Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKX advice

Old 05-11-16, 07:54 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lincoln MKX advice

Mi wife's 2014 RX lease will be coming to an end in a few months. As much as we love the car, we cannot stomach the looks of the Gen 4. The fact that it increased 6" and lacks bumpers doesn't help its case either. The MDX is almost out of contention due to its schizophrenic dual screen setup and unrefined finish. The Q5 lack as a few basic toys and can get very expensive. The Q60 is too sporty.
That leaves us with the new Lincoln MKX. The car looks great and although it is well reviewed by the press, I would like to hear if anybody from this forum has had experience with it.
I rummaged through a handful of Lincoln forums and was surprised to see that there is very little activivity/postings in them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-16, 09:32 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I rode in one in the back seat for a black car service to the airport once. Its very comfy. I don't know much details about the car, but it was very comfortable in the back seat. Sorry this is all the info i know about the car and i know other car service companies are using it as well.
Old 05-11-16, 09:39 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

wrong forum!

Go here --- http://lincolnmkxforum.com/forum/38-2016-mkx/
Old 05-12-16, 02:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

If the 2014 RX has been good to you, why not buy it after the lease is up? Out of everything you listed, I think it would be ontop of everything else.
P.S. Beware, most recent Lincoln and Ford SUV's have had average to poor reliability.
Old 05-12-16, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lalin
That leaves us with the new Lincoln MKX. The car looks great and although it is well reviewed by the press, I would like to hear if anybody from this forum has had experience with it.
I rummaged through a handful of Lincoln forums and was surprised to see that there is very little activivity/postings in them.
I did a full-review on the new MKX last year when it was first introduced. I ended up with a fully-loaded, top-of-the-line model listing for around 60K, but only because it was the only one available for a review at the time. You can get one in the 40s or 50s, but with less equipment.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ncoln-mkx.html

I agree with Fizzboy, though, about potential reliability.......recent Ford/Lincoln SUVs have not been the best in that department.
Old 05-12-16, 06:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Mi wife's 2014 RX lease will be coming to an end in a few months. As much as we love the car, we cannot stomach the looks of the Gen 4. The fact that it increased 6" and lacks bumpers doesn't help its case either. The MDX is almost out of contention due to its schizophrenic dual screen setup and unrefined finish. The Q5 lack as a few basic toys and can get very expensive. The Q60 is too sporty.
I'm currently looking for a replacement for our Q5 and the new MKX is on the list. Although it might be a bit to big for our needs. Ford/Lincoln is pricing them on the high side IMO. A decently equipped one hits $50k quickly and can go to well over $60k. Lincon is offering some incentives on it. I liked the way it looks and drives. Most of the reivews I've read say the 2.7l Eco Boost engine is the best fit, It is a $2k option. Even though I don't normally keep cars much beyond the factory warranty period, reliability is a concern. Hopefully that's improving. Have you looked at the MKC?
Old 05-12-16, 06:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm currently looking for a replacement for our Q5 and the new MKX is on the list. Although it might be a bit to big for our needs. Ford/Lincoln is pricing them on the high side IMO. A decently equipped one hits $50k quickly and can go to well over $60k. Lincon is offering some incentives on it. I liked the way it looks and drives. Most of the reivews I've read say the 2.7l Eco Boost engine is the best fit, It is a $2k option. Even though I don't normally keep cars much beyond the factory warranty period, reliability is a concern. Hopefully that's improving. Have you looked at the MKC?
what about resale? That would be my concern... usually with American cars, press loves them in first year and two, but by 3rd year it is the worst car ever (not saying it will happen to MKX, but it happens often).
Old 05-12-16, 06:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Fomoco direct injection engines build up carbon bad on the intake runners and valves. I personally hate turbocharged engines. It's different if we're talking on a diesel. Between bearing wear causing oil consumption. Waste gates that start to rattle and lose power. The ton of extra heat on everything oil, cooling system. Transmission, all the plastic bits that get brittle faster. The heat from the turbo. The heat from the inter cooler before the air blows over the radiator, trans cooler. Just extra headache I can do without. It's getting difficult to find now when gas mileage is king due to cafe standards. It's why I won't buy another bmw. I got the last of the naturally aspirated engines from bmw.
Old 05-12-16, 04:26 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomtom74
No, right forum! The MKX forums, including the one you posted are inactive. The posts are months or even years old.
Also, I want the feedback from Lexus owners, not Lincoln ones.
Old 05-12-16, 04:27 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If the 2014 RX has been good to you, why not buy it after the lease is up? Out of everything you listed, I think it would be ontop of everything else.
P.S. Beware, most recent Lincoln and Ford SUV's have had average to poor reliability.
At one point I consider it, but the truth is we like to change cars every 3 years or so.
We also look forward to the new electronic gadgetry that we currently don't have.
Old 05-12-16, 04:30 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The MKC is really nice and actual "mini-me" of the X. The only problem is that the legroom for the rear passengers is non existent (with the way I drive).
Old 05-12-16, 06:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've read, it's a decent car, with a price tag that's way too high once you add options. C&D's test model was about $63,000. For. A. Lincoln.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx
Highs:
Pillowy ride with respectable handling, gobs of torque.

Lows:
Priced as if the past 25 years never happened.

Verdict:
Based on a Ford but feels like a Lincoln.
Old 05-12-16, 06:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I don't have experience with the MKX, but it is a very tempting-looking vehicle. IMO, one of the most attractive CUVs on the road. I also agree that the new RX is hideous looking, but to each his own.

I'm also in the market for a CUV when my S5 lease is up in December. My concern with the MKX is also reliability, and if there is not a strong forum (probably because most of the buyers are older) there is little support with any issues that may arise. The Lexus and Audi forums have been great for owner input and solutions. I don't know if I could do without that level of support and enthusiasm.

No, the Q5 doesn't have all the latest toys, but it has been on the market for 8 years so Audi has worked the bugs out and the owner issues on the Audi forums are pretty minor. My S5 interior is the same as the Q5, and I still find it very functional and very well finished, albeit understated. I've driven a new A6 and a new Q50 as loaners, and I still prefer my S5. I'm not all about the tech toys. If I can talk hands free, use a nav system and have a direct interface for my iPod I'm happy. For me, it's more about the driving experience. I don't commute. If I did my priorities might be different.

Anyway, lots of choices out there. Some good, some not so good. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by dseag2; 05-12-16 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtom74
I checked out this forum and while I wouldn't call it lively, it isn't bad. There are quite a few discussions going on in the March-May period. I agree that the demographics of MKX owners might not be conducive to a real active forum but some issues and questions are being discussed.
Old 05-12-16, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yikes! And based on the posts I would think twice about going for one. Not bullying Lincoln, but these are not posts you typically see in other auto forums.

http://lincolnmkxforum.com/forum/24-engine-powertrain/

-Shifter not in Park indicator - requires new shift assembly?

-Transmission Replacement

-Power Transfer Unit Leaking

-Faulty Brake Booster

-Power steering pump replacement

-Transmission jerks when shifting

-CV Axle Seal Leaking Drivers Side

Beautiful CUV, but I'll pass!

Last edited by dseag2; 05-12-16 at 07:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lincoln MKX advice