Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 09:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

He's trying to find one. He doesn't like Jeremy because of the punching incident and is now trying to come up with reasons why the Holy Trio are not really popular.
Old 05-20-16, 01:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I am looking forward to watching both shows. As far as my favorite Top Gear host, I always liked James May sensibility, dry wit, and sense of being a proper English Gentleman. That certain sense of doing things right, kind of playing the straight guy but with a bit of tongue in cheek, he was always IMO the funniest and most relatable of the guys on Top Gear IMO.
Old 05-20-16, 06:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
He's trying to find one. He doesn't like Jeremy because of the punching incident and is now trying to come up with reasons why the Holy Trio are not really popular.
To the barricades gentlemen. How dare anyone debate the title of a Clarkson and Co. show on a Lexus forum! Full attack mode and rally the cheer-girls. The empire must not be breached.
Attached Thumbnails The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name-barricades.jpg  
Old 09-26-16, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default The Grand Tour Episode 1

This weekend I got the experience of a lifetime. My friend was able to get tickets to The Grand Tour, and took me along as a guest. We're from NorCal so we drove down to SoCal on Saturday night where the first episode was going to be filmed Sunday afternoon. The producers had us all meet at a local high school and corralled about 350 audience members under a big tent. We had to leave all cell phones and cameras in our cars. From there some charted school busses drove us about 12 miles to a 'secret location'. Honestly it was just in the California desert just west of the Mojave desert. As we pulled up there were a bunch of tents on a dried river bed, and maybe close to 20-25 cars parked there. A few I can think of on the top of my head; RS7, R8, Ford GT (new), F-Pace, G-Wagon, Aventador SV, 4C, Huracán, AMG GT, BRZ, Rapide, GT350, among other supercars. We waited in an open tent and sat on hay bails for a bit. There were refreshments and food while we waited. After about 20 minutes we were asked to create a queue. The Grand Tour staff who were mostly English, had to laugh saying Americans don't know how to form a line . Eventually we all got in order and walked into a biggish but intimate tent. This tent had the typical car paraphernalia like posters and parts everywhere along the walls and some wood floors. Behind the small stage are large windows. This will be an essential part of the show as each week the location will change, so the background will too as they travel the world. So for the first episode you will see the California desert. Next week they are supposedly filming in Johannesburg. Clarkson, followed by Hammond and May walked in and we cheered for a awhile. First thing Clarkson said was '****** the other show'. We got loud . After we settled down, they introduced each other and the cameras began rolling. The show will more or less have a familiar vibe in that there will be introductions, followed by watching them test a specific vehicle, talk about it, segway to chatting with each other and the audience, segment on a featured car around their new test track, possible celebrity appearances, wrap up the video on a specific vehicle, and conclusions. While the studio tent will move around the world as they host each show, they found a new track that will be based in England. Some fun names for the corners of this track where they will do their tests. This episode should start off with a bang, and the car(s) in question are fantastic. Something they never could do on Top Gear that they will on The Grand Tour.. The Holy Trinity (P1, 918, LaFerrari). We were asked by Clarkson himself not to reveal how the cars ranked 1 2 3, so I'll respect his and TGT's wishes. The chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond, and May share is incredible and genuine. You can tell they enjoy each other's company despite the hard knocks and jabs. It's really brotherly love. If they film in the U.S. again I highly recommend people apply to be an audience member. It was truly an amazing experience and I feel very blessed to have seen them in person.
Old 09-26-16, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. Glad you got a chance to see them in person. James May always struck me as probably the most intelligent of the three when it comes to their actual forte....cars.
Old 09-26-16, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

How awesome! What an experience!
Old 09-26-16, 06:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

How did he get the tickets? there was a raffle for tickets on Amazon's website a few months ago. That is on my bucket list
Old 09-26-16, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

oh man, awesome score, good for you!

thanks for the background and info... when will it be available on amazon?
Old 09-26-16, 10:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's the thing about Clarkson, Hammond, and James May, if they met outside of work, they'd still be good drinking buddies, really tight friends with a common bond. That's why Top Gear was so watchable and brilliant, you just got the impression that these were just rather ordinary blokes, good friends with a common interest, yet they couldn't be more different in terms of personality.
Old 09-27-16, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
How did he get the tickets? there was a raffle for tickets on Amazon's website a few months ago. That is on my bucket list
He just applied online. If they liked your entry you'd receive a call. The TGT team mentioned they phoned 14,000 people to conduct secondary interviews and hammer out the episodes audience.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

oh man, awesome score, good for you!

thanks for the background and info... when will it be available on amazon?
​According to Clarkson, mid November.
Old 09-27-16, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

November 18th. Each episode will be released weekly just like top gear instead of all at once.