Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2017 Ford Fusion

It's the moment we all dread. That time when you look around the room and realize you're the oldest guy there. The people those youngsters are talking about aren't just non-celebrities to you, they're deeply uninteresting. You've started to appreciate that your parents were right about a lot of things. Your kids talk back to you, and they find your retorts kind of lame. You're middle age.

If you're a human, middle age dread is best fought by renewing one's commitment to not giving a damn. But when a car gets paunchy after three or four years in the market, the only answer is the mid-cycle refresh. And the second-generation Ford Fusion, now age four (52 in car years), has gone under the surgeon's knife for 2017. Look at it. It seems somewhat younger, doesn't it? You know, like Meg Ryan after a skin peel.

It's tough to remember all the way back to the 2012 Detroit Auto Show when the current Fusion made its debut. Built upon Ford's CD4 architecture, the second Fusion had a sleek fastback shape that replaced the dowdy first Fusion. Its face was very Aston Martin looking, which was ironic because Ford's divestment of that brand was still fresh in many minds. But the CD4 Fusion was an enormous hit. During 2015 Ford pushed out 255,143 of them making it the company's best selling car and the sixth best selling car from any manufacturer. The big goal for Ford on this refresh is: Don't. Screw. It. Up.

And it hasn't.

Most of the substance from the 2013 Fusion returns intact for 2017. The basic body shell hasn't been touched and most of the interior pieces are more-or-less familiar. The superficial changes include a tweaked grille with different textures depending on trim, new LED headlights on higher line models, and of course new wheels. Inside the forward storage bin has taller sides to hold things in more securely, the center arm rest is a bit longer, and the driver's dead pedal has been reshaped. There's nothing radical in all that.

One prominent functional change is the move from a conventional shifter to a Jaguar-like rotary dial. This new dial sits directly in front of the electronic parking brake on the center console where the old shifter once sat. The new dial works fine, but its position in center console is a compromise. In cars and trucks where such a shifter is native – in particular Chrysler products – the dial is often positioned up on the dash so that the real estate between the seats can be freed up for additional storage. The assumption here is that the rotary shifter will be part of a lot of future Fords and will be positioned more advantageously in those products.

That in mind, the new shifter did open up enough space in the console for larger cupholders. And that's an important consideration in a world where the Bladder Buster cups we all use demand accommodation. So bravo Ford. Bravo.

The names of the various trim levels have been reimagined for the 2017 Fusion too. The base model is still the "S" powered by the lackluster 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four rated at 175 horsepower. Expect to see this trim Fusion mostly wearing municipal seals on its doors and running errands for low level bureaucrats. The SE will be the mainstream model and available with either the 2.5 four or Ford's EcoBoost 1.5-liter or 2.0-liter turbo fours. The sort-of luxurious Titanium gets the 245-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo four standard. And the ritzy Platinum is the Titanium model with more stuff stuffed in. All these models use a standard six-speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels.

An all-wheel drive system is optional on some Fusion models. None of the vehicles I drove at the press event were so equipped. Plus it was in sunny Southern California and the only way to test it would have meant driving on the beach.

Not yet available is the new Fusion Sport which goes rocket ship with a turbocharged 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 rated at 325 horsepower rocking through an all-wheel drive system. This one has the potential to be the very quickest Ford four-door yet built. But it won't be here until later this summer.

Ford didn't have any models powered by the 2.5-liter four on hand, but I'm pretty confident that it'd kind of suck. Its fuel mileage is EPA rated at 21 in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.

The 1.5-liter turbo four is a $900 option and its rated at 181 horsepower. But its big advantages over the 2.5 is that it delivers better EPA-rated fuel mileage (23 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway) and a nicely flat torque curve that makes it easy to live with around town. Climbing into the Santa Monica Mountains, the 1.5 will eventually feel strained, but it's a decent compromise for most buyers. New for 2017, the 1.5 now comes with a standard start-stop feature that shuts off the engine whenever the car comes to a complete stop. It's not a particularly obnoxious system as these sorts of things go, but if you're sensitive to the starter's whir, well, it can drive you nuts.

The 2.0-liter turbo four does a fantastic job of imitating the V6s used in competitors like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Rated at 240-horsepower, it's very smooth for a four and its torque delivery is generous. It's the secret weapon in the Fusion arsenal. And it's rated at 21 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.

It's tough to get excited about a mid-cycle refresh. But the updates to the Fusion are worthwhile with just enough novelty to keep those owners coming out of the three-years leases on a 2014 Fusion signing up for another hitch in a 2017 model. This is a sweet natured, easygoing car with a good ride, decent handling and an interior that's easy to like. Just the sort of mainstream appliance that buyers keep buying, even if enthusiasts are mystified by the lack of compelling content.

Fusion prices for 2017 start at around $23,000 after the usual $875 destination charge extortion, with nicely equipped models still comfortably under $30,000. The high-end conventional model, the Fusion Platinum, starts at $37,495. Hybrid models can crest at more than $40K.
Source
Old 05-20-16, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

IMO, those rotary-shifters s**k. I've had review-experience with them in Chrysler and Jaguar products....haven't seen one I like yet. In most cases, I'll take a conventional console or column-shifter any day of the week....as long as it's not a BMW-type electronic one.
Old 05-21-16, 09:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree about those shifters. Used one on a new RAM and did not like it.
Old 05-22-16, 10:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually like the rotary shifter, it makes a nice "click" when you engage different gears. Its a lot better than that POS lever with no detents that the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and some Audis use.

The rotary thing is also a lot better than that stupid electronic windshield washer stalk Mercedes calls a shifter. Push the park button on a benz in a hurry, it won't give you park, you think the car is in park until it rolls forward when you take your foot off the brake. Same thing with that stupid "Park" button on BMW's.
Old 05-23-16, 10:36 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There have been several negative comments in other reviews about the Lincoln pushbuttons. I personally prefer them to the rotary *****, Chrysler/Jeep shifter, and the silly shift system in the new Hondas. In addition, they free up more console space than the other systems.
Steve
Old 05-23-16, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I actually like the rotary shifter, it makes a nice "click" when you engage different gears. Its a lot better than that POS lever with no detents that the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and some Audis use.

The rotary thing is also a lot better than that stupid electronic windshield washer stalk Mercedes calls a shifter. Push the park button on a benz in a hurry, it won't give you park, you think the car is in park until it rolls forward when you take your foot off the brake. Same thing with that stupid "Park" button on BMW's.
I'll agree that the stub-levers on some Mercedes and BMW products are awful. If my memory is correct, they first appeared on the Chris-Bangle-vintage BMW 7-series, along with the I-Drive and Bangle-Butt trunk lid.
Old 05-23-16, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

What POS lever with no detents in Audis are you referring to? I have no issues with the shifter in my S5.

Back to topic, the Fusion looks good. Looks like they are stealing from Aston and Jaguar now. Good for them!
Old 05-24-16, 03:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
What POS lever with no detents in Audis are you referring to? I have no issues with the shifter in my S5.

Back to topic, the Fusion looks good. Looks like they are stealing from Aston and Jaguar now. Good for them!
I think they use that shifter in the A8, it looks like the throttle control on an airplane. Its all electronic, no mechanical parts like the gearshift lever in some other Audis.

Getting back on topic, I've always liked the Fusion since the 2013 redesign. Its IMO a great looking car and feels well built. Its a lot more compelling than anything GM, Chrysler, or Toyota sells at that price/size point.

Last edited by Aron9000; 05-24-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2

Doesn't look much different from the existing one (which, I agree, also looks good).
And, BTW, Ford has been using Aston-style grilles now for some time....that's not exactly new.
Old 05-24-16, 03:52 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I absolutely HATE electronic shifters.... that is all.
Old 05-24-16, 04:45 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Fusion has a nice arsenal of powertrains; 2.5L, 1.5T, 2.0T, and 2.7T V6

More importantly it offers AWD something only the Legacy can relate too in this segment.
Old 05-24-16, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Fusion has a nice arsenal of powertrains; 2.5L, 1.5T, 2.0T, and 2.7T V6

More importantly it offers AWD something only the Legacy can relate too in this segment.
The Buick Regal also offers AWD. It is in this segment size-wise, but, of course, top-end versions cost significantly more.
Old 05-24-16, 06:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't look much different from the existing one (which, I agree, also looks good).
And, BTW, Ford has been using Aston-style grilles now for some time....that's not exactly new.
Yes, I meant they are stealing from Jaguar now as well as Aston.
Old 05-26-16, 02:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Buick Regal also offers AWD. It is in this segment size-wise, but, of course, top-end versions cost significantly more.
I would not classify the Regal as being in the Fusion segment. Price overlap means nothing. The BMW 3-Series has price overlap with the Camry; that doesn't put them in the same segment. If you are using that logic, a Mini Cooper Countryman is in the same segment as the Regal.
Old 05-26-16, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Energi Quick Spin

Alongside updates to the conventionally powered Fusion for 2017, Ford has tweaked up some evolutionary plucks for the Hybrid and Energi plug-in versions. At a time when gas is down under three dollars a gallon even in California – and under two bucks in places like Oklahoma – selling hybrids isn't a straightforward value proposition. There has to be a reason beyond mere fuel economy and the changes in the hybrid Fusions are aimed at making them more attractive as cars and not just as hybrids.

Yeah, they're better. But they're still pretty much the same electrified Fusion twins. And they're facing fresh competition in the form of the revivified Chevy Volt and redesigned Toyota Prius.
Driving Notes
  • Like other Fusions, the Hybrid and Energi get a new rotary transmission controller. It's a nudge away from car and toward the Whirlpool family of fine appliances.
  • Both the Hybrid and Energi use a continuously variable transmission that's better programmed than before. But while it's better, when the internal combustion engines are humming they're really HUMMMMING.
  • Embedded in the dash is an "EcoGuide" system to "coach" drivers in real time to get better fuel economy. It glows a benevolent green and grows additional leaves on its virtual trees. The temptation though is to drive so anti-fuel-economy that the leaves fall off and the tree bursts into flames.
  • The Fusion Energi will, according to Ford, go up to 19 miles on electricity alone before engaging the 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle four. But that range is highly conditional on driving conditions. And climbing through the Santa Monica mountains, I was able to drain the batteries in under 10 miles. The engine will come on earlier than that if the car is climbing or otherwise under load. Fuel-economy ratings are the same on both models and the same as before, at 43 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway; the Energi has MPGe ratings of 101 city and 97 highway.
  • Software improvements have the regenerative braking systems in both the Hybrid and Energi operating more invisibly. At least I think they were working.
  • Both the Hybrid and the Energi weigh more than other Fusions and that weight can be felt. The steering is heavier and the suspension is less responsive. It's better than in previous Ford hybrids, but still a real, leaden thing.
  • Ford is pushing its Sync 3 infotainment system as significantly improved and more phone-like than before. And it is all those things. But it's tough to get excited about technology that will be archaic before the lease is up.

The Fusion Hybrid S starts at $26,060, which is just about $3,000 more than a regular old Fusion S. The Energi, which is offered in SE trim and above, starts at $31,995 but gets the benefit of more government incentives thanks to the plug. Either way, that's a big premium over the regular Fusion.

Source

Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Fusion