Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser

Old 05-17-16, 03:54 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Exactly, even though the land cruiser might not look the flashiest or most luxurious, it is also a status symbol in many countries around the world.

The Land Cruiser is the vehicle of choice to carry UN dignitaries around war zones.
I have seen first hand how much abuse a 200 series Land Cruiser can take, not surprising because Toyota really tests these vehicles in the harshest of conditions and for very long periods of time, you add that with the experience they already have with building a incredibly durable, high quality and capable four wheel drive and the result is very impressive.

You can easily use it as a work vehicle, infact some versions in the middle east have 2 full size real spare tires + electric winch + (36 gallons) we get standard here, and a manual transmission on select versions. No other direct competitor offers all these options combined in one vehicle, not even the Nissan Patrol.

Thank you for the review MM

I think one album cover sums up the 200 series Land Cruiser lol . . .

Seriously though, if I won the lottery, I would buy a brand new Land Cruiser for a daily driver. It is simply the best made 4wd vehicle on the planet.

Last edited by Aron9000; 05-17-16 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 05:55 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Nice review. Unfortunately I just can't become a fan of the Land Cruiser. It's too expensive for what it is. Would much rather get a GL, RR, or LX for about the same or a little more. I can't see the justification behind a near-$90,000 Toyota.
Yeah, that's the difference between new money and wise money.
Old 05-17-16, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
The Land Cruiser is the vehicle of choice to carry UN dignitaries around war zones.
I have seen and experienced firsthand how much abuse a 200 series Land Cruiser can take, not surprising because Toyota really tests these vehicles in the harshest of conditions and for very long periods of time, you add that with the experience they already have with building a incredibly durable, high quality and capable four wheel drive and the result is very impressive.
Unfortunately, from what we've seen here in the media, it looks like the terrorists in that part of the world also depend on Toyota trucks/SUVs to get their members around, too.

Thank you for the review MM
Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 05-17-16, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Yeah, that's the difference between new money and wise money.
Look at the sales. Very few other people see the point of a near $90,000 Toyota either.
Old 05-17-16, 07:18 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Look at the sales. Very few other people see the point of a near $90,000 Toyota either.
The LC does just fine for it's intended market and audience. For US market, it may be just a nostalgic buy, for people who have the means, appreciate the quality and couldn't care less about the perception at the country club as they drive in.

The RR and GL are also the same type of buys in US and Europe. But, you see them on the trails, on the farms and as work horses in Asia, Africa and the middle east. You will never see an RR cloth seat here, but in Africa, not only is it common, but also not powered. People see these a working tools, that lasts and then some with the means, when they are here buy them fully loaded.

You see the same pattern with BMW's. In Europe, the 2 and 3 series can be bought stripped, and used as cabs, delivery vehicles and other work duties. Here, they are a nouveau riche status symbol.
Old 05-17-16, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats just a difference between American sensibilities about brand and european sensibilities about brand, and about carmaker's approaches to each market.

I know lots of people who are not "nouveau riche" that drive these "status symbols" too lol
Old 05-17-16, 07:28 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Thats just a difference between American sensibilities about brand and european sensibilities about brand, and about carmaker's approaches to each market.

I know lots of people who are not "nouveau riche" that drive these "status symbols" too lol
BMW North America championed the "lease a 325 for 325 a month", so you are right, they are not nouveau riche, they are working stiff status symbol.
Old 05-17-16, 07:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the review. Never driven a LC. Sat in one at the NY auto show and there is a marked difference in the level of opulence between it and the LX. Worth the price in my opinion. Also rode in my gf's uncles 1996(?) with the old straight six and that thing was quite comfortable too and still solid for such and old vehicle. Feels even more solid than my 2015 gs. If I ever win the lottery, the LX will get my money.
Old 05-17-16, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BMW North America championed the "lease a 325 for 325 a month", so you are right, they are not nouveau riche, they are working stiff status symbol.
Everybody has entry level models that they lease out at a lower price point. I'm not sure I understand your point.

My issue with the LC isn't only about brand. Quite frankly it's not a very nice vehicle IMHO, the inside feels like a $45,000 Toyota, it's no nicer inside than a loaded Highlander. The exterior styling isn't elegant. For $85,000 you can buy a vehicle that us a much better interior and more elegant styling, or for $10,000 more you can buy a Lexus LX that's the same vehicle but with that additional quality and style.

I can understand why people buy them in other parts of the world, where they are priced and optioned lower and their abilities are of value. But here? I'd never even consider one.
Old 05-17-16, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The LC does just fine for it's intended market and audience. For US market, it may be just a nostalgic buy, for people who have the means, appreciate the quality and couldn't care less about the perception at the country club as they drive in.

The RR and GL are also the same type of buys in US and Europe. But, you see them on the trails, on the farms and as work horses in Asia, Africa and the middle east. You will never see an RR cloth seat here, but in Africa, not only is it common, but also not powered. People see these a working tools, that lasts and then some with the means, when they are here buy them fully loaded.

You see the same pattern with BMW's. In Europe, the 2 and 3 series can be bought stripped, and used as cabs, delivery vehicles and other work duties. Here, they are a nouveau riche status symbol.
The Land Cruiser is a prestige vehicle in the United States. The LX570 is more luxurious and has the luxury name, but that doesn't mean the LC can't hold its own for prestige. The LC starting MSRP is higher than any other starting Lexus MSRP aside from the LX.

Outside of the US, the Land Cruiser is more popular and is perceived as more desirable than the Lexus version. I think there are some diesel models with the same 20 in rims and suspension as the LX that go for $125k US in some area.

I would take the LC over the LX. No remote touch and the front end does not look hideous.
Old 05-17-16, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LC is a prestige vehicle here among people who know what it is. 98% of people don't, and to them it's just a Toyota SUV. If you stopped people on the street and pointed to an LC and asked them what it cost, very very few people would say $80,000. All you have to do is hang out by one at a car show and watch people's reactions when they see the price.

If you point to an LX or RR you'll get a much larger % of people who will get close on price.

As for the front end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but IMHO the front of the refreshed LC is pretty hideous. I think the front of the new LX is a lot more attractive, and I'm not a universal spindle grill fan.
Old 05-17-16, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you stopped people on the street and pointed to an LC and asked them what it cost, very very few people would say $80,000. All you have to do is hang out by one at a car show and watch people's reactions when they see the price.
It's more or less the same way with the RR. Many people don't realize that they can easily run 100K or more. And, even at that price, in this D.C. area, RRs still fly off dealer lots.
Old 05-17-16, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's more or less the same way with the RR. Many people don't realize that they can easily run 100K or more. And, even at that price, in this D.C. area, RRs still fly off dealer lots.
I don't agree. I'm very confident that when asked on the street people would get closer to the actual price than they would when asked about a Land Cruiser.
Old 05-17-16, 05:26 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anyone is interested, full year 2014 sales figures for the lc + lx .

Land Cruiser 200 ( 121,500 )
Lexus LX 570 ( 28,600 )
Combined ( 150,100 )

No doubt sales will increase for 2016 after the refresh.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-17-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't agree. I'm very confident that when asked on the street people would get closer to the actual price than they would when asked about a Land Cruiser.
Have you tried asking any yourself? When I tell people today's RR costs over 100K loaded, the first reaction is something along the line of "Good Heavens" or "Amazing". Of course, to be honest, I don't get many serious inquiries from potential RR buyers....simply because most people who ask my advice don't have that kind of money to spend on a new vehicle, even on a lease.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-17-16 at 05:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser