Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name

Former Top Gear hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May's new show on Amazon's streaming video service will be called The Grand Tour.

Unveiling the name, Clarkson said the new show would see them "hosting each episode in a different country".

The trio, who will front three series on Amazon Prime, said name suggestions from fans had been "much appreciated".

Meanwhile, the BBC revealed the new Top Gear series, fronted by Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc, will debut on 29 May.

The BBC Two show announced its return on Twitter, shortly after The Grand Tour was introduced.
Evans was named as Top Gear's new host last year after the BBC opted not to renew Clarkson's contract in the wake of his much-publicised "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.
Clarkson later apologised and settled a £100,000 racial discrimination and injury claim from Tymon.

'A new frontier'

The Grand Tour will launch this autumn and will be available to watch exclusively by Amazon Prime members.

The "round-the-world" format will allow customers of different nations to be in the audience as tickets are to be released through prize draws this summer.

The name befits the presenters' wish to make a new show noticeably different from what they had presented before, which was mainly studio-based with pre-recorded segments and big set pieces.
Top Gear's long-time producer Andy Wilman also left the BBC last year to join the presenters and work with them on the Amazon show.

In a tongue-in-cheek statement, Clarkson said: "We'll be travelling the world hosting each episode in a different country. It's sort of a 'grand tour', if you like. So we've decided to call it 'The Grand Tour'."

In response, May remarked that he was underwhelmed by the name and had "wanted to call it 'Nigel', or 'Roger'".

"We needed a name, and they're names," he said.

Hammond on the other hand, was more positive, saying: "I already love camping, but this is something else".

"We are like our pioneering and prospecting forebears, sallying forth into a new frontier of broadcasting."
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36267294
Old 05-11-16, 10:49 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Cant wait to see this!
Old 05-11-16, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Clever show name

Coincidence or spite that Top Gear and The Grand Tour both start with a T and G
Old 05-11-16, 12:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

The Grand Tour = Top Gear Two.
Old 05-11-16, 01:17 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"**** Heads" would've been better

Read elsewhere
Old 05-12-16, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

^^^ lol

they're funny **** heads though.
Old 05-13-16, 11:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait!
Old 05-15-16, 08:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disappointing. The "Grand Tour" sounds like a winery tour in Cali NAPA Valley country for ole fogies. This is what the big build-up is about? I would feel like I'm on Big Bang Theory on one of the Sheldon character's railroad excursions.

So many other choices: Fast Laps. Next Lap. Clarkson's World. Faster Than You, or Faster U. Etc.
Old 05-15-16, 09:55 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ You are right that the name doesn't really go with your current vision of Top Gear. However, I think Amazon is making it a point to not make it just like Top Gear shown on Amazon, so they are adding their spin about it being shot in different countries, hence a tour around the world
Old 05-15-16, 10:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ You are right that the name doesn't really go with your current vision of Top Gear. However, I think Amazon is making it a point to not make it just like Top Gear shown on Amazon, so they are adding their spin about it being shot in different countries, hence a tour around the world
Since they are throwing out the segments in the studio, maybe they're wanting to make it as more about a travel show with fantastic cars. Which is fine by me, as one of my favorite things about Top Gear were the interesting places they visited. Getting chased out of a gas station by rednecks in LA(lower Alabama) was just as entertaining as them crossing the Makgadikgadi Pan(Botswana Special) in 2wd cars that got stuck. Keep in mind that for the Top Gear audience outside the United States, LA(lower Alabama) might seem just as exotic as Botswana.
Old 05-16-16, 01:10 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Finally I can put that Amazon Prime to use! The #Hype is reaaallllll

Besides the two day shipping of course.
Old 05-16-16, 04:35 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Not bad. Really looking forward to this show. It's really been too long since I've watched these guys.
Old 05-16-16, 05:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It will be a successful show if they stick to their obnoxious pandering, rich-tourists-in-Botswana bits that please their fans. Just seemed like they could have come up with a more vivid engaging show title.

These days you don't need to watch these guys just to find out about the world on your TV or tablet. You've got all sorts of reality TV tourists doing their own shows. There's the guy who catches monster fish and hunts down local lore all over the world. Jumps into piranha infested rivers and all that.

There's the "Survivor" types who either get naked and go in the jungle ala Adam and Eve style or they're on some sort of "research mission" to study something - sharks and crocs do well here. Then there are the foodies who do their thing and run all over Europe and eat pizza and goat cheese.

Seems like the original formula on a wet Briddish airfield with an old 747 being scrapped in the backdrop was more interesting.
Old 05-16-16, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

We get it...you hate Clarkson and the show lol
Old 05-16-16, 08:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Oh absolutely. Most fans (well local fans on CL) are doing the Clarkson Cult Fan Boy thing right now. The trio could do really well but the demographics here are all wrong for Amazon.

At least the stuffy BBC got some younger folks for the Top Gear 2 version. I don't want to watch a bunch of aging drunken Briddish yahoos doing the tourist nonsense just because it's now on Amazon. Let's see what the audience demo turns out to be. BBC debuts at the end of the month and the Three Tourists in Various Countries With British Influence will do their thing.

Quick Reply: The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name