Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 05:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

How are we doing the "Clarkson Cult Fan Boy"thing because we like these guys and their show and we're positive about what they're going to do on Amazon?

We get it, you don't like them and that's fine but why are we all of a sudden cult fanboys because we don't agree with you?
Old 05-17-16, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The trio could do really well but the demographics here are all wrong for Amazon.
really? you're saying no-one but millennials shop on amazon?
Old 05-17-16, 04:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I think we found Oison Tymon's CL account guys!
Old 05-17-16, 07:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think we found Oison Tymon's CL account guys!
Actually it's Oisin Tymon, not Oison Tymon. "i" as opposed to "o" in an Irish person's name. Yeah those weird foreign Irish names working for the BBC, it's strange.
Old 05-17-16, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Actually it's Oisin Tymon, not Oison Tymon. "i" as opposed to "o" in an Irish person's name. Yeah those weird foreign Irish names working for the BBC, it's strange.
Sorry he misspelled your name.
Old 05-17-16, 08:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? you're saying no-one but millennials shop on amazon?
A valid point. I talk about the hosts in terms of tv demo.

Here you have aging hosts who've been around since forever. It was a BBC show and it had boring hosts and stuffy-stuff nonsense. These guys brought a new game. But at the end they and/or Clarkson screwed it up and it took a flashpoint to do it.

They are celebrities and experiential hosts. Meaning... you go along with them for their adventures. You're involved the minute you tune in. But what reality show doesn't do that nowadays?

By now most people are going to be in a couple of camps:

1. I heard about Clarkson and Co. through controversy.

2. I am a loyal follower of Clarkson, Mays, Hammond and I will tune in no matter what.

3. What channel do I need to tune into on any medium to do this and will I hang on to be a loyal viewer.

The 20-something crowd does not need to listen to the BBC or "new" Top Gear" or the Grand Tour for a whole lot. They create their own shows through GoPro, Canon 5D EOS etc.

Why not let the ratings decide on both these shows? I will.

I sure don't like some of the hosts of the revamped Top Gear, but I would like to give that show a chance. Clarkson and Co.? I have already seen and read and understood them. One thing I now know for sure is that aging ancient types on a stage are only good when it's the Rolling Stones, ZZ Top or Kiss.
Old 05-18-16, 11:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 26 and I know tons of people my age who love Clarkson, Hammond and May.
Old 05-18-16, 11:56 AM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I was watching top gear on Netflix and found this scene with Clarkson in the LFA

Old 05-18-16, 08:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Television is a notoriously bad medium. It defines itself with a strange ideology of supporting what's popular vs what's right.

Top Gear's strange descent into a big time star punching his producer over a minor detail is now an illustration of this.

I look at the hosts of both of these shows, and one will be popular and one will be right but I know one of these shows is aging very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name-tghoster.jpg   The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name-grandtour.jpg  
Old 05-19-16, 04:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

swajames, time to exit the thread.
Old 05-19-16, 05:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Jeremy Clarkson is 56. James May is 53, Richard Hammond is 47.

Chris Evans is 50. Matt LeBlanc is 49. Eddie Jordan is 68! Sabine Schmitz is 47. Sure the other two are younger but let's not pretend that an entire generation exists between Clarkson, Hammond and May and the new group.
Old 05-19-16, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Television is a notoriously bad medium.
says you.

that's like saying the internet is a bad medium. there's good and bad on both, but pretty much something for everyone. if you don't like it, you can always turn the channel, turn it off, or unsubscribe.

It defines itself with a strange ideology of supporting what's popular vs what's right.
huh? tv channels support what makes money, whether to you it's shlock or intellectual genius.

I look at the hosts of both of these shows, and one will be popular and one will be right but I know one of these shows is aging very quickly.
i agree the grand tour hosts are getting 'up there' in age, but hammond in particular is a very youthful guy, and the three have always behaved like adolescent boys which is much of the charm of the show... them being 'naughty' and getting away with doing stupid things many of the viewers would love to do. so it's voyeurism combined with juvenile behavior - a sure winner for ratings.
Old 05-19-16, 08:42 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Top Gear is going to be a mess with 6 hosts.

I'm eager for the Grand Tour to begin.
Old 05-19-16, 06:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
says you.

that's like saying the internet is a bad medium. there's good and bad on both, but pretty much something for everyone. if you don't like it, you can always turn the channel, turn it off, or unsubscribe.

huh? tv channels support what makes money, whether to you it's shlock or intellectual genius.

i agree the grand tour hosts are getting 'up there' in age, but hammond in particular is a very youthful guy, and the three have always behaved like adolescent boys which is much of the charm of the show... them being 'naughty' and getting away with doing stupid things many of the viewers would love to do. so it's voyeurism combined with juvenile behavior - a sure winner for ratings.
I think you're correct that ratings support the old Top Gear and its hosts. My point is to look to the future about demographics etc. Peter Pan was the only ageless adolescent and he was a fairy tale Disney creation.

The reboot has more diversity. This is a key element. The Grand Tour is same ole same ole. I'm looking forward to the day Kim Kardashian drives with the guys on their Grand Tour adventures because... well she gets ratings too. And she's got cult status. Why not? It's popular and she's popular.
Old 05-19-16, 07:23 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

So... what's the problem exactly?

Quick Reply: The Grand Tour: Amazon reveal Clarkson, May and Hammond show name