Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 06:25 PM
AyeBird
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
4 years too late, but better late than never? I do love his comment about the Celica GT-Four. That's the type of car we need in USA right now to keep affordable sportscars going, especially since we didn't get the last one Toyota made.
It might be 4 years too late but, that could work in Toyota's favor. They could take notes on what the competitors have been releasing/what the consumers want and build a line of cars based on this information. Maybe something within the likes of a Supra but built to today's standards? Who knows?
Old 05-15-16, 08:22 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You can do both, performance and reliability. The Camaro and Corvette(minus the engine problems on the 2014 Vette) have proven over the years to be reliable. I say reliable, that doesn't mean particularly well made in terms of fit/finish on the interior bits. The S2000 is another example of a very durable/reliable car, especially considering how high the engine revs.

Where you run into reliability problems is with turbocharged performance cars. If you leave them alone, stock, yes they are reliable. But you know nobody does that, so cars like the Subie WRX, the Supra, Mitsubishi EVO, the 300ZX, they get an unfair rap for being kind of finicky because people mess with them(and in the case of the Subie, break transmissions doing 6000rpm clutch dumps)
Yes. The Mustang and Camaro have achieved performance and reliability minus the drivers feel of a BMW - where driver and car become one. BMW went through that process to get that tag, and it was expensive for the end customers. Multiple bushing failures and replacements. Something that never shows up on a Toyota owners invoice when it is serviced.
Old 05-15-16, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The lead engineer behind the Toyota 86, Tetsuya Tada, has revealed a goal to create a performance brand rival to challenge Audi’s quattro GmbH, BMW’s M and Mercedes-Benz’s Mercedes-AMG divisions,
Isn't that what the Lexus F-models already in existence are for?
Old 05-15-16, 09:20 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't they first focus on the Lexus F division bringing some real competition to the table. The RCF and GSF, while nice cars in their own right, are hopelessly outclassed by the competition from a performance standpoint.
Old 05-16-16, 07:05 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Why I get so aggravated with this is, Toyota is not new to this game. They're been around for a long time and has extensive resources at their disposal to build, by now, a real performance car, as evidenced, using an an example, by all these build threads in many different forums.

They have TRD, Gazoo Racing, Yamaha, collaboration with other manufacturers, specialty builders, etc. etc. Yet, they don't really seem to know how to make a real sports car. The car starts out in concept sketches as true sports cars then production delivers big heavy GT cruisers that always needs a drop with tacky looking add spoilers.

How much more "learning" from the F-line do they need?
Old 05-16-16, 07:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe they need a new chief chief engineer. Someone with one vision and time to get it done. Akio is a good start, but he also has a company to run as his side gig too.
Old 05-16-16, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

they know how to do it, they just don't like spending the money (return is usually poor) and probably a lot of their management isn't interested, preferring to crank out camry's and suvs.
Old 05-16-16, 11:06 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Isn't that what the Lexus F-models already in existence are for?
The F brand can't even be remotely compared to AMG and M in terms of resources (both financial and manpower), focus, development/engineering intent, variety of products, and marketing power. Even quattro GMBH offers far more than F does, with dedicated in-house production models and far more customization than F-Sport.

What's pathetic about it is that, other than MB's 25-unit CLK GTR and the possible exception of BMW's M1, Lexus has made a better performance car than any of those three ever have. But so far they have never trickled down the technology or lessons learned as they originally promised.
Old 05-16-16, 05:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yes. The Mustang and Camaro have achieved performance and reliability minus the drivers feel of a BMW - where driver and car become one. BMW went through that process to get that tag, and it was expensive for the end customers. Multiple bushing failures and replacements. Something that never shows up on a Toyota owners invoice when it is serviced.
It seems that is not the case anymore. The '16 Camaro was compared to a BMW and was found to be more engaging. I've seen this in several comparos.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/compa...let-camaro-ss/

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write,” boss man Angus MacKenzie wrote at the time. “The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series.” MacKenzie was talking about the brand-new 340i, a car that most certainly did not take home our Golden Calipers. But what if we put our new darling COTY winner up against the gold standard of Teutonic performance machines, the venerable BMW M4?

Well, guess what? The Camaro came in #1, the M4 #2.

Times they are a changin'.
Old 05-16-16, 10:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
It seems that is not the case anymore. The '16 Camaro was compared to a BMW and was found to be more engaging. I've seen this in several comparos.

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write,” boss man Angus MacKenzie wrote at the time. “The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series.” MacKenzie was talking about the brand-new 340i, a car that most certainly did not take home our Golden Calipers. But what if we put our new darling COTY winner up against the gold standard of Teutonic performance machines, the venerable BMW M4?

About to say, the Camaro better drive like a BMW, the V8 models cost just as much as a nicely equipped 328i
Old 05-17-16, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
About to say, the Camaro better drive like a BMW, the V8 models cost just as much as a nicely equipped 328i
One thing that really benefits the new Camaro is the underpinnings/chassis that comes from the Cadillac ATS. The Camaro is no longer really a Chevy underneath.
Old 05-17-16, 08:59 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

Absolutely Correct!!!

The latest 2016 Camaro SS is amazing. When it drives by you, it lets out a sensual feeling, with a soft (not muted) yet engaging heavy purr of the exhausts. the styling, while controversial, is still engaging, and not humdrum.

The M4...sounds like a tin can, and styling is dated at best.
Old 05-17-16, 09:11 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing is for sure I have only seen a few GT86's in Ireland. They cost way too much. No one in their right mind would buy it for 40,000 Euros. For that price, you can get a Mustang.
Old 05-17-16, 12:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing is for sure I have only seen a few GT86's in Ireland. They cost way too much. No one in their right mind would buy it for 40,000 Euros. For that price, you can get a Mustang.
... but you can get a Mustang for the price of a FR-S/BRZ in the USA also.
Old 05-18-16, 12:49 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The F brand can't even be remotely compared to AMG and M in terms of resources (both financial and manpower), focus, development/engineering intent, variety of products, and marketing power. Even quattro GMBH offers far more than F does, with dedicated in-house production models and far more customization than F-Sport.

What's pathetic about it is that, other than MB's 25-unit CLK GTR and the possible exception of BMW's M1, Lexus has made a better performance car than any of those three ever have. But so far they have never trickled down the technology or lessons learned as they originally promised.
Are you counting the LFA as a F car? As the GS-F, RC-F and IS-F don't really outclass thier competition

Quick Reply: Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada wants performance divison to rival M, AMG