Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking at a new car...

Old 05-25-16, 12:48 PM
jdicicco7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a new car...

If money weren't an issue what would you choose for a newer car?

I have long been wanting an Audi since I was a kid, my GF drive an allroad, and I am considering the A3 Sportback.

I also have looked into a Lexus ct200h for a nice hatchback as well.

Or should I be a little more pragmatic and get a Subaru Impreza Wagon?

I can get all of these cars a few years old, just out of lease... 2012-2014 for under $25k, most with less than 50k miles on them.

I know Audi are always the first knock on maintenance costs and reliability issues. I know Lexus is a nicer Toyota with a different badge, and almost the same for a Subaru.. I current own a 2008 Subaru Impreza and has done me ok for the past 3 years.

I am going to test drive the Audi a3, Lexus CT200h, and MB GLK350 tomorrow.

I imagine that I will probably opt for the lex as it will be a more practical choice of luxury. Being Japanese, maintenance will be less, fuel economy is better and I get the luxury badge.

The Audi will have more power and probably better handling, also awd. Having awd in NH is almost a must, but I've done with it before.

I guess I could always just go for a newer Subaru Impreza...

Thoughts?
Old 05-25-16, 02:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go for a used WRX, I know new they're a bit more in the 26-30k range. The new model is kind of a letdown in that they don't offer a wagon and the sedan looks like a Corolla, Camry, or any other sort of generic car.

I'd avoid a used Audi or VW product. I used to like their diesels because they were much more reliable than the 1.8 turbo 4 cylinder motor, but now is a bad time to buy a diesel VW until we learn the full fallout from the emissions scandal.

If you want to stay in the Lexus family, I'd avoid the CT200h, its basically a Prius in a tuxedo. I'd look for a GS350 AWD, RX350 AWD, or IS350 AWD. Avoid the IS250, 100 less horsepower than the larger engined 350, same gas mileage, and the 250 has a history of serious engine problems that may not be covered after warranty. To get to that 20-25k price point you will be looking at a little bit older or higher mileage cars, but generally(IS250 is the exception) the whole Lexus lineup is cheap to service(go to a Toyota dealer for oil changes) and very reliable
Old 05-25-16, 02:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For whatever it's worth, Audi topped the Consumer Reports reliability ratings this year. They've come a long way.
Old 05-25-16, 03:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
For whatever it's worth, Audi topped the Consumer Reports reliability ratings this year. They've come a long way.
This is incorrect. They topped their "Best Cars" ranking which took in multiple factors including reliability but not strictly reliability. They only achieved a "better than average" on reliability. Their other scores such as road test contributed to their #1 ranking. The "Best" reliability score was with Lexus.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...best-vehicles/
Old 05-25-16, 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jdicicco7
If money weren't an issue what would you choose for a newer car?
perhaps that's a bit too open-ended given the rest of your post.

if money weren't an issue i'd probably have an lx570 for cruising/comfort/people/stuff, and an audi r8, or lexus lfa or new acura nsx for fun.

anyway, back to reality... if i was in NH and had to have one vehicle, i'd have an awd small-mid suv - loads of great ones to choose from. my jeep grand cherokee would be a good choice, but that's prob out of your budget range.
Old 05-25-16, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Actually, Audi was rated as the top brand overall considering Road Test Scores, Predicted Reliability and % Recommended Tested Models.

For reliability only the Lexus brand was a notch above Audi. A good showing by the brand though.
Old 05-25-16, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

The gas A3 is certainly a nice choice......and Audi products, according to Consumer Reports, have in fact become significantly more reliable recently. The CT200h is reliable and well-built, but does not have typical Lexus refinement in its road manners...it exhibits road noise and a stiff ride, and its rather low-stance makes it somewhat difficult to get in and out of. I'd avoid a diesel A3 right now for obvious reasons (in fact, new diesels may still be on an official a sales-hold), and VWs in general because of their questionable build-quality. The Impreza has a superb AWD system (arguably the best car-based AWD system in the industry), but the CVT transmissions may not have been perfected, and many smaller non-turbo Subaru four-cylinders have a history of engine issues, from head-gaskets to higher-than-average oil consumption from defective piston rings.

I'd also look at two other choices in this size/price range......the Buick Verano and the Acura ILX. The Verano offers solid construction and hardware from its German Opel Astra roots (though an American GM drivetrain), average-to-excellent reliability depending on the year, extensive sound insertion, and the library-quiet ride of a luxury sedan except for some four-cylinder engine noise at revs and some tire/suspension noise over bumps from the 45-series tires. (I have a Verano myself and love it) The ILX has typical Honda/Acura build quality and the precise assembly of a Swiss Watch, and should end up quite reliable. But it is not as quiet or refined as the Verano, and IMO not as pleasant to drive. Its low sales figures should allow for good deals, as the dealerships will be eager to move them.

The Verano will probably not be replaced in the American market, as next year will be its final year (it's going to a China-only market, where, in Excelle form, it is currently the nation's best-selling vehicle). But parts and service should be offered in the Amrican market for some time yet.
Old 05-25-16, 04:04 PM
jdicicco7
Driver School Candidate

All very valid and good points.

I forgot to mention that I need to haul drums and and dogs, as well as a highway cruiser.

I make decently good money and the people who I am going to see tomorrow to try test the cars asked if I would consider the RX and would 'make it happen'.

I have two options, either go dealer certified route, or go to my guy who buys at auction and get a car out of lease for like 4k less than market value.
Old 05-25-16, 06:21 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not lease an IS300 AWD?
Old 05-25-16, 06:35 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

You are in NH so AWD is a big plus.

Do the Subaru

The CT shouldn't have a Lexus badge. The drive train has no umph, the interior is covered in cheap hard plastic and it is FWD.

Before you plunge into luxury brands be sure you are ok with the higher cost of basic maintenance
Old 05-25-16, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jdicicco7
All very valid and good points.

I forgot to mention that I need to haul drums and and dogs, as well as a highway cruiser
you need an suv.

since you're looking at used... maybe a 2014 rx?

I have two options, either go dealer certified route, or go to my guy who buys at auction and get a car out of lease for like 4k less than market value.
why would you do the cpo option if you can save so much with your 'guy'?
Old 05-25-16, 11:36 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A3 has gone a long way. But the price tag I say no

Preowned Q50 are really cheAp now too in the high 20s
Old 05-26-16, 05:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

"If money wasn't an issue"..... I would probably own a collection similar to either Jay Leno or Rick Hendrick..

There are just too many different types of vehicles that I like that if money wasn't an issue it would get out of hand real quick..
Old 05-26-16, 06:54 AM
jdicicco7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
You are in NH so AWD is a big plus.

Do the Subaru

The CT shouldn't have a Lexus badge. The drive train has no umph, the interior is covered in cheap hard plastic and it is FWD.

Before you plunge into luxury brands be sure you are ok with the higher cost of basic maintenance
100% agree with you. I looked at a 2014 impreza wagon but I was turned off by the cvt.
Old 05-26-16, 05:52 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback AWD

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=141052713

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a new car...