behind me was following too close to me, I wish the guy in front of me had gently brake-checked me so I would have gotten the signal to slow down and would have left more room.
To me, that is odd responsibility shifting. It is not someone else's responsibility to tell you to follow at a greater distance. If you aren't comfortable driving that close to another car, or you feel you shouldn't be doing it, then don't do it. Creating a hazard to potentially avoid a later, theoretical hazard just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I wouldn't say "gently" brake checking someone is a thing. If you're being gentle about it you're just slowing down. Brake checking is more abrupt. People slamming on the brakes to scare the other driver. Still, if you're in the left lane and just coasting your way to a slower speed because someone is too close behind you it has the potential to escalate a situation.
Old 06-26-16, 08:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
As someone who ran over road debris that damaged my car because 1) I was following too close to the car in front of me and 2) the car behind me was following too close to me, I wish the guy in front of me had gently brake-checked me so I would have gotten the signal to slow down and would have left more room. If I'd had more room I could have swerved around the debris. I know that is something we should automatically do, but when traffic is heavy sometimes we follow too close. He would have actually done me a favor.

And yes, I do brake check because if someone is following too closely behind me I want them to know they need to back off in case (god forbid) there is debris on the road or an accident I need to slow down for. They need to be able to slow accordingly without rear-ending me.
Why not do the right thing to begin with - Do not tailgate.

I am simply amazed people can't even think 1 step ahead in their life, let alone 2.

There is nothing to gain by tailgating. Why do it, and then expect somebody to play angel or devil to teach you the wrongs of your way.
Old 06-27-16, 06:45 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Why not do the right thing to begin with - Do not tailgate.

I am simply amazed people can't even think 1 step ahead in their life, let alone 2.

There is nothing to gain by tailgating. Why do it, and then expect somebody to play angel or devil to teach you the wrongs of your way.
Don't let me amaze you. I do think at least 2 steps ahead. In fact, I'm the one that is looking several cars ahead while others aren't even looking at the car in front of them. This was an isolated incident, traffic was heavy and was moving slow. That still didn't give me the time to see the road debris when the truck in front of me passed it. I don't typically leave 3 car lengths in front of me when traffic is going 35 mph because someone else will simply cut in. Now you know the rest of the story.
Old 06-28-16, 12:34 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree. The Pilot looks to be going fast enough. The Subi was an idiot
Hard to pick a side, I think we've all been in both positions. If I was the pilot and the speed limit is 65mph and im going 70mph still passing slower traffic in the right lane, then im using the left lane to properly pass slower moving traffic. And if some guy going 90mph is coming up to tailgate me, Yea id be tempted to brake check his *** too especially if he continues to do it and even still so after I've brake checked him once.

On the flip side, we've all been in the fast lane or even car pool lane and someones going EXACTLY speed limit and cars in the right lane are passing you; you start to get pretty annoyed that they wont move over. SO you start to tailgate them and become irritated if they do not yield to faster moving traffic.. Soooooo hard to say.
Old 06-28-16, 01:36 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
The guy in the pilot is the idiot for riding the passing lane and then braking hard when quicker traffic has caught up to him. He should have moved over to the right when faster traffic approached and not been a jerk hogging the lane and then causing a serious accident, that accident could have caused other people not even involved to die. He was not really tailgating either or honking/flashing lights and that guy was clearly going too slow with no cars in front of him. Bet that pilot driver did not bother stopping or trying to help that guy either. I can see a slight brake check if you are passing traffic in the left lane or there is someone right in front of you and that guy comes right on your tail and is honking and being a jerk but the guy was not doing that. The guy who braked like that can be charged for causing a accident plus some people if that happened to them will find that person and exact revenge.
Agreed. My hard rule on driving in the fast lane is this:
I don't care how fast you're driving, I don't care if you're going 120mph, if someone comes up behind you in the fast lane, GTFOOTW!!!
I don't generally drive in the fast lane so when I get a driver following to close, I simply slow down so they're forced to pass. I never brake check a tailgater, that's just asking for trouble.