Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Attn. Multiple Vehicle Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 09:39 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn. Multiple Vehicle Owners

Since I bought my 2016 RX350 2 weeks ago, my 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck, which I want to keep, has officially become the "second" vehicle. The RX is the main cruiser now. The truck is in top shape, and thanks to my girlfriend, it now sits comfortably inside her climate-controlled garage....doing nothing. One of the main reasons I got the RX was because my girl is 5'2 eyes of blue and her knees have gotten tired of the 10" hop into that truck-and also my right knee gets sore as hell in it because of less legroom.
I probably drive about a couple hundred miles a week-under 10,000 miles a year. So to give the Tacoma some runs to keep it healthy will be something interesting.
I was wondering as I figure there are likely folks in here who own more than 1 vehicle to an individual, what do I pay extra attention to with that truck-fuel condition, battery, tires (sitting in one spot for extended time) right? What else? And is it really true about gaskets and seals getting rigor mortis from lack of action and they start leaking?
I used to own two cars at a time when I was young-one for work and one for play, but they both got more than adequate use from a youthful me. Now I am retired (early) and am looking for some good tips on this.

Last edited by Radio88; 05-03-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 10:12 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I drive my e46 to work and lexus weekends. E46 gets around 800 miles per month while lexus gets around 400 miles per month. I kinda drive a lot

But drive your tacoma around the block at least once a month or something. That way the fluid gets around and stuff. I also heard about gasket getting brittle when not using for a long period of time
Old 05-04-16, 02:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If one car stays idle, you may also benefit from a battery trickle charger. "Always on" components such as car alarms or GPS and such can drain a static battery.

Or you can disconnect the battery, but it's a hassle to reconnect/disconnect every time you want to drive it.

I used to juggle two cars and two motorcycles on my own. That was an ordeal, making sure that each was ridden at least once every other week. I still have ended up with a stalled vehicle a few times, but the trickle charger helped prevent that. Lessons learned the hard way...
Old 05-04-16, 09:40 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies. It so happens there is a Deltron battery tender in her garage for her Celica GTS. My truck is in that spot now and I can hook it up to that-she's using her GTS enough to keep up the battery in it.
Far as running the Tacoma, I will make time and destination to do so to make it a good run providing complete warmup and such. I will have to google and ask at what point to start using fuel stabilizer.
My RX is our primary ride for everything now. It's good to have a truck around though-you inevitably will need it for hauling stuff.
Old 05-04-16, 09:53 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

On a side note since you're keeping the truck, have you considered installing power retractable running boards to help with getting in and out?
Old 05-04-16, 10:35 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvmike1
On a side note since you're keeping the truck, have you considered installing power retractable running boards to help with getting in and out?
Hey Mike-I have the optional full-length running boards already on it as I bought the Limited model. Still too tall for her. With the RX, she just needs to swing her little caboose in over to the seat then pull her legs in
The Tacoma, I had to throw down a stepstool and provide her a stability hold to help her up into the seat. This got to be a drag in rainy weather.
Old 05-04-16, 03:51 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had my 2000 Chevy for about 8 years, only put about 2,500 miles a year on it and have had no issues (it has 195k total). It is a long bed (89 inches) extended cab so I don't drive it in tight places, but I make sure to drive it a couple of times a month and the occasional 100 mile freeway trip. It sits outside in the same place. The battery is about 4 years old. A buddy has borrowed it the past three weekends for a move and I have noticed that it is starting more smoothly. I did put an new set of tires on it last year. Even though the tires had plenty of tread, they were 10 yrs old and were beginning to crack.
Old 05-04-16, 04:33 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have had my 2000 Chevy for about 8 years, only put about 2,500 miles a year on it and have had no issues (it has 195k total). It is a long bed (89 inches) extended cab so I don't drive it in tight places, but I make sure to drive it a couple of times a month and the occasional 100 mile freeway trip. It sits outside in the same place. The battery is about 4 years old. A buddy has borrowed it the past three weekends for a move and I have noticed that it is starting more smoothly. I did put an new set of tires on it last year. Even though the tires had plenty of tread, they were 10 yrs old and were beginning to crack.
That is one tough truck!
Old 05-04-16, 07:48 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If you can't drive it every week, just drive it at least every other week and make sure it gets some time on the highway. Shouldn't need a trickle charger at all.
Old 05-04-16, 07:55 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
If you can't drive it every week, just drive it at least every other week and make sure it gets some time on the highway. Shouldn't need a trickle charger at all.
Yeah true. Freeways will be part of the plan for sure. I took it out for a drive today then came back and shot some pics of it while it was out
She still looks great!
Old 05-04-16, 09:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed with this, try not to drive 2 miles in town every time you take the truck out. Drive it 10-20 miles on the highway, floor it when you get on the highway, maybe floor it a few other times, let it rev to redline a couple times. This will keep carbon from building up in the engine.

Oh and it will be okay if you let it sit for a week, 2 weeks or so. I had a 1993 Toyota truck with no a/c, so it sat for most of the summer. Even if it I didn't drive it for a week or two or three, it would always fire right up and ran fine. I just made sure that when I did drive it, it got up to operating temp and drove it at least 10 miles.
Old 05-05-16, 06:29 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed with this, try not to drive 2 miles in town every time you take the truck out. Drive it 10-20 miles on the highway, floor it when you get on the highway, maybe floor it a few other times, let it rev to redline a couple times. This will keep carbon from building up in the engine.

Oh and it will be okay if you let it sit for a week, 2 weeks or so. I had a 1993 Toyota truck with no a/c, so it sat for most of the summer. Even if it I didn't drive it for a week or two or three, it would always fire right up and ran fine. I just made sure that when I did drive it, it got up to operating temp and drove it at least 10 miles.
I never "punch it" with mine but I am not afraid to open it up gradually onto freeways or occasionally to get around a slacker in the fast lane. It has a CAI and dual catback exhaust so cleans out real good when you get on it a little.
Old 05-05-16, 06:50 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Radio88
I never "punch it" with mine but I am not afraid to open it up gradually onto freeways or occasionally to get around a slacker in the fast lane.
I am the same way. No hesitancy driving 75. Another thing I do is periodically add some Seafoam. I know some folks don't like additives, but Seafoam is a cleaner as well as fuel stabilizer.
Old 05-05-16, 12:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've also heard keeping the tank full of gas keeps it fresher longer. Not sure how true this is, but that's what I've always heard, you fill the tank up before you put a car into storage.

I'm not saying top it off every time you drive it, but maybe fill it up when it gets to half a tank.
Old 05-05-16, 01:14 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've also heard keeping the tank full of gas keeps it fresher longer. Not sure how true this is, but that's what I've always heard, you fill the tank up before you put a car into storage.

I'm not saying top it off every time you drive it, but maybe fill it up when it gets to half a tank.
You hear something similar with boats when put up for the winter. Some say full tank prevents condensation, while some prefer to leave tank low, put it stabilizer, and fill up with fresh gas in the spring.

Quick Reply: Attn. Multiple Vehicle Owners