Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKX advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 07:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yikes! And based on the posts I would think twice about going for one.

http://lincolnmkxforum.com/forum/24-engine-powertrain/
It does give one food for thought.....CR gave the MKX a very good review from their Road Test, but no Reliability data available yet. It might be best to wait a few months and see if things change/improve.
Old 05-12-16, 07:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would actually be more interested in the MKC because that is the better size for us, but the owner issues with that one have been massive. Unfortunate. Again, great looking vehicle.
Old 05-13-16, 05:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd rather just get a Ford Edge Sport--loaded comes to about $45,000. Same car underneath.
Old 05-13-16, 06:37 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What's up with the Lincoln reliability issues? They're just Fords underneath and the Edge doesn't have problems with the same mechanical components.
Old 05-13-16, 07:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
What's up with the Lincoln reliability issues? They're just Fords underneath and the Edge doesn't have problems with the same mechanical components.
I looked at some Predicted Reliability info on the Ford Edge and MKX and they are just about the same. Both were rated Average overall.
Old 05-13-16, 03:43 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yikes! And based on the posts I would think twice about going for one. Not bullying Lincoln, but these are not posts you typically see in other auto forums.

http://lincolnmkxforum.com/forum/24-engine-powertrain/

-Shifter not in Park indicator - requires new shift assembly?

-Transmission Replacement

-Power Transfer Unit Leaking

-Faulty Brake Booster

-Power steering pump replacement

-Transmission jerks when shifting

-CV Axle Seal Leaking Drivers Side

Beautiful CUV, but I'll pass!

Almost all the issues are from 2014 and 2015.
I really want to believe in the MKX and MKC...
Old 05-13-16, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

-Power steering pump replacement
???

Most new vehicles today don't have a traditional steering pump...the assembly is driven by an electric motor.

It (marginally) improves MPG by not needing power from the engine to drive a hydraulic pump, and, of course, is less complex and more reliable, but also makes it more difficult for engineers to dial in steering-feel.
Old 05-13-16, 04:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
From what I've read, it's a decent car, with a price tag that's way too high once you add options. C&D's test model was about $63,000. For. A. Lincoln.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx
I got a chuckle from C&D's comments about pricing. Seems like they are following the Cadillac pricing model.

Lows:
Priced as if the past 25 years never happened.

I did notice that Lincoln is offering incentives on the MKX. Low lease rates, 0% financing, $1,000 cash, so along with dealer discounts, that does get the final price down to a more realistic level.
Old 05-13-16, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

From what I've read, it's a decent car, with a price tag that's way too high once you add options. C&D's test model was about $63,000. For. A. Lincoln.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx
Originally Posted by LexBob2
I got a chuckle from C&D's comments about pricing. Seems like they are following the Cadillac pricing model.
Today's luxury nameplates, yes, cost big money. The MKX I reviewed last year (admittedly a loaded top-line model) ran about 60K. Top-line versions of the upcoming Continental and CT6 will run a lot more than that. And, just today, I posted a full-review of a Toyota Land Cruiser (a Toyota nameplate, mind you, not a Lexus, that listed for 85K....the Lexus LX570 version would cost even more. Even the Ford nameplate, in some cases, can ask a fortune for some of their products....witness the six-figures they will want for the upcoming Ford GT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 11:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just priced an MKX with the 2.7 turbo engine, AWD, Nav, and the 22 way seat. It was $54K or about the same price as a moderately equipped RX350. On the MKX, but not available on the RX were the turbo engine ($2000) and the 22 way seat ($1500). It is not cheap, but is not as overpriced as the recent Cadillacs.
Steve
Old 05-14-16, 08:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Today's luxury nameplates, yes, cost big money. The MKX I reviewed last year (admittedly a loaded top-line model) ran about 60K. Top-line versions of the upcoming Continental and CT6 will run a lot more than that. And, just today, I posted a full-review of a Toyota Land Cruiser (a Toyota nameplate, mind you, not a Lexus, that listed for 85K....the Lexus LX570 version would cost even more. Even the Ford nameplate, in some cases, can ask a fortune for some of their products....witness the six-figures they will want for the upcoming Ford GT.
You identify exactly the problem.

The Toyota Land Cruiser is an established nameplate, from an automaker with a stellar reputation obtained over decades of selling quality, reliable products. The Land Cruiser is a benchmark for the type of vehicle that it is, known around the world for decades.

The MKX is an overpriced Ford Edge, from an automaker that hasn't had a true reputation for luxury automobiles in over 40 years.

Comparing a Land Cruiser and an LX570 to anything with a Lincoln name on it is silly.
Old 05-14-16, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The MKX is an overpriced Ford Edge, from an automaker that hasn't had a true reputation for luxury automobiles in over 40 years.
Then that says a lot for the 2Gen Edge, as the 2Gen MKX is head-and-shoulders above the original one in many ways. The original Edge/MKX left a lot to be desired....especially the original MKX, which was little more than just a rebadged appliance.

Comparing a Land Cruiser and an LX570 to anything with a Lincoln name on it is silly.
Yes...from an off-roading standpoint, I agree. What I was trying to point out, though, was that we're talking about a mainstream vehicle-manufactuer (Toyota), rather than a luxury-nameplate (Lexus), still selling vehicles at 85K. Nothing from Ford (and here, I'm referring to Ford rather than Lincoln) runs that kind of money, except for maybe some very large Ford trucks and the Ford GT, an exotic performance car like the Nissan Skyline/GT-R.
Old 05-14-16, 09:20 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, with this.
Old 05-14-16, 09:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...from an off-roading standpoint, I agree. What I was trying to point out, though, was that we're talking about a mainstream vehicle-manufactuer (Toyota), rather than a luxury-nameplate (Lexus), still selling vehicles at 85K. Nothing from Ford (and here, I'm referring to Ford rather than Lincoln) runs that kind of money, except for maybe some very large Ford trucks and the Ford GT, an exotic performance car like the Nissan Skyline/GT-R.
Again, you are totally missing the point. Nothing from Ford runs that kind of money, because Ford doesn't offer a vehicle with the reputation that the other cars have earned, worldwide, throughout decades. Toyota and Nissan didn't just wave their magic wands and introduce those high priced cars--they developed them for years and years.

You compare Ford, which did everything in its power in the 70s and 80s to destroy the Mustang nameplate--one of it's most valuable assets.

What about a Corvette? It doesn't fit with Chevy's lineup or pricing structure? But it continues to exist, as it does, because of the reputation that has been cultivated by Chevy over the years. The fact that Chevy isn't a lux nameplate is irrelevant in the analysis. Same as the Land Cruiser.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-14-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You compare Ford, which did everything in its power in the 70s and 80s to destroy the Mustang nameplate--one of it's most valuable assets.
Actually, in the 1970s, the government itself did more to destroy muscle-cars more than the auto companies themselves......only the Pontiac Trans-Am survived as anything that was even close to a true muscle-car. But, yes, the Pinto-based mid-70s Mustang was a joke....even the 5-liter Cobra II version was barely 150 HP.

What about a Corvette? It doesn't fit with Chevy's lineup or pricing structure? But it continues to exist, as it does, because of the reputation that has been cultivated by Chevy over the years. The fact that Chevy isn't a lux nameplate is irrelevant in the analysis. Same as the Land Cruiser.
Yes, I'll agree on the 'Vette. Forgot about that one.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKX advice