Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Uber/Lyft driving experiences in the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 11:29 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Agree. There are some studies (I think by the rideshare company) that shows top drivers in Dallas (my area) can max out around $60k (gross, before depreciation, expenses, taxes)...drivers in California can go up to $90k.

However based on my personal experiences....I agree, it would be difficult to use this as a sole source of income given the current rates. Last night I drove to a Journey concert...42 minute ride due to traffic, $10.82 was my cut (think the total fare around $15). Wasn't happy...
the way to look at this is - would you be able to earn $10 in 42 minutes doing anything else at that time? If not, then you just got $10.82 richer. Otherwise your car would be parked in your driveway doing nothing.
Old 05-23-16, 01:26 PM
Silver09IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang I cant believe people dont know what the Lexus LS is
Old 05-23-16, 02:52 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are the craziest client's you've had to deal with?

One night the squad and I convinced an Uber driver to let me and a buddy ride in the trunk of his suv b/c the other guys took the 4 other seats. He wasn't happy. Good times.

Last edited by BrownPride; 05-23-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 02:56 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver09IS
Dang I cant believe people dont know what the Lexus LS is
Most people don't know anything about cars. People think my little IS250 is like $60,000 when in reality I got it for less than half that. They see the badge and LED lights and are amazed. In reality, it cost as much as a mid-level Accord thanks to 20K miles worth of depreciation.
Old 05-23-16, 03:23 PM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Who are the craziest client's you've had to deal with?

I had a pax who pinged me to pick up his angry mother in law and take her back to her house. He set the wrong pin location of where I was suppose to pick her up. By the time I picked her up, she started screaming at me about how inconsiderate of me to make her wait. She then indirectly called me a "stupid ****" and that she needs to spray paint her son's house number every where (mind you I picked her up at an apartment complex). While driving her to her house, she complained that my car smelled and that I was driving to slow; as if I was purposely trying to run up the meter on her. When I got to her house, she demanded that I pull into her drive way so she can walk around the back of my car to get to her front door. The ride only cost her $7.
Old 05-23-16, 06:30 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by yllwneck86
I had a pax who pinged me to pick up his angry mother in law and take her back to her house. He set the wrong pin location of where I was suppose to pick her up. By the time I picked her up, she started screaming at me about how inconsiderate of me to make her wait. She then indirectly called me a "stupid ****" and that she needs to spray paint her son's house number every where (mind you I picked her up at an apartment complex). While driving her to her house, she complained that my car smelled and that I was driving to slow; as if I was purposely trying to run up the meter on her. When I got to her house, she demanded that I pull into her drive way so she can walk around the back of my car to get to her front door. The ride only cost her $7.
This happened just this past Friday:
8pm - picked up a small contingent of bachelorette party girls who wanted an UberSelect so they can show a good time for the bride-to-be, a 60 year old never-married woman. I was taking them back to someone's house where the bridesmaid had arranged a sumo wrestling show as the main entertainment option.
1am - UberX ride...picked up a Hooters server from Hooters, who graduated high school recently, saving up for college (her words, not mine), and was going to a friend's house to party. On the way there, house party #1 got busted by the cops before we got there and she asked me to drive around while we found another venue. I plug in the new address, and that party gets closed down (noise complaint, she said) 5 minutes later. I ended up taking her through the drive-thru of a Whataburger (24 hour burger joint here in Dallas), then dropping her off at her place. Probably a good 50 minute drive driving to random locations.
4am - bars here in Dallas close at 2am so I'm usually done on weekends shuttling people back to their wherever's by 3am. Pick up a bunch of German girls who are headed to the airport, and headed home at this point. Left my Uber App on and get pinged halfway home...found the address curious, apparently picking up a stripper who finished her shift and headed home. Nothing weird happened, just random chit chat but she just had a big trench coat on. Gave me a couple of dollar bills as tips on the way out.

Nothing crazy weird happened yet....we'll see..hehe
Old 05-23-16, 06:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

What is the tip etiquette with Uber? I have only used it once and the driver seemed surprised with my tipping him to the point of refusal.
Old 05-23-16, 07:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Back in the day, Uber encouraged tipping while you rated the driver.

They have since adopted a screw the driver motif and the tip stuff does not pop up after your ride.

One of the positives from these services is not pulling out your wallet when you arrive, just hop out of the car.

We now would need to carry cash to tip the person or fumble around the app to find a tip page. My understanding is that Lyft is more encouraging of tipping.
Old 05-23-16, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

8pm - picked up a small contingent of bachelorette party girls who wanted an UberSelect so they can show a good time for the bride-to-be, a 60 year old never-married woman. I was taking them back to someone's house where the bridesmaid had arranged a sumo wrestling show as the main entertainment option.
1am - UberX ride...picked up a Hooters server from Hooters, who graduated high school recently, saving up for college (her words, not mine), and was going to a friend's house to party. On the way there, house party #1 got busted by the cops before we got there and she asked me to drive around while we found another venue. I plug in the new address, and that party gets closed down (noise complaint, she said) 5 minutes later. I ended up taking her through the drive-thru of a Whataburger (24 hour burger joint here in Dallas), then dropping her off at her place. Probably a good 50 minute drive driving to random locations.
4am - bars here in Dallas close at 2am so I'm usually done on weekends shuttling people back to their wherever's by 3am. Pick up a bunch of German girls who are headed to the airport, and headed home at this point. Left my Uber App on and get pinged halfway home...found the address curious, apparently picking up a stripper who finished her shift and headed home. Nothing weird happened, just random chit chat but she just had a big trench coat on. Gave me a couple of dollar bills as tips on the way out.

Sorry, but this is why I wouldn't sign up for Uber, even if I had a sedan. I'm in Dallas
Old 05-23-16, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Just out of curiosity how much did you make this very strange night? LOL
Old 05-23-16, 08:15 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

been averaging ~$20/hour before expenses such as gas, tolls or mileage depreciation.
Wow, that is a raw deal especially when you factor in the mileage depreciation. This is one of the reasons they are so busy recruiting all the time to replace all the turnover.

At least you'll have some good stories during your time as a driver haha

Last edited by Chocolate; 05-23-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 09:27 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You should try selling cars - anyone can do it and you make a lot more money.
Old 05-23-16, 11:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I really wouldn't what the wear and tear on my car. I truly believe this comes down to who cares about preserving their cars and who cares about making money.
Old 05-24-16, 09:02 AM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
What is the tip etiquette with Uber? I have only used it once and the driver seemed surprised with my tipping him to the point of refusal.

Uber used to tell riders that tipping is covered in the fare which was a lie. Uber also has a segment in their training video that covers on tipping. The advised drivers that if a rider wanted to tip you at the end of their trip, it is highly recommended to tell the rider that tipping is not necessary. But if the rider insists; go ahead and take it.
Old 05-24-16, 09:27 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I really wouldn't what the wear and tear on my car. I truly believe this comes down to who cares about preserving their cars and who cares about making money.
Uber was targeted for people who already have a vehicle, and needed to make some money, quickly. much like pizza delivery jobs. Folks who were hurt by the downturn, lost a job, still looking for a job, and do not want to lose their vehicle. It was about preserving their ownership of the vehicle, rather than being featured on the Repo Man

Quick Reply: My Uber/Lyft driving experiences in the LS460