Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 07:33 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Here is another one. Again it takes two holes to create the problem. Both have the means to prevent it all by themselves though
Old 06-02-16, 08:13 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Provoked, or not, The Honda Pilot's driver knowingly and willingly created an unsafe condition not once, but twice in an increasingly aggressive manner.

This trumps the Subaru driver's careless approach and mishandling in this incident.
This. regardless if he was going at or above the speed limit, in most jurisdiction, that is an offence. Only douche bags that block the passing lanes use the speed limit to justify their douchebaggery.

Blocking the passing lane, when a faster vehicle wants to pass is not safe, period. Tailgatting is not either, but that driver paid the price for that.

Last edited by My0gr81; 06-02-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 10:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Provoked, or not, The Honda Pilot's driver knowingly and willingly created an unsafe condition not once, but twice in an increasingly aggressive manner.

This trumps the Subaru driver's careless approach and mishandling in this incident.
You are wrong. The Subaru was following to close.
Old 06-03-16, 03:01 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are wrong. The Subaru was following to close.
Watch the video a few more times. It was clearly an attempt to pass on the right with the Honda driver showing a childish level of aggression on more than one occasion.

Both parties share responsibility in this and I sincerely hope you aren't doing what the Honda driver did on the road for everyone else's sake.
Old 06-03-16, 03:04 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XPERIA
-The only reason why that Honda brake-checked was of out of the seer frustration that the tailgater caused upon him.
There are better ways to make a driver behind you aware that you are "too close for comfort", letting off the gas pedal would have conveyed the message just as well without deliberately disturbing traffic flow. You can thank both drivers for yearly premium increases on your insurance.
Old 06-03-16, 05:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Watch the video a few more times. It was clearly an attempt to pass on the right with the Honda driver showing a childish level of aggression on more than one occasion.

Both parties share responsibility in this and I sincerely hope you aren't doing what the Honda driver did on the road for everyone else's sake.
Brake check aside. If the Subaru left enough room, there would be no accident.
Old 06-03-16, 05:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

tailgaters suck....very few cases where there is justice

if you listen carefully you can hear the driver say "I don't care" which is repeated by the cool cop ...."you don't care? let me see your license and insurance"

Old 06-03-16, 05:57 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Brake check aside. If the Subaru left enough room, there would be no accident.
Avec des si et des mais, on mettrait Paris en bouteille Translation: With If's and but's we could put Paris in a bottle.

Subaru driver was wrong for tail gating, everyone here agrees, so what is your point?
Old 06-03-16, 06:30 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are wrong, and if you cannot see that, then there is no "Middle" where anyone can meet and see eye to eye to find an actual solution to a problem that honestly does not even exist!

I think that the driver of the Pilot was the worst of the two though. Move over and let an idiot be an idiot if you think he is one. Too many people are trying to fit roles these days that they forget who they really are and their actual worth.

I honestly dont even bother with idiotic people any longer. Just let them be and move along. If it is not helping those I love, or putting money in my pocket, I am fine by myself.
Old 06-03-16, 06:49 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Like I said it took both parties to create the problem. Either one by themselves could have prevented it. The wreck doesn't happen without both parties actively participating in road rage.

Notice I used wreck not accident, because this isn't an accident.
Old 06-03-16, 06:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Notice I used wreck not accident, because this isn't an accident.
because a wreck isn't an accident? you think he wrecked on purpose then

Suby driver was all cocky tailgating then panicked and crashed (notice I used crashed...)
Old 06-03-16, 07:19 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by bagwell

Suby driver was all cocky tailgating then panicked and crashed (notice I used crashed...)
I'm saying that both parties knew that their driving behavior could result in something bad. They just thought it wouldn't happen to them. That is the difference between reckless driving and careless driving, or a accident ( i.e. You looked over your shoulder but didn't see the car and changed lanes resulting in a wreck) that turned into a wreck, and a wreck that was a result of recklessness.
Old 06-03-16, 07:34 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell

that is why law enforcement call it a MVC, motor vehicle collision. in this case, loss of control that lead to the vehicle colliding into the ditch.

But seriously, everyone agrees that the Subaru driver was wrong and stupid (or cocky or even both), what it is unnerving to see anyone try to justify the actions of the Pilot driver.

The pilot driver was stupid (or cocky or both) and dangerous for brake checking
The pilot driver was stupid or had a sense of entitlement to hog and block the passing lane, but also block the Subaru driver from passing on the right.

Worst of all, the pilot driver was outrageously selfish and callous when he drove away, leaving the scene after causing the crash. I hope the cops track him down through the license plates from dashcam and charge him accordingly.

I wonder if some here who are defending the "rights" of the pilot driver to act as a speed enforcer see the irony of the situation. He had to break one part of the law to enforce another and put lives in danger. That is why vigilantism is unwarranted and unwanted in a law and order society. It doesn't fit into the definition of "order".

Last edited by My0gr81; 06-03-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 07:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

An accident is an incident that could NOT be prevented -- something that was out of the hands of the driver who is in the incident. This is NOT an accident; it was the fault of the Subaru driver and could have been prevented if that driver had not been following too closely and then making a reckless, very-poorly executed attempt to pass the idiot driver in front of him.

Yes, the Pilot driver was at fault also, for driving too slowly for the conditions (driving too slowly in his lane, which happens to be the fast, passing lane, when it was obvious that he was holding up fast-approaching traffic behind him).
Old 06-03-16, 08:18 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
An accident is an incident that could NOT be prevented -- something that was out of the hands of the driver who is in the incident. This is NOT an accident; it was the fault of the Subaru driver and could have been prevented if that driver had not been following too closely and then making a reckless, very-poorly executed attempt to pass the idiot driver in front of him.

Yes, the Pilot driver was at fault also, for driving too slowly for the conditions (driving too slowly in his lane, which happens to be the fast, passing lane, when it was obvious that he was holding up fast-approaching traffic behind him).
I think you are being too kind to the Honda driver. They intently and aggressively disallowed a vehicle from passing them more than once.

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....