Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 09:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default don't tailgate....

gets brake checked once and goes back for more....idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJO...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-01-16, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The idiot was following to close.
Old 06-01-16, 10:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The guy in the pilot is the idiot for riding the passing lane and then braking hard when quicker traffic has caught up to him. He should have moved over to the right when faster traffic approached and not been a jerk hogging the lane and then causing a serious accident, that accident could have caused other people not even involved to die. He was not really tailgating either or honking/flashing lights and that guy was clearly going too slow with no cars in front of him. Bet that pilot driver did not bother stopping or trying to help that guy either. I can see a slight brake check if you are passing traffic in the left lane or there is someone right in front of you and that guy comes right on your tail and is honking and being a jerk but the guy was not doing that. The guy who braked like that can be charged for causing a accident plus some people if that happened to them will find that person and exact revenge.
Old 06-01-16, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The guy in the pilot is the idiot for riding the passing lane and then braking hard when quicker traffic has caught up to him. He should have moved over to the right when faster traffic approached and not been a jerk hogging the lane and then causing a serious accident, that accident could have caused other people not even involved to die. He was not really tailgating either or honking/flashing lights and that guy was clearly going too slow with no cars in front of him. Bet that pilot driver did not bother stopping or trying to help that guy either. I can see a slight brake check if you are passing traffic in the left lane or there is someone right in front of you and that guy comes right on your tail and is honking and being a jerk but the guy was not doing that. The guy who braked like that can be charged for causing a accident plus some people if that happened to them will find that person and exact revenge.
I disagree. The Pilot looks to be going fast enough. The Subi was an idiot
Old 06-01-16, 11:04 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

As someone who uses a dashcam let me point something out. The wide angle lens makes things look much further away. Jut like your peephole in your door or your right hand car mirror. I know lots of people look at dashcam videos and say it wasn't that close. I see it at about 4 to 1 . What looks to be about four feet of distance is about one foot away. So this guy was probably only six to eight feet off of him. Way to close to be. They guy I the pilot was wrong to. On a limited access highway it is illegal to be in the left lane unless overtaking. It is also illegal to brake check. Both are very wrong. If he hadn't pulled up so close the pilot probably would have moved back over. It was a case of road rage on both parts.
Old 06-01-16, 11:20 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we have two left lane classic jerks; the tailgater bully and the lane hog. They occasionally meet up in that lane and this wreck would be the potential result.
They were both wrong.
Old 06-01-16, 11:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I read in the comments the Pilot didn't stop - I wonder what will happen to him/her?
Old 06-01-16, 12:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It was unwise for the Subi to tailgate but the pilot driver is an a** for brake-checking. Theres no justification for it. Putting your life in danger as well as the tailgater behind you solves what? It's even more terrible at the fact that he left the scene. If someone is coming up behind you going faster than you, just move over a lane and let him go. Or if you're feeling extra belligerent stay in the lane and let him go around you!
Old 06-01-16, 04:27 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The guy in Subaru should've passed him on the right and then perform a brake check himself
Old 06-01-16, 04:39 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad it wasn't a Mack truck on the Pilot's rear end. Self righteous people have no business "policing" the left lane.
Old 06-01-16, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If someone is left lane camping I will usually flash the hi-beams which usually gets them to move over, or just pass on them from the right lane if its open.

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
The guy in Subaru should've passed him on the right and then perform a brake check himself
So they could continue the vicious cycle? That doesn't solve anything and makes you just as bad as them. Not worth it.
Old 06-01-16, 05:12 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Both

It takes two to tango. Two idiots in this case.
Old 06-01-16, 05:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If someone is overtaking you in the left, move over because you're not going fast enough. Left is for passing, not camping.
Old 06-01-16, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with Jill. Limits are limits, whether left or right lane.....and if the Pilot was not speeding, legally he or she was correct. The Subie was too close and probably too fast. One thing, though, even without VSC, looks odd. Subie Symmetrical AWD systems are some of the best on the planet (I owned one myself of the same vintage as that Legacy)...and the traction from those AWD systems is so good that that car probably should not have spun out, especially with ABS (which the 2005 models had). Maybe the guy was driving on worn or bald tires....but even so, they should have gripped better than that on dry pavement.

Having said that, though, I'll also agree with Hoovey and yardie that brake-checking is sometimes not a very wise thing to do, legal or not.

Self righteous people have no business "policing" the left lane.
Well, like it or not, though, that is sometimes going to happen....there's no way around that, simply because there are too many vehicles on today's roads and not enough cops to adequately police them. Jill is right...the Subie simply should have slowed down and stayed farther back. It would have saved his car...and any injuries he and/or his passenger suffered. (I hope, of course, the injuries weren't serious). The guy can argue all he wants about left-lane freedom and having a so-called "right to speed"....but look where that got him.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 06:36 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I just watched two other videos by the same person. He thinks the road is a racetrack. Outrageous for busy roads he was on. Honestly I don't feel sorry for what did or might happen to both of these parties. Those who think they can be selfish and inconsiderate of others as to not care about anyone's safety. There are mistakes and accidents. Actions like these are neither of those. Both could be charged with reckless driving, which is a misdemeanor.

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....