Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKX advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 02:33 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Comparing a Land Cruiser and an LX570 to anything with a Lincoln name on it is silly.
The Navigator handily outsells the Land Cruiser. Remember, 99% of the people who are shopping in this segment aren't buying these to go 4 wheeling, they're buying them to drive around town, to the mall, to the grocery store, etc and they're leasing them.
Old 05-14-16, 02:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
The Navigator handily outsells the Land Cruiser. Remember, 99% of the people who are shopping in this segment aren't buying these to go 4 wheeling, they're buying them to drive around town, to the mall, to the grocery store, etc and they're leasing them.
I agree.

I do not understand how on Earth does the Land Cruiser or LX570 get mentioned in an MKX thread.
Old 05-14-16, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree.

I do not understand how on Earth does the Land Cruiser or LX570 get mentioned in an MKX thread.

It got started in a discussion here about the the prices of luxury SUVs, and how some mainstream non-luxury manufacturers (like Toyota) charge luxury-prices....or more. And, don't forget, last year, you were one of the ones on the forum complaining about the high (60K) price of the top-line, loaded MKX I was reviewing, even though MKXs can be bought, with less equipment and in lower-line versions, for much less.
Old 05-15-16, 09:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The Toyota Land Cruiser is an established nameplate, from an automaker with a stellar reputation obtained over decades of selling quality, reliable products. The Land Cruiser is a benchmark for the type of vehicle that it is, known around the world for decades.
It's exactly why the tundra is a failure compared to the ford f-150 (sells 7:1), an established nameplate, from an automaker with a stellar reputation obtained over decades of selling quality, reliable trucks. not knocking the tundra though, which is a great truck!

The MKX is an overpriced Ford Edge
That must mean the lx570 is an overpriced land cruiser then.

And toyota sold about 800 lc AND lx combined last month so not really a market factor.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-19-16 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-15-16, 11:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Agreed. I'm glad we find some common ground.
Old 05-15-16, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. I'm glad we find some common ground.
True to an extent. I haven't sat down and actually compared each vehicle, individually, item for item (that would be quite difficult). But what I do know about them suggests is that the LX, with maybe a few other exceptions, is basically a Land Cruiser with a different grille, some more wood trim inside, the trick raise/lowering of the vehicle ride-height......and a 5-6K higher base price.

And, of course, at 83-85K, there's nothing really under-priced about the Land Cruiser, either LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-16 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i'm just using tex's logic. i don't agree the lx is an overpriced land cruiser. if i wanted to spend that much on a vehicle and its high running costs (gas!), i'd love to have an lx570. it's quirky sure, and very old, but it's a supremely smooth air ride with lots of room and excellent reliability.
Old 05-16-16, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

i'm just using tex's logic. i don't agree the lx is an overpriced land cruiser. if i wanted to spend that much on a vehicle and its high running costs (gas!), i'd love to have an lx570. it's quirky sure, and very old, but it's a supremely smooth air ride with lots of room and excellent reliability.
I would agree that its not an overpriced Land Cruiser either. Both are unique and different enough. However, the LX is in reality a Land Cruiser, both are 200 series SUVs by Toyota.
Old 05-16-16, 05:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The LX570 is not an overpriced Land Cruiser because not only does it have better materials it comes with a much higher level of service that you would expect from a Lexus dealership vs. a Toyota dealership. For some, the additional money is worth the service alone.
Old 05-16-16, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not a mod, but it seems like we're getting off-topic with the LC and LX.

Back to the new MKX..........Lalin (the OP), Consumer Reports doesn't seem to have a whole lot of reliability data yet for the new 2016 MKX, but preliminary rests seem to indicate an average reliability record, significantly better then that of the smaller MKC.
Old 05-18-16, 10:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I suggest you take a look at the new Cadillac XT5, it's a beauty and they're at dealers now for test drives.

Old 05-18-16, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I suggest you take a look at the new Cadillac XT5, it's a beauty and they're at dealers now for test drives.
I will be taking a look at that. When my lease is up in December, I'm down to:
  • Audi SQ5
  • Jaguar F Pace
  • Cadillac XT5
  • Lincoln MXC

In that order.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-19-16 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 11:03 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The XT5 is much larger than the others on your list. It is very close to RX350 and MKX in size and price. I drove one of the early deliveries at the local dealer, and it is really close to the RX in about every catagorie. It is nice inside, quiet, with pretty good acceleration but the low speed ride is a bit stiff.
Steve
Old 05-19-16, 05:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I will be taking a look at that. When my lease is up in December, I'm down to:
  • Audi SQ5
  • Jaguar F Pace
  • Cadillac XT5
  • Lincoln MXC

In that order.
I assume you meant Lincoln MKC . I think you're going to kick yourself if you get an SQ5 when the new model is so close debuting.
Old 05-19-16, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I assume you meant Lincoln MKC . I think you're going to kick yourself if you get an SQ5 when the new model is so close debuting.
I'm currently looking for a replacement for our Q5. I'd like to take a look at the next gen, but it's coming from a new plant in Mexico so even under the best of circumstances I'd want to wait for a model year or to two see how things shake out and I don't want to wit that long.

The current gen is now in its 9th model year and while still competitive some areas are in need of updating. Great vehicle overall though. It's our first Audi and has been a great experience.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKX advice