Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 12:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, there's probably no such thing as an efficient gas, non-hybrid V8 SUV.
i meant space efficient as well as gas efficient.

one thing positive about the gx though, it really doesn't have any competition at its unique price / features combo.
Old 05-19-16, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one thing positive about the gx though, it really doesn't have any competition at its unique price / features combo.
The forgotten Land Rover LR4 compares well
Old 05-19-16, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I'll agree with Hoovey that the LR4 is probably closest from a purely price/features standpoint.....but no Land Rover product can (on average) even approach the GX's build-quality and reliability.
Old 05-19-16, 05:24 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own an LR4.... And I drive GXs pretty frequently. The LR4 is superior off road, but it's based on an older design.... I kind of like the feel of the LR4 better but the GX is more comfortable.

My LR4 is also as reliable as a stripper with a coke habit.
Old 05-20-16, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned full-reviews: 2017 Cadillac CT6, XT5, Lincoln Continental
Old 05-20-16, 06:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The GX has never rubbed me the right way.

Originally Posted by rld14
I own an LR4.... And I drive GXs pretty frequently. The LR4 is superior off road, but it's based on an older design.... I kind of like the feel of the LR4 better but the GX is more comfortable.

My LR4 is also as reliable as a stripper with a coke habit.
I love the LR4. What problems have you had with it? SC V6 or V8? Mostly software issues?
Old 05-20-16, 04:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never been a big fan of the GX for 2 reasons:

1. Not enough power, put the big 5.7 V8 from the Tundra and Land Cruiser in there. This wouldn't really be a big deal if the 4.6 V8 didn't drink gas, but yeah the fuel economy sucks and its slow.

2. That rear door is just awful. Not only does it open the wrong way, its awkward, doesn't like to stay open, gets in the way, especially if you're in a tight place like your garage at home.

As for Marshall's prediction that it might have bad resale because of a new 3 row crossover, I don't think that will matter at all. Its a Toyota truck, they always have great resale value, even 10-20 years down the road.
Old 05-20-16, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've never been a big fan of the GX for 2 reasons:

1. Not enough power, put the big 5.7 V8 from the Tundra and Land Cruiser in there. This wouldn't really be a big deal if the 4.6 V8 didn't drink gas, but yeah the fuel economy sucks and its slow.
There might not be room in the GX's smaller engine compartment for the bigger 5.7L.

2. That rear door is just awful. Not only does it open the wrong way, its awkward, doesn't like to stay open, gets in the way, especially if you're in a tight place like your garage at home.
Agreed. As I said before, either the engineers neglected to redo the hinges and handle for a left-hand drive market, or management prevented it because of cost-cutting.

As for Marshall's prediction that it might have bad resale because of a new 3 row crossover, I don't think that will matter at all. Its a Toyota truck, they always have great resale value, even 10-20 years down the road.
True, but my prediction was based on the traditional extra-depreciation that we see when vehicles are replaced by an all-new product. That applies, to some extent, even with Toyota trucks, though you are correct that Toyota trucks are, otherwise, usually not bad on the depreciation front.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 05:37 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The GX has never rubbed me the right way.

I love the LR4. What problems have you had with it? SC V6 or V8? Mostly software issues?
I'm probably being a bit harsh.

Usual Land Rover body hardware nonsense.. breaking door handles, rattles, etc. Surround camera issues, brake hydraulic issues (Master cylinder/booster went bad, ABS light from a bad speed sensor).

Few little electrical issues; window regulator, rattling speaker, etc.

It's the truck that won't go away. I got pissed off at it last year and tried selling it privately, only offers I got were less than wholesale so I sent it to the auction, it did blood money and I was happy

Until some idiot at the auction lost the title. By the time we realized this it was 11 days after the sale. By the time I had time to go and get a duplicate the car was returned. Screw it, I kept it.

The engine is the same 5.0L V8 in my beloved Jaguar XF and it's been perfect aside from a water pump leak. It has fuel economy similar to a Boeing as the LR4 has the aerodynamics of a brick and it weighs as much as a house.

If you can put up with their occasional annoyances Land Rovers are wonderful SUVs but they are not for people without a reasonable tolerance level for service costs and broken stuff.
Old 05-20-16, 05:39 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

True, but my prediction was based on the traditional extra-depreciation that we see when vehicles are replaced by an all-new product. That applies, to some extent, even with Toyota trucks, though you are correct that Toyota trucks are, otherwise, usually not bad on the depreciation front.
GX resale is incredibly strong. When the 460 replaced the 470 the 470s still brought huge $$. Much of it is still exporter-driven though.
Old 05-20-16, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GX resale is incredibly strong. When the 460 replaced the 470 the 470s still brought huge $$. Much of it is still exporter-driven though.
Well, we'll see. Still another year or more to go before the 3-row crossover SUV comes out. We'll know after that.
Old 05-20-16, 06:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

True but this would be eliminating an entire line not just a redesign. A better example I guess is to look at the FJ cruiser resale value.
Old 05-20-16, 07:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To me the GX is probably the most awful modern vehicle in its class. I cant believe they still make these clumsy behemoths in 2015 and the ugly looks, cheap cabin, antiquated navigation system, and awful rear door just add insult to the injury.
Old 05-20-16, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
To me the GX is probably the most awful modern vehicle in its class. I cant believe they still make these clumsy behemoths in 2015 and the ugly looks, cheap cabin, antiquated navigation system, and awful rear door just add insult to the injury.
Well, I'll admit the body style won't win any beauty contests, but that tall, boxy styling does have payoffs.....good interior space efficiency, ease of entry/exit, and plenty of both headroom and cargo space for tall objects. And this vehicle is far from a piece of junk.......it is solid and impeccably well-assembled, with excellent hardware and materials. I agree with you on the design of the rear door hinges/handle.....it IS bad, but it is unclear whether the engineers or management is at fault.
Old 05-21-16, 07:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I'll admit the body style won't win any beauty contests, but that tall, boxy styling does have payoffs.....good interior space efficiency, ease of entry/exit, and plenty of both headroom and cargo space for tall objects. And this vehicle is far from a piece of junk.......it is solid and impeccably well-assembled, with excellent hardware and materials. I agree with you on the design of the rear door hinges/handle.....it IS bad, but it is unclear whether the engineers or management is at fault.
Assembly is fine, which is expected for Toyotas (and pretty much everyone else these days) but materials scream Toyota. Painted silved plastic trim and fake wood look downright ugly, and the antiquated navigation system belongs in a 20k entry level vehicle.

I guess it does have a lot of interior room, but so do minivans. And most minivans are probably more involving to drive that the GX. It handles like a behemoth and sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX