Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 06:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Mi lord, my girlfriend was giving me a hard time .... It was an involuntary leg reaction.

Mi lord, there was a bee in the car....

And many more such stupid reasons which can very well be real but no way to prove or disprove.
Ahhh, you remember the guy that blamed the bee!
Old 06-12-16, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE

Subaru driver needs to leave his ego at home.
Not only his ego, but his need for speed as well.

Originally Posted by litesoarer
This, from the same crowd that brought you "Speed Kills"
It's not a crowd that brings that, but the simple laws of physics. While speed alone, of course, may not necessarily harm or kill unless you actually hit something, the scientific fact is that, all else equal, the faster you go, the more potential (kinetic) energy is stored in the moving vehicle, the harder and more severe the impact will be if you DO have an accident, and the more likelihood of injury or death. One can try to wish that fact away by blaming it on a crowd, but the crowd is not the determining factor. Remember, also...in general, the faster you go, the longer it will also take you to stop, and the longer your reaction-time before you actually get your foot on the brake

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-16 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-16, 08:32 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only his ego, but his need for speed as well.
Yes, the Subaru driver has a couple more videos of him street racing or trying to street race.
Old 06-13-16, 07:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This one got a real butt kicking

Last edited by chikoo; 06-14-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 11:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A police officer slammed on his brakes, but then gave the driver behind him a ticket! Monday night, that driver began the process of fighting the charges in court.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-accus...025649902.html

This comment is very interesting though...

Old 06-14-16, 02:02 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Subaru isn't even close to tailgating Honda, I've seen tailgating to a few inches on freeway. Honda is clearly left lane hogging, doesn't matter if you're going at speed limit.
Old 06-14-16, 02:17 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by dojoman
Subaru isn't even close to tailgating Honda, I've seen tailgating to a few inches on freeway. Honda is clearly left lane hogging, doesn't matter if you're going at speed limit.
Dash cams use a fisheye lens. It is like the peephole in your door. It makes things look much further away. The reality is he was about 8 feet behind him when he got brake checked. I run a dash cam in all my cars. The distance you see there is about the same as when I'm at a light behind someone. The distance distortion you have is what people don't get unless you run a cam.
Old 06-14-16, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
A police officer slammed on his brakes, but then gave the driver behind him a ticket! Monday night, that driver began the process of fighting the charges in court.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-accus...025649902.html

This comment is very interesting though...

I agree that what the cop did was not prudent (and even questionable)....but, legally, the guy following him, with three violations (glass too dark, tailgating, and no front plate) doesn't have much of an argument against it. If I were him, I'd just shut up and pay the ticket....it would also save him whatever he's paying his lawyer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-16 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 05:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that what the cop did was not prudent (and even questionable)....but, legally, the guy following him, with three violations (glass too dark, tailgating, and no front plate) doesn't have much of an argument against it. If were him, I'd just shut up and pay the ticket....it would also save him whatever he's paying his lawyer.
I don't think he is arguing the tint, and plate tickets. By no means could or should he have a ticket for tailgating. He was able to stop with a normal distance between him and the cop. That is with the cop slamming on the brakes trying to get him to hit him. I mean how stupid is the statement " I stopped because I thought you were going to run into me". What he was saying is I thought if I stopped you would hit me. So I thought I try my hardest to get you to hit me. Crap you weren't that close, but I'll give you a ticket anyway. This cop is no better than the pilot driver. I mean look at the nose dive of the cop car. He stopped hard.
Old 06-15-16, 09:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Too bad it wasn't a Mack truck on the Pilot's rear end. Self righteous people have no business "policing" the left lane.
First--both drivers are at fault here. The Subaru driver is equally trying to "police" the passing lane.

But watch the video again--It's not like the Pilot is a left lane squatter--he clearly was in the right lane, and then moved into the left lane to pass cars that were in the right lane. I can't get into the guy's head, but my WAG is that once the Subaru rode his ***, even though he was actually passing, that's when things got ugly, rather than the Pilot driver just moving back to the right lane. The Subaru could have been a little patient to wait for the Pilot to move back to the right lane, or flashed his high beams to nudge the Pilot a bit. And, as the video shows, brake checking the Subaru is extremely dangerous--but it's not like the Subaru driver backed off the first time--he only got closer.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-15-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 09:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
If he's not tailgating, then there would be no need for him to slam on his brakes when the driver in front of him brake checked.
Old 06-16-16, 06:38 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't tailgate, just call them on the phone....
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/14/t...way-fast-lane/
Old 06-25-16, 04:38 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I've never understood the point of brake checking someone. It seems like inherently irrational behavior.

What's the problem with someone following too closely? You're worried they won't be able to stop in time if necessary and will rear-end you.

What is your solution? To then cause the exact scenario you're afraid of taking place.

People who brake check think they're taking the moral high road and telling an "aggressive" driver to back off but they themselves are acting in a highly aggressive manner that is likely to just escalate an incident. People do it to teach the other driver an unnecessary lesson.

If you're in the left lane, the lane in front of you is clear, and you're still slowly passing traffic on the right, the best thing to do if someone comes up behind you and is riding your tail is to temporarily halt your passing by moving over the right and then resuming your passing once they've cleared. You're not a left lane hog, you aren't holding someone up, you still get to do your own passing, and everyone continues on their merry way. Too many people treat driving like some sort of competition or moral battle.
Old 06-25-16, 05:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
I've never understood the point of brake checking someone. It seems like inherently irrational behavior.

What's the problem with someone following too closely? You're worried they won't be able to stop in time if necessary and will rear-end you.

What is your solution? To then cause the exact scenario you're afraid of taking place.

People who brake check think they're taking the moral high road and telling an "aggressive" driver to back off but they themselves are acting in a highly aggressive manner that is likely to just escalate an incident. People do it to teach the other driver an unnecessary lesson.

If you're in the left lane, the lane in front of you is clear, and you're still slowly passing traffic on the right, the best thing to do if someone comes up behind you and is riding your tail is to temporarily halt your passing by moving over the right and then resuming your passing once they've cleared. You're not a left lane hog, you aren't holding someone up, you still get to do your own passing, and everyone continues on their merry way. Too many people treat driving like some sort of competition or moral battle.
Thank you, I fully agree
Old 06-25-16, 07:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400

As someone who ran over road debris that damaged my car because 1) I was following too close to the car in front of me and 2) the car behind me was following too close to me, I wish the guy in front of me had gently brake-checked me so I would have gotten the signal to slow down and would have left more room. If I'd had more room I could have swerved around the debris. I know that is something we should automatically do, but when traffic is heavy sometimes we follow too close. He would have actually done me a favor.

And yes, I do brake check because if someone is following too closely behind me I want them to know they need to back off in case (god forbid) there is debris on the road or an accident I need to slow down for. They need to be able to slow accordingly without rear-ending me.

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....