Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 06:41 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with Jill. Limits are limits, whether left or right lane.....and if the Pilot was not speeding, legally he or she was correct. The Subie was too close and probably too fast. One thing, though, even without VSC, looks odd. Subie Symmetrical AWD systems are some of the best on the planet (I owned one myself of the same vintage as that Legacy)...and the traction from those AWD systems is so good that that car probably should not have spun out, especially with ABS (which the 2005 models had). Maybe the guy was driving on worn or bald tires....but even so, they should have gripped better than that on dry pavement.

Having said that, though, I'll also agree with Hoovey and yardie that brake-checking is sometimes not a very wise thing to do, legal or not.

Well, like it or not, though, that is sometimes going to happen....there's no way around that, simply because there are too many vehicles on today's roads and not enough cops to adequately police them. Jill is right...the Subie simply should have slowed down and stayed farther back. It would have saved his car...and any injuries he and/or his passenger suffered. (I hope, of course, the injuries weren't serious). The guy can argue all he wants about left-lane freedom and having a so-called "right to speed"....but look where that got him.
On the contrary, there are more than enough police monitoring the roads. The issue is lack of driver training and license basically being handed out of crackerjack boxes.
Old 06-01-16, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
On the contrary, there are more than enough police monitoring the roads. The issue is lack of driver training and license basically being handed out of crackerjack boxes.
Well, yes, there are certainly a lot of bozo drivers (that Legacy jock in the video proved it). But that doesn't necessarily mean that there are too many cops. In most places I've seen, there usually aren't enough....and that's why so many bozos on the road do the things they do.
Old 06-01-16, 08:19 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

bigger idiot in the subaru.
WTF is he driving so close for? Driver's education always teaches to keep a safe distance for good reaction time.

While the Pilot may not be going as fast as some people like, he is actually slowly passing the right lane cars.
First he passes the chevy truck, and on the 2nd brake check, there was another silver SUV he was creeping up on.

That said, Pilot was not pacing the odyssey in front of it. Pilot was falling back a little.

Brake check = keep your distance.
How else are you supposed to tell people to back the F off a little?
Yeah the civil thing to do is just to let the Suby Bro pass since bro is in a hurry.

I also wonder, if the PIlot went 10mph faster, would the subaru still hang on its ***? Probably would tailgate the Pilot no matter how fast the Pilot went.

The other issue is, how much do you exceed the speed limit on the passing lane? They're probably already exceeding the speed limit.

Last edited by pman6; 06-01-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
bigger idiot in the subaru.
WTF is he driving so close for? Driver's education always teaches to keep a safe distance for good reaction time.

While the Pilot may not be going as fast as some people like, he is actually slowly passing the right lane cars.
First he passes the chevy truck, and on the 2nd brake check, there was another silver SUV he was creeping up on.

That said, Pilot was not pacing the odyssey in front of it. Pilot was falling back a little.

Brake check = keep your distance.
How else are you supposed to tell people to back the F off a little?
Yeah the civil thing to do is just to let the Suby Bro pass since bro is in a hurry.

I also wonder, if the PIlot went 10mph faster, would the subaru still hang on its ***? Probably would tailgate the Pilot no matter how fast the Pilot went.

The other issue is, how much do you exceed the speed limit on the passing lane? They're probably already exceeding the speed limit.
Agreed. I myself brake check to get *******s from tailgating me because I know if I REALLY had to slow down abruptly (for road debris or an accident up front) they would rear end me. The guy in the Subi clearly wasn't paying attention to what was going on. He got what he deserved. Glad the Pilot didn't get damaged.
Old 06-01-16, 10:11 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is definitely on the Honda driver. People will be d*cks and most folks get tailed every day. The reasonable thing to do is to just move out of the way. The person tailing/pressurizing you will one day be caught by a cop and learn their lesson. Taking the law into your own hands is reckless and dumb.
Old 06-01-16, 10:51 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

100% Subaru's fault. It is your responsibility to maintain a safe distance.
Old 06-02-16, 12:47 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

egg and chicken here.
if he didn't follow so close, pilot wouldn't brake check.

I wouldn't brake check that abruptly though. The Pilot brake checked like an a-hole.

I would just ride the brake pedal enough to light up the tail light without slowing down.
Old 06-02-16, 04:31 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pilot driver is obviously paying attention to their RVM but is using that visual for a childish purpose. I'd cite both drivers upon reviewing the video.

Reckless Driving + Failure to keep right except to pass + Impeding flow of traffic (Wording may differ by state) on the Pilot, Careless Driving on the Subie.
Old 06-02-16, 05:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
gets brake checked once and goes back for more....idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJO...ature=youtu.be
I don't get it. Why couldn't the Subaru just play follow the leader instead of swerving?
Old 06-02-16, 05:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
100% Subaru's fault. It is your responsibility to maintain a safe distance.
Exactly. Following too close
Old 06-02-16, 07:35 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They're both dicks IMO. I do "brake check" people who are following me too close, but that consists of letting off the gas and slowing down gradually, while putting my foot on the brake just enough to light up the tailights. I'm not going to slam on the brakes and risk having the jackass hit me. Although in that type of situation where you can let the a@@hole on by, I always get out of the way, let him go **** off the next person.
Old 06-02-16, 08:09 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both at fault, but that Pilot is a total a**. He could just swallow his pride of riding slow on the fast lane and move over.
Old 06-02-16, 08:26 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cino, even the subie guy is a total a**. What was the point of him driving so close when he CLEARLY does not have the skills to handle a situation like this?
Old 06-02-16, 08:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
They're both dicks IMO. I do "brake check" people who are following me too close, but that consists of letting off the gas and slowing down gradually, while putting my foot on the brake just enough to light up the tailights. I'm not going to slam on the brakes and risk having the jackass hit me. Although in that type of situation where you can let the a@@hole on by, I always get out of the way, let him go **** off the next person.
Same, I like my car too much to brake check Life's too short to road rage so I avoid the left unless passing too
Old 06-02-16, 08:52 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The idiot was following to close.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree. The Pilot looks to be going fast enough. The Subi was an idiot
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with Jill. Limits are limits, whether left or right lane.....and if the Pilot was not speeding, legally he or she was correct.
Most jurisdiction's highway traffic acts would agree that safe flow of traffic trumps posted speed limits. That works both ways, faster or slower than the posted limit. Both drivers were in the wrong, but not because of how much faster they were going over and above the speed limit. One for Impeding safe flow of traffic and dangerous driving and the other for following too close and dangerous driving.

Even if neither get charged, the Insurance companies will have field day to assign shared liability to both drivers for the damages and each one gets to raise the driver's rates going forward.

Here in Ontario and all other Canadian provinces, if a major injury or death occurs due to dangerous driving, it can be grounds for criminal charges.

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....