Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

May 2016 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 12:55 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this rate Lexus may soon fall behind BMW again for the year.

Top 3 luxury brands:

Sales of May 2015:
1. Mercedes - 29,299
2. BMW - 29,017
3. Lexus - 26,682

Year-to-date 2015:
1. Mercedes - 134,304
2. Lexus - 125,785
3. BMW - 124,581
Old 06-01-16, 07:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Prius got hammered too. Wonder what the split of new 2016 and remaining 2015 that number is.
Old 06-01-16, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

seems like a lot of people are on holding pattern waiting for lexus to give out more incentives
Old 06-02-16, 04:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hyundai

Hyundai Motor America today reported their best all-time sales of 71,006 for the month of May, up 12 percent versus 1 year ago, led by exceptionally strong sales from the company’s family of CUVs.

“Our refreshed CUV lineup continues to exhibit strength in this market,” said Derrick Hatami, vice president of national sales for Hyundai Motor America.

All three CUVs -- Tucson, Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport -- experienced sales gains, almost double May 2015, with sales up 90 percent, 123 percent and 74 percent, respectively.

Old 06-02-16, 04:22 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default Volvo

Volvo Cars continued to grow sales globally in May and posted a 5.5 per cent increase in retail sales for the month, selling 42,107 cars. Sales of the new Volvo XC90 were the main growth driver globally, while the XC60 continues to be the best-selling model overall. Global growth for the 1st 5 months was 10.4 per cent.

China was Volvo’s biggest market in May, reporting retail sales of 7,045 cars, up slightly versus the same month last year. The best-selling cars were the locally produced Volvo XC60 and S60L models.

The United States reported a sales increase of 10.2 per cent versus the same month last year. Retail sales amounted to 5,536 cars. The new Volvo XC90 was the best-selling Volvo model in the US with the XC60 in 2nd place.

Sales in Europe as a whole amounted to 22,638 cars, up 3.3% per cent. Sweden was Volvo Cars’ second biggest market for the month with 6,545 sold cars, up 9.5 per cent versus May last year. Volvo continues to hold the leading position in Sweden with 4 models on the top-10 list of best-selling cars. The Volvo V40 was the best-selling model in Europe while the new XC90 represented most of the growth for the month.
Old 06-03-16, 04:59 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default Vw

olkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported sales of 28,779 units delivered in May 2016.

The Tiguan produced the best May results on record for the vehicle with 4,394 vehicles delivered, a 42.7 percent increase over May 2015.

“We continue to be impressed with the performance of the Tiguan in such a competitive segment,”
said Mark McNabb, chief operating officer, Volkswagen of America.

In May, the Chattanooga-built Passat delivered 7,129 units. The manufacturing facility is in preparation for an all-new midsize SUV which is expected to start production by the end of 2016. Last month Volkswagen Chattanooga reached an early milestone with the completion of the 1st assembled metal test body for the upcoming vehicle.

Old 06-03-16, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

hyundai/kia sold almost as many vehicles as honda/acura (134k vs 147k).
Old 06-03-16, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Buyers are so shortsighted.
sweeping statement much?

What they gonna do with all their SUVs when gas prices goes up another $1 from here and their residual value is all underwater like car owners are?
perhaps many buy those suv/cuvs because they like them or need them? you may dislike these vehicles, but that would put you in a minority.

and gas prices going up won't necessarily hurt their value significantly because sedans aren't a viable or desirable alternative for many.
Old 06-03-16, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hyundai/kia sold almost as many vehicles as honda/acura (134k vs 147k).
for sure they are selling tons. around town i see so many kia and hyundai. they are doing a great job
Old 06-04-16, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
for sure they are selling tons. around town i see so many kia and hyundai. they are doing a great job
Same here. My neighbors who have had one Lexus RX after another for years, are about to trade their current one in on a Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate because the wife can't stand the front of the new RX!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-04-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-04-16, 09:34 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Same here. My neighbors who have had one Lexus RX after another for years, are about to trade their current one in on a Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate because the wife can't stand the front of the new RX!
It's not just the front, the whole car looks like the Star Wars ship on wheels. The NX somehow came out more pleasant to the eye, the lines flow better. RX, which is their bread and butter, is overdone. Too bad the face lift is years away.
Old 06-04-16, 03:59 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
It's not just the front, the whole car looks like the Star Wars ship on wheels. The NX somehow came out more pleasant to the eye, the lines flow better. RX, which is their bread and butter, is overdone. Too bad the face lift is years away.
Well they went from one extreme to the another. Previous RX was the most directionless, laziest design ever to be featured on one Lexus. I know people who refused to upgrade from second gen. And then we have this piece which is certainly polarizing with some questionable details like taillights and body lines.
Old 06-05-16, 07:20 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well they went from one extreme to the another. Previous RX was the most directionless, laziest design ever to be featured on one Lexus. I know people who refused to upgrade from second gen. And then we have this piece which is certainly polarizing with some questionable details like taillights and body lines.
I agree. I live in a small neighborhood and most residents drive choice vehicles. Till a few years back I used to see quite a few Lexus products but since then the numbers have declined radically. My informal poll at social events overwhelming concludes the negative acceptance of the "cheese grate" looks. Since 2001 we were a four Lexus car family (replacement every 3-4 yrs) to zero in 2010, that is a very different story.
Old 06-05-16, 08:13 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kind of surprising LS sales went up, whereas other newer introductions went down, especially as this generation winds down. The only conclusion I can draw is that there really is no conclusion to draw from monthly data, outside of the the larger averages and trends.

The hoover vacuum grill definitely weighs on people in my opinion. I've grown to like it, but, versus the likes of Audis, for example, who has very clean lines, Lexus is purposely polarizing simply because so many people thought their cars were boring in the past. Too much of a good thing?

In any case, I read reports where the new A5/S5 looks bland and boring, so no matter which way you slice, you can't please everyone. Maybe they'll make a vacuum grill in the future to break that "boring" mold.

Personally and selfishly, I like the fact that I don't see many newer Lexus' out there: the indignity of having to sit in the stoplight next to an identical car, lol JK, which goes back to my shock at the higher LS sales (dammit). I saw four BMWs, all in front of me at the same stoplight. Three 3 series and a 5, all late models, two blacks, one white and one silver. I watched uncomfortable glances between the first two drivers.
Old 06-05-16, 12:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
That is interesting. As someone who has owned three generations of RX, I have to say the 3rd gen is my favorite and doesn't look dated to me yet. Its very understated and elegant in my eyes. The new one is not pretty or elegant, but is certainly striking. Sales numbers seem unflappable

Quick Reply: May 2016 Sales Thread