Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bye bye Verano?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 05:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think it's the short-sighted customers driving these cycles, not the manufacturers. Auto makers are just chasing the demand.
Completely agree. The automakers are making what people want and are buying. They know full well how the cycle works. Some react to it better than others, but that's the nature of the mainstream car business.
Old 05-12-16, 09:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Completely agree. The automakers are making what people want and are buying. They know full well how the cycle works. Some react to it better than others, but that's the nature of the mainstream car business.
Yes, Buick (like Chrysler before it, getting rid of the 200 and the Dart) may merely be responding to buyers' demands but if automakers do not take a long-term view -- considering the long time it takes to design, develop, gain approval and bring a new car to market -- they could be left with nothing that buyers want if the market changes (left with fuel-guzzling SUVs sitting on their dealership lots as buyers look for fuel-efficient cars).

Buick, being a relatively small brand in North America, but with product it may bring over (after some re-development to approve for North America) from China (Buick) or Western Europe (Opel), may be in a better position than Chrysler which is getting rid of North America-only product.
Old 05-12-16, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Although, legally of course, people are free to spend their automotive dollars as they see fit (and can afford), I partially blame the public itself for the topsy-turvy world of automotive product-planning. Seems like every time typical pump-prices for gas in the U.S. go up or down more than just a few cents, John Q. Public rushes out to trade in for either the newest Prius or the newest large truck/SUV as quick as they can get dressed and out the door. Automotive marketers/planners can be (and often are) the bane of my existence, but, in some ways, you have to feel sorry for them. It is not easy trying to guess what gas prices will be, in a world where the slightest event in the Middle-East disrupts the crude-oil market so much, and where public reaction to it can be like lemmings jumping off a cliff. What flies off of dealer-lots today faster than can be delivered may, in six months, sit around on the same lot collecting dust and bird-droppings LOL.
Old 05-12-16, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Thats just how it is in any industry. Consumers are fickle, and guessing what they're going to want next is a moving target. If I knew what consumers in any industry were going to want 3 years from now in any industry I wouldn't be sitting here right now lol
Old 05-12-16, 07:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats just how it is in any industry. Consumers are fickle, and guessing what they're going to want next is a moving target. If I knew what consumers in any industry were going to want 3 years from now in any industry I wouldn't be sitting here right now lol
Where would you be sitting? In Trump Tower? Or on the beach in Dana Point, CA?
Old 05-12-16, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Where would you be sitting? In Trump Tower? Or on the beach in Dana Point, CA?
It would be called "Steve Tower" and it would have all the best views!
Old 05-12-16, 07:57 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It would be called "Steve Tower" and it would have all the best views!
And they would be HUUUUUGE!
Old 05-14-16, 02:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think it's the short-sighted customers driving these cycles, not the manufacturers. Auto makers are just chasing the demand.
True. Although that doesn't seem to alter the way Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan, and Hyundai produce products during the up and downswings. They still offer one or two compacts each. Unless one wants to say Buick is not as mainstream as those brands, and deserves a more narrow market niche?
Old 05-14-16, 03:03 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The old Verano and current Verano/Excelle GT are selling well overseas. Does that mean Buick is only discontinuing the US-market Verano? It's a rare car, a luxurious small FWD sedan that sips fuel, and it would be dumb of Buick to dump it in favor of SUVs that tank the moment gas prices go up.
Old 05-14-16, 05:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
The old Verano and current Verano/Excelle GT are selling well overseas. Does that mean Buick is only discontinuing the US-market Verano? It's a rare car, a luxurious small FWD sedan that sips fuel, and it would be dumb of Buick to dump it in favor of SUVs that tank the moment gas prices go up.
I own one.....I wouldn't say it sips fuel. Its mileage is not particularly good by compact-sedan standards, but that is partly a function of the car's weight from its solid construction and added layers of sound-deadening.
Old 05-14-16, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I think it will be dumb too, but perhaps they are not confident that a second gen will do higher sales than what it is currently selling
Old 05-14-16, 08:09 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's not make excuses for GM and Chrysler by saying this is all the fault of fickle consumers. These companies built sub-par compact cars from the get go and made poor business decisions (who would want to buy a compact Buick that's a rebadged Cruze?). You don't see the Japanese or Koreans having to take steps like this.
Old 05-14-16, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
(who would want to buy a compact Buick that's a rebadged Cruze?). .
Not a rebadge, its based off the Cruze. Similar to the way Escalade/Tahoe, Avalon/ES, LX/LC

From Car & Driver"

"The fair Verano is a small thing that competes with the Acura ILX and uses the same basic platform as the Chevy Cruze. It is quiet, comfortable, satisfying to drive, and it handily beats the one-size-up Regal in sales."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review
Old 05-14-16, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Let's not make excuses for GM and Chrysler by saying this is all the fault of fickle consumers. These companies built sub-par compact cars from the get go and made poor business decisions.
So, at one time, did the Koreans. Times change. And GM and Chrysler are not the same companies they were before the reprganizations/buyouts. I do question, however, GM and Chrysler dropping two excellent small, luxury-oriented sedans that has done well in the U.S. and have a good reputation. Unlike similar past GM/Chrysler products, the Verano and Chrysler 200 are good for more than just rental-cars.

(who would want to buy a compact Buick that's a rebadged Cruze?).
No offense, but I would, Thank-You. First, I have been well-pleased with my Verano...along with the Subaru Outback i once owned, some of the best automotive dollars I have ever spent (and, as a person who reviews and test-drives a lot of different products, I don't say that lightly). Second, although both the Verano and Cruze are related to GM's Delta II vehicle-platform (as is the European Opel Astra), the Verano is FAR more an Astra than a Cruze. In fact, the Verano's interior and basic chassis is almost identical to the Astra's...the major difference is in the GM-derived power rain and Buick Quiet-tuning sound-insulation. That's one reason why I bought a Verano.....it was clearly a departure from the usual GM/Chrysler junk-engineering of its smaller sedans. So, for that matter, is the impressive (for its size) Chevrolet Sonic subcompact.

You don't see the Japanese or Koreans having to take steps like this.
They make their share of marketing goofs. Look at some of the stuff, for example, Acura has introduced...and then had to pull because no one would buy it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 08:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

FWIW, I chose a Verano as a business car rental a year ago and drove it about 1000 miles as I was curious about the car seeing MM owns one.

Agree with MM that is is quiet, and in fact more than my IS., I'd say like my past RX. Ride was also good most of the time. and fuel economy was excellent (~35 highway mpgs if I recall). Handling too was surprisingly nimble. A great highway cruiser without the feeling of driving a boat.

On the downside, ride got a little choppy over certain road imperfections, driver's seat was uncomfortable resulting in lower back discomfort, seat bottom was lob-sided on the left (maybe contributed to the sore back?), and the Rubbermaid-like dash materials, fit, and finish were nothing to rave about even for this price range.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Verano?