Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan buys out part of Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The blind leading the blind. =/
Old 05-15-16, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You didn't choose a Mitsubishi when you were car shopping a few years ago.
Well, if they still sold the Diamante here, I might have have considered it....the last one I test-drove was a rather impressive sedan. (I don't know if you ever got a chance to drive a Diamante or not). But little of what's left of their present line-up interests me, although the Outlander Sport has an attractive price for those on a budget. Still, even if the company still had a full lineup to offer, that doesn't do it much good without retail-outlets. Not that long ago, in the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia where I live, there were maybe 3-4 Mitsubishi dealerships within reasonable driving distance. Today, none are left....and there are only a couple of them left across the Potomac river in Maryland. Not long ago, a friend of mine from Carson City, NV talked to me, on the phone, about a possible new Outlander Sport (I've already mentioned the attractive price)...and when I did a dealer-search for him, the closest one was 80 miles away....well past Lake Tahoe into California. So much for that.

Despite company insistence otherwise, Mitsubishi seems to be taking the same route that Isuzu and Suzuki took before leaving the American market.....the fading away of all of their retail outlets.
Old 05-16-16, 06:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if they still sold the Diamante here, I might have have considered it....the last one I test-drove was a rather impressive sedan. (I don't know if you ever got a chance to drive a Diamante or not). But little of what's left of their present line-up interests me, although the Outlander Sport has an attractive price for those on a budget. Still, even if the company still had a full lineup to offer, that doesn't do it much good without retail-outlets. Not that long ago, in the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia where I live, there were maybe 3-4 Mitsubishi dealerships within reasonable driving distance. Today, none are left....and there are only a couple of them left across the Potomac river in Maryland. Not long ago, a friend of mine from Carson City, NV talked to me, on the phone, about a possible new Outlander Sport (I've already mentioned the attractive price)...and when I did a dealer-search for him, the closest one was 80 miles away....well past Lake Tahoe into California. So much for that.

Despite company insistence otherwise, Mitsubishi seems to be taking the same route that Isuzu and Suzuki took before leaving the American market.....the fading away of all of their retail outlets.
I actually owned an '89 Eclipse Turbo, which was a blast to drive and looked like nothing else on the road. I got a promotion in '92, and to celebrate I traded it for a '92 Diamante, which was kind of a BMW knock-off on the outside and definitely had its own personality on the inside. It was a nice car. I traded that for a '93 Infiniti J30 because they had unbelievable ($399 per month) lease rates. I still remember the Infiniti salesman saying about the Diamante, "Yes, Mitsubishi really wanted to create a luxury product but they didn't quite get there." I guess Infiniti could take that same lesson today.
Old 05-16-16, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I still remember the Infiniti salesman saying about the Diamante, "Yes, Mitsubishi really wanted to create a luxury product but they didn't quite get there." I guess Infiniti could take that same lesson today.

Yes, Infiniti sure can't point any fingers there. They tried for 15 years to sell their big Q45 sedan here in the U.S. and finally gave it up.
Old 05-19-16, 06:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Mitsubishi president resigns in wake of fuel economy scandal

Mitsubishi has announced the resignation of two of its top executives as the company is embroiled in a scandal over its fuel-economy figures. Chief among the resignations is Tetsuro Aikawa, the company's president and chief operating officer (pictured above at left, bowing), who assumed the position less than two years ago. Joining Aikawa-san on the way out is Ryugo Nakao, one of three executive vice presidents of the company and the man responsible for product planning and quality at Mitsubishi.

Though two of his principal deputies are leaving, the top executive at Mitsubushi retains his seat for the time being. Osamu Masuko (pictured above at right, seated) serves as both chairman and CEO, however with Nissan assuming over a third of the company's ownership, Masuko-san could still be replaced. A shareholders meeting is scheduled for June 24, when Aikawa and Nakao's resignations are set to take effect. According to the statement below, the company "will decide on the successors of both Representative Directors at our board of directors' meeting and make an announcement promptly."

The resignations of the top officials come in the wake of revelations that Mitsubishi had falsely reported the fuel-economy figures of its vehicles for decades. The broadening scandal was uncovered when Nissan tested vehicles which Mitsubishi manufactures on its behalf and found discrepancies. As his company prepares to take control of the ailing automaker, Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn says that the greatest challenge will be restoring Mitsubishi's reputation.

In a similar development, Suzuki also admitted to improper fuel-economy testing. The rival automaker claims that the measures were taken without the knowledge of senior management.
Source: Autoblog

The resignation of 2 of the top executives paves the way for Nissan to start appointing its own, hand-picked senior managers, as their new one-third ownership of Mitsubishi gives them the right to do.

Should we be surprised if Carlos Ghosn is (eventually) appointed as both Chairman and CEO of Mitsubishi, the same position he currently holds at both Renault and Nissan? Nissan owns one-third of Mitsubishi, giving it the right to name board members and senior management; in turn, Renault owns more than one-third of Nissan, which gave Renault control of Nissan.

On the related subject (at the bottom of the quoted article), should it come as a surprise that another automaker admits to falsifying fuel economy claims? Perhaps Suzuki learned a little too much from their alliance with Volkswagen?
Old 05-19-16, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mitsubishi president resigns in wake of fuel economy scandal
This is not the first corporate scandal involving Mitsubishi by any means. On more than one occasion in the past, Mitsubishi officials have even gone to prison. And the history of the Diamond-Star plant in Normal-IL, which was a joint Chrysler/Mitsubishi plant for years, is one of the ugliest in the auto industry. Not only was vehicle-quality abysmally bad, especially during the time they were building the Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser there (I remember reviewing them), but almost every kind of trouble at that plant that one could think of materialized.....labor problems, racial problems, sexual-harassment, sabotage.....you name it. IMO, it made what recently happened at VW (bad as that was) look mild in comparison.