Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Uber/Lyft driving experiences in the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 07:44 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default My Uber/Lyft driving experiences in the LS460

So...out of social curiosity and a lot of free time (along with permission from the missus), I started driving for both Uber & Lyft with my 2010 LS460 about 3 weeks ago.

All in all, everyone likes the car. I've fit a bunch of frat boys, a bachelorette party, businessmen going to & fro airports, passed out drunks, prom dates and no horror stories to tell! LS460 handles well in the streets of downtown Dallas. Common comments include:
- This is cool
- Wow it is really comfortable
- Didn't know there was this much space on the inside
- I'm now considering to buying one
- It's so quiet

Only slight issues I've had thus far...many don't even know what a LS460 is (which is problematic since I'm waiting for them/picking them up, they won't know what car to go to) and less than ideal gas mileage in premium gas while idling a lot...

All in all, a great experience and really like the LS doing this. I only work on weekend prime-hours (7pm-3am), been averaging ~$20/hour before expenses such as gas, tolls or mileage depreciation. That is pure average, I've had a silent 2 hours before and I've had 5 rides in an hour before so I bring a book to keep me occupied.

BTW for a little shameless plug, for those of you considering to drive with Uber/Lyft for a little pocket change, let me refer you....gets you up to a $750 bonus when you sign up, depending on which city you are in. This post isn't trying to advocate ridesharing, purely a reflection on my personal experience in my Lexus...

Last edited by Wandl; 05-19-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 07:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Very interesting observations on so many levels. You are a brave soul, letting strangers ride in your LS. Glad to hear there have been no "incidents".

Re: working for Uber, I don't think many customers would like to ride in the back of my car.

BTW, I'm also in Dallas. I may meet you the next time I need to go to the airport.
Old 05-19-16, 07:56 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Uber Black?
Old 05-19-16, 08:10 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Uber Black?
Can't - UberBlack requires my car to be actually black (it is grey), and requires commercial insurance, which I'm not prepared to do since I am doing this very sporadically. Lucky to get UberSelect but mostly I get Uber X rates..
Old 05-19-16, 08:27 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Can't - UberBlack requires my car to be actually black (it is grey), and requires commercial insurance, which I'm not prepared to do since I am doing this very sporadically. Lucky to get UberSelect but mostly I get Uber X rates..
Oh I see.

If one were doing it full time though the upgrade seems like it'd be worth it. Our ride from HNL into Waikiki on Uber Black was $65 last year.
Old 05-19-16, 08:36 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I use Uber a fair amount and actually feel it is so cheap as to be hurting the drivers.

We went from the Newark Airport to some NJ suburb and the whole ride was like $16 and took like 35 minutes. Considering gas and the other costs to the driver you mentioned, the consumer is winning, but I don't see the win for the driver.

Uber Share seems even crazier. You can get a ride in Chicago for like $3.50. No point in taking the bus for the consumer but the driver is bouncing around place to place. And then if one of the passenger doesn't come out of their apartment to take the ride, no fare.
Old 05-19-16, 11:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

How did this impact your auto insurance? I recently renewed a policy and AAA had plenty of exclusions for use as a taxi/limo/for hire use. I don't know anybody that does Uber type driving to ask them.
Old 05-20-16, 02:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
How did this impact your auto insurance? I recently renewed a policy and AAA had plenty of exclusions for use as a taxi/limo/for hire use. I don't know anybody that does Uber type driving to ask them.
I was thinking about doing uber last year, had a line on a Toyota Avalon I could have bought for CHEAP. Called my insurance agent 3 times asking about insurance for doing Uber. Each time they acted like I was asking them for something impossible and that they'd call me back later with some more info and a quote. This is from the same local insurance broker I had been using for the past 10+ years. Needless to say after this I shopped around for insurance and I am now with Geico, exact same coverage for $350 instead of $600 every six months.

Decided I didn't want to drive a taxi with drunk *******s in it after all.
Old 05-20-16, 09:52 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

For my personal auto insurance, it was un-affected. Most carriers now have a "ride-share" policy (I think Farmers and Geico specifically have this) but Uber/Lyft also has coverage when a driver has his app searching for rides. Again, still early days, so who knows if my insurance company changes their mind....
Old 05-20-16, 10:06 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

very interesting indeed. I have often thought that leasing a car for $99/month like a civic or something is actually possible, provided you pay for the extra mileage. But still, easy way to make a quick buck on the side.
Old 05-20-16, 02:43 PM
yllwneck86
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Uber has a leasing program called Xchange. You can choose between 31 models from 8 different manufactures. The price of the weekly lease is different pending on which car you choose to drive for Uber. The requirement is that you put $250 down, you can not put more or less into the deposit The lease covers oil changes and tire rotations through the dealership that has been authorized for you to pick the car from.

At the time when I choose to lease a 2015 Ford Fusion SE through Xchange, I had 2 options for ride share insurance between Metromile and Farmers.

The extra pocket change was great until after the rate cuts. I was barely keeping my head above water after my deductions. I gave my car back to the dealership and lost my $250 deposit.
Old 05-20-16, 05:19 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 886 Likes on 614 Posts

I went to Palaka Florida last week with the Atlanta Power Boat Club. There isn't a taxi service available, only a driver service. I'm not sure how it works down there, but we got the owner which has a few employees. With a 20+ minutes drive through multiple lights the charge was seven dollars. The guy is on call 24/7 for this kind of money

The driver was great and quick to show up every time we called him for dinner and drinks. I gave him $20 for every trip except for the night we dragged him to the grocery store and liquor store LOL, 40 bucks for that and I bought some flowers for his wife
Old 05-21-16, 05:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think part time Uber is great for people looking to meet up with different folks and chat, and not necessarily make a living.
Old 05-21-16, 01:08 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
I think part time Uber is great for people looking to meet up with different folks and chat, and not necessarily make a living.

Agree. There are some studies (I think by the rideshare company) that shows top drivers in Dallas (my area) can max out around $60k (gross, before depreciation, expenses, taxes)...drivers in California can go up to $90k.

However based on my personal experiences....I agree, it would be difficult to use this as a sole source of income given the current rates. Last night I drove to a Journey concert...42 minute ride due to traffic, $10.82 was my cut (think the total fare around $15). Wasn't happy...
Old 05-21-16, 04:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did uber in my IS... People were mostly surprised that I was doing it in a heavily modified Lexus haha

Quick Reply: My Uber/Lyft driving experiences in the LS460