Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 01:42 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG

Cliffs Notes: Tetsuya Tada wants a performance division, possibly created by integrating Gazoo Racing into Toyota, to rival BMW M and MB's AMG.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/441775/t...sors-to-icons/

The lead engineer behind the Toyota 86, Tetsuya Tada, has revealed a goal to create a performance brand rival to challenge Audi’s quattro GmbH, BMW’s M and Mercedes-Benz’s Mercedes-AMG divisions, while personally dreaming of not only a Toyota Supra successor but also a new version of the iconic Celica GT-Four.

Speaking to CarAdvice while in the country for Australia’s third Festival of 86 event, Tada-san (pictured below) said he is adamant that Toyota needs a dedicated high-performance brand in its future and that the goal is not one he will easily give up on.

“BMW has its M Division, Mercedes-Benz has Mercedes-AMG, Audi has quattro GmbH, so they have a stance of a sports car, but Toyota hasn’t,” Tada-san said.
4 years too late, but better late than never? I do love his comment about the Celica GT-Four. That's the type of car we need in USA right now to keep affordable sportscars going, especially since we didn't get the last one Toyota made.
Old 05-09-16, 03:12 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be really great, bring back the Supra with the 3 liter turbo I6 engine and there would be no reason, at least for me, to buy a MB AMG or Audi S coupe. I actually think a car like the Supra would get many more customers here in Europe than any Lexus F . Supra along with the Nissan Skyline are still what many people here consider as the definition of modern street racing and tuning, and I know a lot of people waiting for a new Supra to come.
Old 05-10-16, 07:40 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Firstly, my disclaimer as a die hard Toyota enthusiast, Tetsuya wake the "F" up. You have proven that Toyota can't really do it. You keep giving us allot of half-baked quasi-performance vehicles which equals, boring.

I say this with allot of aggravation after many years of Toyota's attempts to give us performance oriented vehicles. As an example, look at how many mods new car buyers in this very forum does to get a little better performance out of their new Lexus, some of which should have been available stock, from initial designs, for a performance oriented vehicle as their F line or even the F-Sport.

Anyway, that's my aggravated rant at Tetsuya Tada for the subject of wanting a performance division to rival BMW M & MB's AMG. Gazoo Racing, TRD, F, if you want your cookies half-baked, then wait for it.
Old 05-10-16, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
That would be really great, bring back the Supra with the 3 liter turbo I6 engine and there would be no reason, at least for me, to buy a MB AMG or Audi S coupe. I actually think a car like the Supra would get many more customers here in Europe than any Lexus F . Supra along with the Nissan Skyline are still what many people here consider as the definition of modern street racing and tuning, and I know a lot of people waiting for a new Supra to come.
Nobody would buy Supra in Europe, nobody is buying japanese coupes in Europe anymore.

I dont really trust Aussie mags when it comes to these kinds of interviews. They always translate things wrong on purpose to get story that sounds interesting. They have been claiming that FT-86 will get turbo version for last 4 years.

I simply dont see any demand for Toyota F versions, outside of Japan and USA. They could have sportier versions of Toyota's, but I see no reason for them to have true F versions.
Old 05-10-16, 03:51 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Nobody would buy Supra in Europe, nobody is buying japanese coupes in Europe anymore.

I dont really trust Aussie mags when it comes to these kinds of interviews. They always translate things wrong on purpose to get story that sounds interesting. They have been claiming that FT-86 will get turbo version for last 4 years.

I simply dont see any demand for Toyota F versions, outside of Japan and USA. They could have sportier versions of Toyota's, but I see no reason for them to have true F versions.
The only thing they buy over there is Mustang. Europe is becoming the US. Everything is about bragging right and specs.
Old 05-10-16, 08:10 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The guy seems to be bouncing in two directions.

If he wants to go after the Euro high performance cars, it has to be done within Lexus. they already the the f program so they just need a real commitment to build something on par but hopefully better than the next guy. Hopefully the LC-F will be such a car.

If he also wants to do something within the Toyota brand, then bring over a RWD platform JDM Toyota sedan that can sell some volume and put in a nice mid range Yamaha built V6 miil like the Ford SHO had or perhaps get a version of the Yamaha V8 Volvo had.
Old 05-11-16, 06:34 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

how about just a new V6, please!
Old 05-11-16, 09:26 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Tada San - use the LC new platform + engineer a new V6 twin turbo that is capable to stand power A LA Nissan GT-R engine rival (inline 6 is ideal) + use the FT-1 to build a production version and you can have a kick *** Toyota Supra. Come on Toyota jump back into the times.

You don't have enough current performance cars as it is to talk about a performance brand to add. You have TRD if anything.
Old 05-11-16, 05:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

He will be lucky if the GT86 lives to see next generation.

Toyota makes all their decisions based on sales - nothing else.

The Supra will be MIA almost 20 years from US market.......
Old 05-11-16, 06:02 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Becuase of the strong yen, Toyota is going to lose billions this and upcoming years. Good luck getting any funds for this project from those bean counters at Toyota.
Old 05-11-16, 07:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Becuase of the strong yen, Toyota is going to lose billions this and upcoming years. Good luck getting any funds for this project from those bean counters at Toyota.
Toyota will make few billions less, but they will still have at least $15 billion in profits.

I dont think that GT86 is going anywhere, it is up to Toyoda.
Old 05-11-16, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In all fairness to Tada, the GT-R has hardly been a sales success for Nissan. Toyota would need to come into the market with something that is powerful and sports car-like that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Supra was not within many buyers' budgets when it left the building, much like the GT-R.

The sports coupe (BRZ or whatever it is called for Toyota) was a great start but needs a big brother.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-11-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:42 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
How many really sporty coupes from Japan are there on the European market ? GT86 may be sporty but way, way to weak in terms of power and acceleration. Im talking about 400 hp + cars now . RC-F is the only one i know and its has so bad reviews that even I as an Toyota/Lexus enthusiast dont care much for it.
Old 05-12-16, 09:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They need to stop mixing reliability with performance, and approach it with performance first, and then see if it is possible to make it reliable without affecting performance.
Old 05-12-16, 08:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
They need to stop mixing reliability with performance, and approach it with performance first, and then see if it is possible to make it reliable without affecting performance.
You can do both, performance and reliability. The Camaro and Corvette(minus the engine problems on the 2014 Vette) have proven over the years to be reliable. I say reliable, that doesn't mean particularly well made in terms of fit/finish on the interior bits. The S2000 is another example of a very durable/reliable car, especially considering how high the engine revs.

Where you run into reliability problems is with turbocharged performance cars. If you leave them alone, stock, yes they are reliable. But you know nobody does that, so cars like the Subie WRX, the Supra, Mitsubishi EVO, the 300ZX, they get an unfair rap for being kind of finicky because people mess with them(and in the case of the Subie, break transmissions doing 6000rpm clutch dumps)

Quick Reply: Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG