Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 03:59 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody can make a car like the LFA if they have the money. If you dont have the engineering skills just hire people that have. Look what Koeingsegg made from "nothing" in a couple of years. But dont mention the price On the other hand, the making and development of the LFA and KE are not relevant when it comes to make a DD like Toyota more sporty.
Old 05-18-16, 04:15 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Are you counting the LFA as a F car? As the GS-F, RC-F and IS-F don't really outclass thier competition
I think the LFA counts as an F car, but in the second paragraph of my post, I was referring to Lexus overall regardless. I am of course referring to the LFA in that paragraph.
Old 05-18-16, 06:46 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I think the LFA counts as an F car, but in the second paragraph of my post, I was referring to Lexus overall regardless. I am of course referring to the LFA in that paragraph.
But Lexus is calling the LFA a F car because it is a car that was born with the F performance in mind.

But Mercedes and Audi would build similar competing cars as the LFA under the regular brand such as the SLR, SLS and R8
Old 05-18-16, 06:57 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus/Touota better start turbocharging their cars if they want to compete with AMG/M cars
Old 05-19-16, 12:07 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
But Lexus is calling the LFA a F car because it is a car that was born with the F performance in mind.

But Mercedes and Audi would build similar competing cars as the LFA under the regular brand such as the SLR, SLS and R8
Not sure I understand the comment - the SLR, SLS, and R8 were all built by the performance divisions of MB and Audi (or in the case of the SLR, an AMG-developed engine in a vehicle built by McLaren, which was at the time partially owned by MB), no different than how the LFA was created by a special division of Lexus/TMC. The specific branding is unimportant to my point that F as a division/brand of Lexus simply can't be compared to AMG, M, or quattro, which is particularly ironic since Lexus has created a car that, at the very least, rivals anything those makers have produced.

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Lexus/Touota better start turbocharging their cars if they want to compete with AMG/M cars
I'd rather see Toyota building sportscars focused on driver engagement rather than big barge sedans that need turbos because they are so heavy. Of course, those aren't exclusive; Lexus and Toyota can do both.

Note also that Tada mentioned bringing back some sort of Celica GT-Four replacement, which would likely be a turbo.