Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rant: Why can't we buy small, cheap trucks now days????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 07:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is unfortunate but as with most segments, automakers only build what sells enough to justify. Compact trucks nearly died in the states altogether with only the Tacoma pulling in sales until GM relaunched their new ones. Ford, Chrysler, GM all pulling from the market because the majority of the truck market wants full size.

Small and stripped almost can't be found anywhere in the US market. Manuel locks and windows can't be had anymore. The market is just too small for such models. Really, if you were going to spend so little for a car, most choose to buy a used car to get more car. You soon won't be able to buy a car without a backup camera never mind.

Tacoma's now start at nearly $24K and you can get 'em past $40K! The only option is to go used.
Old 05-11-16, 08:23 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah. I want a VW rabbit pick up diesel. Always loved those things
Old 05-11-16, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Yeah. I want a VW rabbit pick up diesel. Always loved those things
No, with all due respect, you DON'T want one of today's VW diesels IF you care about emissions....although the company, in response to the scandal, is working on repair and/or re-certifications of existing ones.
Old 05-12-16, 05:27 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. I mean I always wanted a 1980's VW rabbit pickup
Family had a lot of rabbit diesels. I always liked those little rabbit pickups, for whatever reason. Lol
I wouldn't touch a new one....
Old 05-12-16, 05:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, it was the reverse. The full-size models cannibalized sales of compact trucks because, in order to make a profit and cover costs of production, the manufacturers had to price smaller trucks so close to the full-size models that many buyers saw the handwriting on the wall and just went for the full-size models instead
Not true at all. Trust me, I actually purchased two of them. My 1996 Ranger extended cab was fairly well-equipped--no power locks or windows, but most other options, sport seats, chrome wheels, automatic and the largest engine. It cost $15.7k new. A comparably-equipped F150 was in the $25k range.

My 2000 Dakota extended cab V8 with literally every single option except auto trans and engine block heater, was $20k. The Ram 1500 I test drove to find out if I'd like the clutch/transmission before placing my order was $23k. It was a stripper work truck, flat white paint, standard cab/short bed, no AC, power nothing, no radio, steel wheels, vinyl seats and rubber floors. Similarly equipped to my Dakota would have been over $30k.
Old 05-12-16, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Not true at all. Trust me, I actually purchased two of them. My 1996 Ranger extended cab was fairly well-equipped--no power locks or windows, but most other options, sport seats, chrome wheels, automatic and the largest engine. It cost $15.7k new. A comparably-equipped F150 was in the $25k range.

My 2000 Dakota extended cab V8 with literally every single option except auto trans and engine block heater, was $20k. The Ram 1500 I test drove to find out if I'd like the clutch/transmission before placing my order was $23k. It was a stripper work truck, flat white paint, standard cab/short bed, no AC, power nothing, no radio, steel wheels, vinyl seats and rubber floors. Similarly equipped to my Dakota would have been over $30k.
Right, that was 20 and 16 years ago. What he's saying is that over time carmakers started pricing those small trucks closer to the full size trucks, and people started buying the full size trucks instead, and he's right.
Old 05-12-16, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Driving my 2004 Tacoma tonight, I kind of realized that it is an extinct breed, at least here in United States. The truck was $12,000 brand new(dad bought it for that price in 2004, not sure of the actual MSRP). Its 2wd, reg cab, short box, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, no options. Standard equipment included a/c, power steering, power brakes, carpet with floor mats, cloth 1 piece bench seat that does not recline, and the Toyota reputation that it is dirt cheap to service and doesn't break.
you're right, the market for noisy relatively uncomfortable trucks with no features (seats don't even recline!?) is very small today. i know you love it but if such a truck were built today they'd sell almost none.

Granted I do like the new Tacoma, its a great truck provided you get the V6(4 cylinders are a dog considering how big/heavy this truck is), but man its huge, you can't reach into the bed, and with the V6 its $30,000. My 2004 Tacoma, at $12000, adjusted for inflation is $15,000 in 2016.
so you're comparing a WAY bigger modern truck version with V6, all modern safety features, to your '04 Tacoma? not exactly a relevant comparison. oh and according to toyota's website, starting msrp is $23,660. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ and nissan frontier starts at just $18,290. http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/frontier

I just don't get it, we can have stripper Kia Rio sedans for $15,000, but why can't we have a small, workhorse truck for the same price????
because it won't sell and even if it does, there's too little profit in it.

Originally Posted by dicer
Any new low cost vehicles are not allowed in this country. The big ones don't want competition.
conspiracy much?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-12-16 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-12-16, 10:02 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Right, that was 20 and 16 years ago. What he's saying is that over time carmakers started pricing those small trucks closer to the full size trucks, and people started buying the full size trucks instead, and he's right.
Disagree. In 2009, just over a year before the Ranger was discontinued, its base price range was $15,835-$25,235 for the 4 different trim levels. The well-equipped 4WD sport (2nd lowest trim level out of 4) supercab that CR tested cost $26k.

That same year, the base price range for the F150 was $21,565-$44,355 for the 7 different trim levels, which is 40-76% higher. The well-equipped 4wd XLT (3rd lowest trim level out of 7) SuperCrew that CR tested cost $40k, or 54% more. Granted, there's undoubtedly some equipment differences in there. But that's still a dramatic gap.
Old 05-12-16, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Then whats your explanation for why you can't find small cheap trucks here anymore? Where did that consumer go?
Old 05-12-16, 03:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

again, the frontier starts at 18k msrp... hardly expensive.
Old 05-12-16, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yes, that's basically what I meant. Geko29 was correct when he described the market of a couple of decades ago....but the pricing structure of smaller trucks changed since then, and because of that, those small and medium sized trucks lost much of their attractiveness. Today, only the Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, and Frontier survive in the American market, though there is talk of the Ranger maybe coming back.
Old 05-12-16, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
again, the frontier starts at 18k msrp... hardly expensive.
That's about the only one left in the American market in that price range, though. The Colorado starts at a little more....just over 20K.
Old 05-12-16, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just not sure the market is there these days. At various times when I was younger I drove a Mazda B2000 and a Chevy S10 Extended cab. They were crap inside, both with manual transmissions, but they were what I could afford and they were still fun. I think today's young people either really don't care about driving (they wait much longer to get their drivers licenses) or expect to drive something with all the bells and whistle from the get-go. When I was in my late teens my parents pretty much said you can drive what you can afford, so I made the most of it. This also made me appreciate more what I'm driving now.
Attached Thumbnails Rant:  Why can't we buy small, cheap trucks now days????-cheverolet-s10-extended-cab.jpeg   Rant:  Why can't we buy small, cheap trucks now days????-mazda-b2000.jpeg  

Last edited by dseag2; 05-12-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm just not sure the market is there these days. At various times when I was younger I drove a Mazda B2000 and a Chevy S10 Extended cab. They were crap inside, both with manual transmissions, but they were what I could afford and they were still fun. I think today's young people either really don't care about driving (they wait much longer to get their drivers licenses) or expect to drive something with all the bells and whistle from the get-go. When I was in my late teens my parents pretty much said you can drive what you can afford, so I made the most of it. This also made me appreciate more what I'm driving now.

Man those Chevy S10's were all over the place in the 90's/early 00's, lots of people I went to high school/college with had one. The rich kids had the lowered, always waxed and shiny Xtreme model with the ground effects. I thought about buying one years ago until I drove it, what a giant pile of poorly assembled, sloppy feeling rattling piece of junk.

Then it seems like overnight, I don't see them at ALL on the roads anymore. I'm thinking it was a combo of them being pieces of crap and all the backwards hat crew running them into the ditch.

The Nissan at 18k MSRP is actually a pretty good value provided that it would actually hold together long term. Buddy had a 2009 Frontier(same truck as the 2016). Right at 100k miles, the a/c compressor failed, the heater core went out, the radiator started leaking coolant into the transmission, which then fried the transmission, the cat converter went out along with the oxygen sensor. Nissan used to make good stuff until Renault bought them out.

As for the Tacoma, yes you can buy one with the 159hp 2.7 liter 4 cylinder engine for $24k. That's still a price spread of $9,000 vs the $15k basic model 2004 I have. Not to mention how ungodly slow that truck is, since its saddled with an automatic, 159hp/180lb-ft torque, and 4000lbs of truck to move around. Granted my 2004 Tacoma makes about the same power, but it weighs 900lbs less, and its pretty slow as well. Hopefully Toyota puts a more powerful and fuel efficient base engine in the truck for 2017.
Old 05-12-16, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man those Chevy S10's were all over the place in the 90's/early 00's, lots of people I went to high school/college with had one. The rich kids had the lowered, always waxed and shiny Xtreme model with the ground effects. I thought about buying one years ago until I drove it, what a giant pile of poorly assembled, sloppy feeling rattling piece of junk.

Then it seems like overnight, I don't see them at ALL on the roads anymore. I'm thinking it was a combo of them being pieces of crap and all the backwards hat crew running them into the ditch.

The Nissan at 18k MSRP is actually a pretty good value provided that it would actually hold together long term. Buddy had a 2009 Frontier(same truck as the 2016). Right at 100k miles, the a/c compressor failed, the heater core went out, the radiator started leaking coolant into the transmission, which then fried the transmission, the cat converter went out along with the oxygen sensor. Nissan used to make good stuff until Renault bought them out.

As for the Tacoma, yes you can buy one with the 159hp 2.7 liter 4 cylinder engine for $24k. That's still a price spread of $9,000 vs the $15k basic model 2004 I have. Not to mention how ungodly slow that truck is, since its saddled with an automatic, 159hp/180lb-ft torque, and 4000lbs of truck to move around. Granted my 2004 Tacoma makes about the same power, but it weighs 900lbs less, and its pretty slow as well. Hopefully Toyota puts a more powerful and fuel efficient base engine in the truck for 2017.
Yes, the Chevy S-10's were so bad they had a label inside that said "Gages" rather than "Guages", but that makes me appreciate my S5 even more!

Quick Reply: Rant: Why can't we buy small, cheap trucks now days????