Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend: 2016 Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Lincoln MKX Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Motor Trend: 2016 Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Lincoln MKX Comparison

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...kx-comparison/

A Taste of the Popular Midsize Luxury Crossover Offerings

our friends call you up and say, “We’ve got an extra couple of spots on the Wine Wagon vineyard tour in Temecula next weekend. Want to drive down from L.A. and meet us there?” What to drive? The same old sedan you use for commuting? No, you want something with plenty of style and space for a weekend’s worth of leisure gear, perhaps a set of clubs, and a case or two of your new favorite varietal. These are some of the reasons to choose a luxury crossover, but which one?

We gathered three likely 2016 midsize candidates: the redesigned Lexus RX 350 F Sport, the very originator of the segment itself and the first winner of MT’s SUV of the Year; the Lincoln MKX, a finalist in our 2016 SUV of the Year contest; and an all-new Mercedes-Benz GLC300 that replaces the boxy (and smaller) GLK-Class with handsome styling and a generous helping of the celebrated C-Class sedan’s hardware, interior treatment, and tech.

All three of our wine-weekend warriors were ordered with all-wheel drive, Sport packages where applicable, premium infotainment systems, and a bevy of safety equipment. First we took them to the track for hard numbers. We then made the long drive from L.A. to the new Southern California wine country. Finally, we drove each on a demanding 65-mile evaluation loop that included a multitude of surfaces, elevation changes, twisting roads, and a four-lane highway. Here’s what we learned....

Last edited by Allen K; 05-26-16 at 01:42 PM. Reason: just cleaned up the thread title a little
Old 05-25-16, 01:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Am I reading this correctly, they compared a GLC to the RX and MKX???? Wrong size guys, you need a GLE..
Old 05-25-16, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It was an odd test/comparison. Especially where they complained that the F Sport RX does not have an adjustable suspension...

Both the Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz featured self-adjusting and driver-selectable suspensions, and on our rotations among the three, only one thing was unanimous: The Lexus RX 350 F Sport got it wrong. Without the option of a more intelligent suspension and with soft springs and conventional dampers, the RX 350’s ride oscillated between pillowy soft and jarring when abrupt seams or bumps met the tires. Meanwhile, the MKX and GLC300 minimized impact harshness while providing a smooth ride; the Lincoln provided a more isolated road feel than the Mercedes, which felt equally sophisticated but better planted. Also, these two could be switched to a firmer setting at the press of a button, something the Lexus was unable to do.
Old 05-25-16, 01:52 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't like this comparison. The GLC is definitely the best of the group, but to place the poorly-built Lincoln over the new RX is asinine. Side-by-side there is no comparison, the Lexus is superior.
Old 05-25-16, 01:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Am I reading this correctly, they compared a GLC to the RX and MKX???? Wrong size guys, you need a GLE..
If you look at the dimensions, the Benz GLC is about 9" shorter, same height and 3" narrower than the RX. If you look at the interior dimensions, the Benz GLC is almost identical in rear cargo room, rear leg, and rear head room. The Lexus is a bit roomier than the GLC in the front seat, but otherwise they're the same size inside despite the Benz being smaller on the outside.

As for the new RX, I honestly think its a rare swing and a miss by Lexus. No 3rd row seat, the interior design doesn't look as nearly as good as the interior on the IS, GS, and LS sedans IMO, and personally I think the exterior styling is ridiculous, the big spindle grill doesn't really work on the SUV's IMO like it does on the sedans and I hate that rear window/d pillar treatment.
Old 05-25-16, 02:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The GLC has a lower, narrower, and considerably shorter cabin than the RX.
The RX F Sport makes that much more tire noise.
Should have been a GLE vs a conventional RX350, else a GLC vs a conventional NX.
Old 05-25-16, 02:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you look at the dimensions, the Benz GLC is about 9" shorter, same height and 3" narrower than the RX. If you look at the interior dimensions, the Benz GLC is almost identical in rear cargo room, rear leg, and rear head room. The Lexus is a bit roomier than the GLC in the front seat, but otherwise they're the same size inside despite the Benz being smaller on the outside.

As for the new RX, I honestly think its a rare swing and a miss by Lexus. No 3rd row seat, the interior design doesn't look as nearly as good as the interior on the IS, GS, and LS sedans IMO, and personally I think the exterior styling is ridiculous, the big spindle grill doesn't really work on the SUV's IMO like it does on the sedans and I hate that rear window/d pillar treatment.
Rear cargo is larger on the Benz. Everything else the RX beats in size.

RX really shows how much car you get for the money

(Lexus, Lincoln, Benz)

Old 05-25-16, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

CR recently rated the MKX higher than the RX (and others) in a Road Test. With Predicted Reliability factored in, the Lincoln dropped below the Lexus.

Interesting that the GLC, the smallest in the group, has the longest wheelbase.
Old 05-25-16, 03:13 PM
Hoovey689

I really like the 2.7L EcoBoost. It's too bad the performance potential is hampered by the weight. If Ford gave the MKX some more aluminum they could drop some of that mass (4,640lbs). Upgrade the 6A in favor of an 8+ speed auto and fuel efficiency could also climb marginally higher and maybe quicker shifts. Lincoln is on to something nonetheless, it just needs more refinement.
Old 05-25-16, 03:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good article - reasonable ranking conclusion based on their criteria.

this was particularly damning on the rx "f-sport" handling:
When we drove the trio through bends, some with mid-corner dips, the Lexus RX 350 F Sport proved sporty in name only, as it completely lost its composure. It rolled unnecessarily, lost its line in corners that weren’t absolutely pristine, and the steering, though weighted nicely, felt disconnected from the front tires.
Old 05-25-16, 03:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) At first I too was scratching my head, but then I realize that this combo is getting more popular. TFL car has a similar review and a lot singular reviews tend to pit the RX against smaller nameplates as well as bigger ones.

2) The dampening part is a WTF? I understand that its no magnetic ride control or something like airmatic but still passive systems that change the dampers are still considered adaptive nonetheless. Heck the GLC comes standard with the same system (but unchangeable). However if the issue is the feel of the adaptive suspension isnt much to write home about then their point is valid I guess.

3) The current RX is a midsize SUV and has about the same interior space as a GX460. But traditionally its been smaller and that smaller image was hard to pin point what space it was competing in. The 15 and before generation was midway between a compact and mid size SUV. For instance one can walk into any dealership from Acura to Volvo and precisely figure which model is a midsize which is their compact.
Acura: S: RDX M: MDX
Audi : S Q5 M: Q7
BMW s X3 M X5
MB s GLC M GLE
Volvo XC60 XC90

Nowdays its a bit easier, since you have an NX, but it still harder then other automakers. who make their cars very apparent in sizing.

4) Infotainment: Well nothing we already dont know. New big screen, running Windows XP in graphics

5) Powertrain: Engine DIg, but I`d say their on point and that is the price you pay for reliability. Suprising, the transmission test behavior was opposite of what everyone has come to on the Forums. Usually the complaint has been that the tranny is very eager to slip up to high gear so you have to be on the throttle to be on the sweet spot, whereas the Testers found the transmission to be normal most of the time, and hated it when your pushing it to its paces.

6) Interior materials wells it is a Lexus right?

Overall a couple of pitfalls, truths, and opinions. Good automotive review
Old 05-25-16, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder why they didn't include the Cadillac XT5 in the test, or if one was available in time...the article doesn't say.
Old 05-25-16, 05:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wonder why they didn't include the Cadillac XT5 in the test, or if one was available in time...the article doesn't say.
They mentioned why at the bottom
Old 05-25-16, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
They mentioned why at the bottom
Thanks...that explains it. I didn't see it at first in the OP, but that's because the entire article wasn't posted.
Old 05-25-16, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I didn't like this comparison. The GLC is definitely the best of the group, but to place the poorly-built Lincoln over the new RX is asinine. Side-by-side there is no comparison, the Lexus is superior.
I did full-reviews on the new RX and both the MKC and MKX. I agree that the MKX is not quite as well-built, overall, as the RX, but, overall, is more solidly screwed-together than lis little-brother MKC...one reason why I have not bought or leased an MKC, despite the fact that I basically like it. But the MKX's interior trim, IMO, is just as good as that of the RX, with some high-quality materials, and both are impressive on the road, with excellent driving manners.

Overall, there is much more of a quality gap between the MKC and Lexus's smaller NX (which I've also reviewed, and goes head to head with the MKC) than between the larger RX and MKX.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: 2016 Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Lincoln MKX Comparison