Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKX advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I assume you meant Lincoln MKC . I think you're going to kick yourself if you get an SQ5 when the new model is so close debuting.
Yes, MKC. Just a byproduct of their stupid naming strategy.

I appreciate the input, but I don't think I will be sorry. The new Q5 isn't debuting until most likely mid-2018, plus it will now be built in Mexico rather than Germany so first-year bugs could be a problem. Also, the SQ5 may not be introduced until well after that. Maybe 2019?

I still find the Q5/SQ5 attractive, and the technology is fine for me. It is the same as my S5, which I love, so I'm sure I will be happy with the SQ5 as well.

I've had the latest, greatest, cutting-edge cars all my life... and many were first-year models (Infiniti M45, Infiniti G37 Coupe, Acura RL, Audi A5)... so I'm no longer interested in the latest trends and tech. I just want a great all-around driver's car with impeccable fit/finish. The Audi suits that need.

Besides, I will be leasing, so if I love the new SQ5 I will pick one up in 2019.
Old 05-19-16, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The XT5 is much larger than the others on your list. It is very close to RX350 and MKX in size and price. I drove one of the early deliveries at the local dealer, and it is really close to the RX in about every catagorie. It is nice inside, quiet, with pretty good acceleration but the low speed ride is a bit stiff.
Steve
Thank you. I'll mark that one off the list based on size alone.
Old 05-19-16, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, MKC. Just a byproduct of their stupid naming strategy.
ha... maybe i'm wrong but i just realized that maybe their naming is based on their older names.

they used to have 'mark' versions: mk iv, mk v, mk vi, mk vii etc.

so the cuv/suvs now are mkc, mkx, and mkt which maybe means mk-compact, mk-xover, and mk-touring/tank/towing/?

the sedans are mkz and mks - z i guess is entry level, and s is bigger and the continental is coming, maybe they'll give that another 3 letter combo.
Old 05-20-16, 05:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha... maybe i'm wrong but i just realized that maybe their naming is based on their older names.

they used to have 'mark' versions: mk iv, mk v, mk vi, mk vii etc.
Yes, correct. I was about to explain that but you beat me to it. The problem with Lincoln's naming convention isn't the first 2 letters -- "MK" which have some history to it -- but the last letter.

so the cuv/suvs now are mkc, mkx, and mkt which maybe means mk-compact, mk-xover, and mk-touring/tank/towing/?
MKX: Mark Xover makes sense
MKT: Mark "Truck"?? is a stretch
MKC: Mark "Compact"(?) has always suggested a compact car, such as a Buick Verano, Acura ILX or Lexus CT to me.

the sedans are mkz and mks - z i guess is entry level, and s is bigger and the continental is coming, maybe they'll give that another 3 letter combo.
MKZ: Mark Zephyr -- Not many people remember that Lincoln's badge-engineered version of the Ford Fusion was named Lincoln Zephyr, resurrecting an old name, back in 2005. The problem with that great name is it only lived for a year before Lincoln adopted its new naming strategy, so the Zephyr became the MKZ. It made sense at the time.

MKS: Mark Sedan (or Mark S-Class?)

Continental: I guess MKC is already in use for a crossover.
Old 06-18-18, 02:45 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lalin
Mi wife's 2014 RX lease will be coming to an end in a few months. As much as we love the car, we cannot stomach the looks of the Gen 4. The fact that it increased 6" and lacks bumpers doesn't help its case either. The MDX is almost out of contention due to its schizophrenic dual screen setup and unrefined finish. The Q5 lack as a few basic toys and can get very expensive. The Q60 is too sporty.
That leaves us with the new Lincoln MKX. The car looks great and although it is well reviewed by the press, I would like to hear if anybody from this forum has had experience with it.
I rummaged through a handful of Lincoln forums and was surprised to see that there is very little activivity/postings in them.
Any help would be appreciated.
I realize that this string is 2yrs old and I stumbled across it accidentally. I do belong to the forum and own a 2016 ES350 and a 2010 IS-F.
But, we are getting ready to move and I wanted an SUV beater. I stumbled across this 2010 MKX at a local dealer for $9500.
The car has 130K and the 6. It appeared to be in great shape and cleaned up nicely.
I threw on a 3yr, 36K warranty which should cover me for the time we want the car.
We were out the door for $13K - car, tax, reg, warranty
We'll see how it holds up.

Lincoln MKX advice-lfjj7y4.jpg

Lincoln MKX advice-8ggl7vg.jpg

Lincoln MKX advice-ivy8zrz.jpg
Old 06-18-18, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats but why did you want this? Just to use for moving? Coulda rented a u-haul
Old 06-19-18, 03:25 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats but why did you want this? Just to use for moving? Coulda rented a u-haul
THE main purpose was for moving and settling in. I considered a U-haul but based on prior experience I figured we'd need it for a year or 2.
In a prior move, we were using my wife's ES and hauling stuff it shouldn't have been hauling - pavers, decorative brick, gravel, and stuff that just barely fit.
I had her settling-in and decoration ideas in mind and took the easy easy out
Old 06-19-18, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds good. A ute is certainly helpful with new home 'Honey do' lists