Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bye bye Verano?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 07:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For those saying Cadillac needs a smaller, compact sedan, the current ATS is already small enough with a tighter back seat than other small luxury cars. I just see Cimmaron all over again if they try anything smaller or FWD based as an "entry level" car.

As for the Verano, I thought it was a nice car, a loaded Civic, Mazda 3, Focus ST, Golf GTI are all about the same $$$$. They drive sportier where as the Buick has that slick luxury car ride/feel about it.
Old 05-09-16, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, given Cadillac's recent history of poor marketing and pricing issues, it probably does not bode well for an ATS successor unless it's more value for one's money than previous attempts have been.
Just to be clear, we aren't taking about an ATS successor, we're talking about a car beneath the ATS.

I can think of better ways to promote vehicles without vulgarities like that.
You've never seen these?

Perhaps it comes from being from WV, but Chevy has a "redneck-ey" vibe to me.
Old 05-09-16, 08:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

And what are they going to do when that compact Cadillac flops?

The problem is that another Cadillac sedan that size, even a downmarket one, will probably cost too much. (the ATS is a good example, and didn't sell). The Verano's appeal (and why it sells) has been that it offers refinement, quietness, and plush seating (if somewhat cramped inside) at a price only slightly more than mainstream compacts. Cadillac simply does not do that....you pay a Cadillac price.
You can't assume its going to flop. You also need to keep in mind this car is slotting beneath the ATS. If it does similar volume to the Verano it'll be success simply because it'll have a higher profit margin.
Old 05-09-16, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
For those saying Cadillac needs a smaller, compact sedan, the current ATS is already small enough with a tighter back seat than other small luxury cars. I just see Cimmaron all over again if they try anything smaller or FWD based as an "entry level" car.
The Cimarron, though it constantly gets panned by automotive historians, was IMO, except for the powerplant, actually a very nice small car overall. Up front, though, in its early years, it was saddled with a complete joke under the hood...... an unbelievably poor, crude, carburated, noisy, stumbling, non-turbo, wheeze-box of an in-line four that barely pumped out 80 HP, and, in a relatively heavy small car like that, made a snail look fast. When I test-drove one, I liked the rest of the car (interior, styling, comfort, etc...), but I could have walked back to the dealership faster. Cadillac should have used GM's small 2.8L V6 and added fuel-injection (which was available at the time), but didn't....they used that ridiculous carbonated 2.0L four, and it made a nice small car drive miserably.

Later versions, of course, DID have somewhat better power plants, but the damage had been done....the car's initial image was so poor that it never really recovered.

As for the Verano, I thought it was a nice car, a loaded Civic, Mazda 3, Focus ST, Golf GTI are all about the same $$$$. They drive sportier where as the Buick has that slick luxury car ride/feel about it.
With the 18" wheels and wide 45-series Continental Contipro tires, the Verano's handling is quite sporty by previous Buick standards, though, of course, not up to the level of a GTI, Focus ST, or even its own Regal GS brother.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-16 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 08:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You can't assume its going to flop. You also need to keep in mind this car is slotting beneath the ATS. If it does similar volume to the Verano it'll be success simply because it'll have a higher profit margin.
I am sure a Cruze based Cadillac will be profitt.
Old 05-09-16, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I sure hope its not Cruze based. That would be a mistake.
Old 05-09-16, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the profit margin was higher than the Verano's. I have a difficult time myself figuring out how Buick made money at all on the Verano, given the average cost (mid-20s), the extremely comfortable thickly-padded seats, the amount of trim, the high-quality Opel-derived hardware, and the luxury-car level of all the sound-insulation that goes into it. Some details, of course, were overlooked with cost-cutting, like manual controls for the front-passenger seat, and a manual-operated lever for the driver's seat-back rake-adjustment in an otherwise all-power seat. But, in general, Buick really sweat the details on this car for the money.

If it was me, though, I would have given the car a small V6 option rather than the turbo-4, smaller wheels than the 18-inchers it comes with, higher-profile tires than the 45's it comes with, and slightly softer suspension. But I have no real complaints with the car as it is....and it rides noticeably smoother than the new Cascada convertible (which I've test-driven) and its 20" 40-series wheels/tires.
Old 05-09-16, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the profit margin was higher than the Verano's. I have a difficult time myself figuring out how Buick made money at all on the Verano, given the average cost (mid-20s), the extremely comfortable thickly-padded seats, the amount of trim, the high-quality Opel-derived hardware, and the luxury-car level of all the sound-insulation that goes into it. Some details, of course, were overlooked with cost-cutting, like manual controls for the front-passenger seat, and a manual-operated lever for the driver's seat-back rake-adjustment in an otherwise all-power seat. But, in general, Buick really sweat the details on this car for the money.
The Verano is profitable because the Opel, Cruze and Verano are based off the Delta II platform. Same parts bin components.
Old 05-09-16, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Verano is profitable because the Opel, Cruze and Verano are based off the Delta II platform. Same parts bin components.
If it was that profitable in the U.S., Buick would probably be keeping it.

Well, anyhow, it will still be made and sold here through next year, and my bank account is in good shape, so, maybe I'll just pick up a final-year version, unless Lincoln gets the MKC's reliability problems resolved....that's my favorite small SUV.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Perhaps it comes from being from WV, but Chevy has a "redneck-ey" vibe to me.
In WV, of course, Chevies will have to share the road with a lot of Subarus and pickup trucks. Subies aren't red-neck vehicles per se, but are still quite popular there because of the climate and hilly-to-mountainous terrain.
Old 05-09-16, 08:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because something is profitable doesn't mean its the right direction for the brand. I'm sure its profitable, its basically a rebadge, they just don't feel its where the market is headed.
Old 05-09-16, 10:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think GM will once again get caught with it's pants down once the economy becomes unstable (very soon with elections coming up) and gas prices sky rocket (they always do). So Buick will have no small, economical car and have to scramble to design something. That will be a period of struggle and missed sales. It would be smart and worth keeping the Verano around just so they'll have something to pacify that scenario. Many other car brands manage to do this, so should GM. All one has to do is think not so far back to the gas crisis of 2008 when everyone was pushing guzzling SUV's and suddenly stopped buying them. How quickly they (GM) forget.
Old 05-11-16, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think GM will once again get caught with it's pants down once the economy becomes unstable (very soon with elections coming up) and gas prices sky rocket (they always do). So Buick will have no small, economical car and have to scramble to design something. That will be a period of struggle and missed sales. It would be smart and worth keeping the Verano around just so they'll have something to pacify that scenario. Many other car brands manage to do this, so should GM. All one has to do is think not so far back to the gas crisis of 2008 when everyone was pushing guzzling SUV's and suddenly stopped buying them. How quickly they (GM) forget.
I couldn't agree with you more. Gas prices cycle from high to low, and yet auto manufacturers seem to go with whatever the latest trend is, without thinking about what will happen when the pendulum swings the other way.

When gas prices were approaching $5 per gallon, we went to a Mini dealership and they were taking numbers just to talk to prospective buyers. We almost bought one but luckily rode out the gas crisis and stayed in our "adult sized" cars. A little forethought goes a long way.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-11-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I traded our Toyota Prius on a Jeep Grand Cherokee during the gas crisis. I made out like a BANDIT!
Old 05-12-16, 05:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I couldn't agree with you more. Gas prices cycle from high to low, and yet auto manufacturers seem to go with whatever the latest trend is, without thinking about what will happen when the pendulum swings the other way.

When gas prices were approaching $5 per gallon, we went to a Mini dealership and they were taking numbers just to talk to prospective buyers. We almost bought one but luckily rode out the gas crisis and stayed in our "adult sized" cars. A little forethought goes a long way.
I think it's the short-sighted customers driving these cycles, not the manufacturers. Auto makers are just chasing the demand.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Verano?