Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Warranty on Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 09:30 AM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty on Window Regulator

Thinking of buying a 2013 IS350, 36Kmiles, 17 months left on 50K warranty -- I would be its third owner. Vehicle has a glitchy front window regulator that causes some catching and wobbling. Is this something that would be covered under the original 48/50 manufacturer's warranty?

Thanks for sharing any information/experience.
Old 05-20-16, 04:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Digmymojo
Thinking of buying a 2013 IS350, 36Kmiles, 17 months left on 50K warranty -- I would be its third owner. Vehicle has a glitchy front window regulator that causes some catching and wobbling. Is this something that would be covered under the original 48/50 manufacturer's warranty?

This should be covered by the factory warranty, you pay $0. Take it in and get it fixed RIGHT NOW, as I've heard of window regulators in some cars jamming/breaking will cause the glass to fall down into the door where you can't get it back up, or it will shatter the glass in the door when the window is down.
Old 05-20-16, 08:21 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This should be covered by the factory warranty, you pay $0. Take it in and get it fixed RIGHT NOW, as I've heard of window regulators in some cars jamming/breaking will cause the glass to fall down into the door where you can't get it back up, or it will shatter the glass in the door when the window is down.

Thanks for the reply.

Haven't bought it yet, but even if I'm the third owner, and the car hasn't been serviced at a Lexus dealer, the warranty would cover this?
Old 05-27-16, 10:04 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is covered under the 4 years/50,000 miles warranty, unless there are any signs of anyone else tampering with it, such as having the window tint installed or removed improperly.
Old 05-28-16, 12:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Have the current owner take care of this (covered under original warranty anyway) before the sale. No reason to delay this until after the sale.

Thanks for the reply.

Haven't bought it yet, but even if I'm the third owner, and the car hasn't been serviced at a Lexus dealer, the warranty would cover this?
Original Lexus warranty transfers. The only Lexus warranty that doesn't transfer is any CPO warranty. I think even Lexus ESPs transfer but may have a fee. Third party warranties may transfer, of course depending on the terms.
Old 05-29-16, 04:02 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gengar
Have the current owner take care of this (covered under original warranty anyway) before the sale. No reason to delay this until after the sale.

Yeah, not sure why the dealer -- Hiester Chevy -- didn't address it before listing the vehicle. Guess they hoped nobody would notice until delivery. I found out about it through a third-party inspection I'd arranged.

Original Lexus warranty transfers. The only Lexus warranty that doesn't transfer is any CPO warranty. I think even Lexus ESPs transfer but may have a fee. Third party warranties may transfer, of course depending on the terms.
Interesting about the CPO warranty -- so if I buy a CPO vehicle, then decide to sell before the CPO warranty expires, I lose that selling point altogether.

Thanks for the input.