Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bye bye Verano?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
FWIW, I chose a Verano as a business car rental a year ago and drove it about 1000 miles as I was curious about the car seeing MM owns one.

Agree with MM that is is quiet, and in fact more than my IS., I'd say like my past RX. Ride was also good most of the time. and fuel economy was excellent (~35 highway mpgs if I recall). Handling too was surprisingly nimble. A great highway cruiser without the feeling of driving a boat.

On the downside, ride got a little choppy over certain road imperfections, driver's seat was uncomfortable resulting in lower back discomfort, seat bottom was lob-sided on the left (maybe contributed to the sore back?), and the Rubbermaid-like dash materials, fit, and finish were nothing to rave about even for this price range.
Agreed that the ride over choppy surfaces is not a smooth as on some other larger Buicks...that's a result of the 18" 45-series tires (Buick, IMO, should have used 16" or 17" wheels and 55 or 60- series tires, but the existing specs aren't bad). The interior materials are a definite step up from what we've come to expect from past GM products in this size/price-range. As far as fit/finish goes, most of it is pretty good, but I agree the swirly-looking fake wood trim-strips don't fool anybody. The two seats (cloth, leather) are quite different in how they look and feel. The leather seats conform more to the natural curves of human backs and thighs.....but have less padding. The cloth-insert seats are, overall, more thickly-padded (a feature I like)...though somewhat uneven with the padding-thickness. In my experience, they don't, in themselves, make a sore back any worse than it would otherwise be (my back/leg problems, when they hit, are due more to simple sciatica than the shape of seats, and I can get sciatica on almost any type of seat).