Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't even consider a Land Cruiser. When you're paying $85k, what's another $10k to get an LX or a Range Rover? Or a GLS? It's not all about reliability at these price points. That's clear when you look at what vehicles sell the best.

The Land Cruiser doesn't feel like $85k at all IMHO. Tahoes feel more upscale.
I wouldn't consider something that expensive either, even though I could afford one if I wanted it badly enough. I did the review on request from another CL member. But, on the subject of paying even more for a Range Rover, like I told BrownPride, I'd question the wisdom of doing that, and taking a big chance with reliability, just to own something with that panache of a nameplate or be able to show it off at the country club.
Old 05-16-16, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It's not the cost itself, clearly I'm okay spending that amount on a car, it's the Land Cruiser as a product. There's no "wisdom" in buying any luxury product. You buy it because it's something you want, but something that's a smart buy or something you buy out of need. All you have to do is look at the sales figures. Overwhelmingly people prefer the Range Rover, reputation for unreliability or not.

It's not just about brand or prestige, that's part of it, but a Range Rover is a significantly nicer vehicle inside, just as capable, styling is better, etc.

I also know several people with modern Range Rover that have no issues. I'd roll the dice and try one.
Old 05-16-16, 08:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't even consider a Land Cruiser. When you're paying $85k, what's another $10k to get an LX or a Range Rover? Or a GLS? It's not all about reliability at these price points. That's clear when you look at what vehicles sell the best.

The Land Cruiser doesn't feel like $85k at all IMHO. Tahoes feel more upscale.
Old 05-16-16, 02:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

MM, with some of the snide comments you get on these reviews it really must feel sometimes like no good deed goes unpunished ....

Keep up the good work. I find your reviews to be excellent, and focused on things that buyers in general should/would care about
Old 05-16-16, 02:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Nice review. Unfortunately I just can't become a fan of the Land Cruiser. It's too expensive for what it is. Would much rather get a GL, RR, or LX for about the same or a little more. I can't see the justification behind a near-$90,000 Toyota.
The Land Cruiser is for a certain type of person. The person wants very good quality, excellent performance, the most capable Toyota SUV in the United States in regards to how much in can tow and something that is super rare.
Old 05-16-16, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
MM, with some of the snide comments you get on these reviews it really must feel sometimes like no good deed goes unpunished ....

Keep up the good work. I find your reviews to be excellent, and focused on things that buyers in general should/would care about
Thanks. Appreciate your comments...and glad you enjoy them. Next one coming up will (probably) be the Cadillac CT6....with the XT5 and Lincoln Continental scheduled after that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-16 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the most capable Toyota SUV in the United States in regards to how much in can tow and something that is super rare.
Given the LC's strong popularity in the deserts of the Middle East and in a number of other primitive Third-Word areas, I'd say more than just the U.S.
Old 05-16-16, 04:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Land Cruiser just like the LX does not need to make sense. Its as SW15L said, these purchases have a more emotional rather then logical purchasing decision making.

At $85k its sounds crazy for a Toyota, but the cult following for the LC is there. People who bought into the LX/LC nameplate just pick it up cause they like what they see. Plus most likely then not, they have had tons of fun in them, without any hassle over their ownership

The reason to go RR is the same, you dont see people buying it cause its got amazing off roading chops, or scared due to its reliability, its cause its a RR. Same thing with the senile G Wagen.

At that end of the price range the purchase decision is just a matter of what I want mostly rather then will it be a logical decision.

@mm Loved the review. Very spot on. Would love to see a GX460 review if possible.
Old 05-16-16, 04:30 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Land Cruiser is for a certain type of person. The person wants very good quality, excellent performance, the most capable Toyota SUV in the United States in regards to how much in can tow and something that is super rare.
Yep it's a niche product with limited appeal to most luxury buyers who expect a luxury nameplate at that high price.
Old 05-16-16, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber

@mm Loved the review. Very spot on.
Thanks.

Would love to see a GX460 review if possible.
I'll put it on my review-list, but it may not be in production much longer for the American market, due to the upcoming TX crossover-SUV which is likely to replace it. In other markets, of course, the GX is marketed as the Land Cruiser Prado (150) series.
Old 05-16-16, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I personally don't think we will see a TX now that we are going to have a 3 row RX. My guess is we will continue to see the Prado based GX here.
Old 05-16-16, 06:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

I'll put it on my review-list, but it may not be in production much longer for the American market, due to the upcoming TX crossover-SUV which is likely to replace it. In other markets, of course, the GX is marketed as the Land Cruiser Prado (150) series.
I heard the earliest we`ll see what happens to the GX is 2018. 2017 GX based on the current design is confirmed, by a press release. This is inline with the RX-L (whatever its called) launch date. So lets see if what happens
Old 05-16-16, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I heard the earliest we`ll see what happens to the GX is 2018. 2017 GX based on the current design is confirmed, by a press release. This is inline with the RX-L (whatever its called) launch date. So lets see if what happens
OK, Friend......review you want, review you get. It's on the list.
Old 05-16-16, 11:46 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The LC/LX may not make sense in the US market because most roads can be driven on by normal cars. If you want to go off road, you'll probably use a hardcore machine like a Wrangler. In other parts of the world, it's not possible to drive on tarmac everywhere so you need an all-in-one machine that can handle sand dunes, rough gravel and tropical timber trails along with comfortable highway cruising. And you also don't want it to break down in the middle of the outback . That's the LC's real niche, not looking like a huge metal elephant down at the country club.
Old 05-17-16, 03:50 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The LC/LX may not make sense in the US market because most roads can be driven on by normal cars. If you want to go off road, you'll probably use a hardcore machine like a Wrangler. In other parts of the world, it's not possible to drive on tarmac everywhere so you need an all-in-one machine that can handle sand dunes, rough gravel and tropical timber trails along with comfortable highway cruising. And you also don't want it to break down in the middle of the outback . That's the LC's real niche, not looking like a huge metal elephant down at the country club.
Exactly, even though the land cruiser might not look the flashiest or most luxurious, it is also a status symbol in many countries around the world.

The Land Cruiser is the vehicle of choice to carry UN dignitaries around war zones.
I have seen and experienced firsthand how much abuse a 200 series Land Cruiser can take, not surprising because Toyota really tests these vehicles in the harshest of conditions and for very long periods of time, you add that with the experience they already have with building a incredibly durable, high quality and capable four wheel drive and the result is very impressive.

You can easily use it as a work vehicle, infact some versions in the middle east have 2 full size real spare tires + electric winch + (36 gallons) we get standard here, and a manual transmission on select versions. No other direct competitor offers all these options combined in one vehicle, not even the Nissan Patrol.

It is also used by the Police/Military.

A favorite of many armoring agencies too.

http://www.army-technology.com/proje...e/1l-image.jpg

Thank you for the review MM

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-17-16 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser